• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Youtube copyright claims

jameslimusic

How would you guys avoid the copyright claim for youtube music covers? I've heard that we are the hits is good?

MusicLife

Subscriber Goal
If you want music with No Copyright then use music from my channel. Is free and with no copyright if you respect what is writen on video description xD

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jameslimusic

jameslimusic

Hi I can't do that because that wasn't the question I make covers and have to choose specific music and was wondering if we are the hits is good because they make deals with the artists to split the ad revenue

Thanks for the help though anyway! :)

Bigjesticles35

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I wonder this too. I am also a musician who does covers and I get a copyright claim for most videos. However I am not monetized as yet so if you get an answer to this question I would also like to know!

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
This was a good explanation from another thread:

Reactions: Bigjesticles35

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
There is no one specific answer to this question. In the end, it all really depends on the songs, the artist and the platform's rules. One of the things I've read is that in order to do cover songs you need what is called a mechanical license. Explaining this is too complicated for me so I suggest you look into this license if you're interested in this. Then there is a sync license apparently that you may also need for your YouTube video if you're making a video to go along with the music.

Basically, the only answer is you have to research every song you want to cover individually to see what your options are and decide at that point what steps you'd like to take to do the cover and post it on YouTube be it getting the required licenses or not.

In the end, there's no real difference between using a song in your video that's copyrighted and doing a cover version of the song as long as the song is copyrighted as well.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yeah Im afraid there is not an answer you are going to want to hear. @Brave Starr is correct about the mechanical license but as I recall that doesn't allow you to do a video. I believe that requires a second license.

Long story short those songs belong to someone else, and while your individual performance belongs to you don't expect to make adsense money from someone elses song (and be prepared to deal with copyright claims and strikes).

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm not a lawyer, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but you're likely going to have to purchase licensing rights, because the song writing, and lyrics are what's copyrighted, not just the recording. The Beatles management often copyright claims/strikes people simply playing cover versions of the songs because of the cord progressions of the music are copyrighted.

Lyrics are copyrighted, so even if your recorded version is original, you're using an artist's original lyrics and words, so you have to license them.

last I heard (mike shinoda purchased licensing rights to play music and cover music in his streams) the cost of said licences are anywhere in rehlm of $5000, $15,000 or $30,000ish. I'm not sure of the exact figure and I'm sure it varies, but I know to legally cover yourself, you do need licensing rights. Again, I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice, this is more "do some research, look into it some more" and just sharing things I've seen and read out of general curiosity. I've got a few musician friends so I find copyright interesting.

Here's a video I found covering the topic a little more
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-x-pnI0bc

Last edited: