• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Tips Are you A/B testing? You should be!

Which thumbnail did you think would win?

• Thumbnail A

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Thumbnail B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
One of the most useful features about TubeBuddy is the A/B Testing features.

Simply put, the thumbnail can make or break your video. For example, you make a great video, everything is superb, but then you skim past the thumbnail and hit publish. No one clicks on your video and you wonder why. However many videos you watch on how to grow on YouTube, it comes down to this:
  • Your title;
  • Your thumbnail;
  • The first line or two of your description; and
  • Maybe your keywords.
In MY view, the thumbnail is the make or break out of all of these. But how do you know whether the thumbnail is going to work? Test.

TubeBuddy's A/B testing allows you to make variants of your thumbnail and run a test to see which one viewers are more likely to click on, and then stick with that.

Compare these two thumbnails - which one do you think would be the winner? (result at the bottom)

Thumbnail A:

SCIATICA OLD.png

Thumbnail B:

sciatic pain relief.png

Take this video of mine, for example, it is a well-established video with almost 4 million views.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R3GDSHS_y8

It was a little stagnant for a while so I decided to change out my thumbnail to see whether a new look would make people click more. I was right! TubeBuddy helped me decide on a better thumbnail that viewers were more likely to click on.

What effect did this have on my video?

YouTube started recommending my video more! Take a look at this graph of Suggested Video stats:

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 08.30.17.png

TubeBuddy has given my video the new "kick" that it needed!

So, which thumbnail was the winner?

Thumbnail B won! That surprised me, as I thought A was much better - but trust the statistics!

THOUSANDS of people saw both thumbnails, and more people clicked on B compared with A, meaning TubeBuddy can be 98% sure that B was the best way to go. YouTube agreed!

Make sure you use the tools at hand - there has never been a time when you have so many resources to test what works (and what doesn't)!

Reactions: Ater

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Simply put, the thumbnail can make or break your video. For example, you make a great video, everything is superb, but then you skim past the thumbnail and hit publish. No one clicks on your video and you wonder why. However many videos you watch on how to grow on YouTube, it comes down to this:
  • Your title;
  • Your thumbnail;
  • Maybe your keywords.
In MY view, the thumbnail is the make or break out of all of these. But how do you know whether the thumbnail is going to work? Test.

TubeBuddy's A/B testing allows you to make variants of your thumbnail and run a test to see which one viewers are more likely to click on, and then stick with that.

Compare these two thumbnails - which one do you think would be the winner? (result at the bottom)

Thumbnail A:

View attachment 5821

Thumbnail B:

View attachment 5820

Take this video of mine, for example, it is a well-established video with almost 4 million views.

It was a little stagnant for a while so I decided to change out my thumbnail to see whether a new look would make people click more. I was right! TubeBuddy helped me decide on a better thumbnail that viewers were more likely to click on.

YouTube started recommending my video more! Take a look at this graph of Suggested Video stats:

View attachment 5819

Thumbnail B won! That surprised me, as I thought A was much better - but trust the statistics!

THOUSANDS of people saw both thumbnails, and more people clicked on B compared with A, meaning TubeBuddy can be 98% sure that B was the best way to go. YouTube agreed!

Make sure you use the tools at hand - there has never been a time when you have so many resources to test what works (and what doesn't)!

Great post, and I think it's important to remember that A/B testing does require tubebuddy legend, but because people are here on the forums you can EARN free tubebuddy upgrades by being active here :)

Reactions: Bukky

xPedro98

Great post, and I think it's important to remember that A/B testing does require tubebuddy legend, but because people are here on the forums you can EARN free tubebuddy upgrades by being active here :)
@Andrew I didn't know that ... how can I get this upgrade for free?

• Your title;
  • Your thumbnail;
  • Maybe your keywords.

Thumbnail A:

View attachment 5821

Thumbnail B:

View attachment 5820

View attachment 5819

what a crazy thing, I swore that thumbnail A was better!

How long did you test for?

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for this post I have to admit I never focused on thumbnails until I started using TubeBuddy and that is when I saw a significant jump in viewers. This reminds me that I really need to go back and check some of my older content!

Welcome to Gaming

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
My latest upload has highlighted just how important the thumbnail is, I used a generic versus screen and whacked the title belt over the top (boxing game video) and it got absolutely no views in the first few hours, I normally pick up between 5 and 10. I've since changed the thumbnail to something with a bit more going on, hopefully it improves things.

• Love
Reactions: blackbeltsecrets

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I generally don't go with metadata A/B testing but maybe I should. I generally stick to visuals.

Were these results from thumb A/B testing alone? Or did you change matadata in your video as well? :)

OP
OP
blackbeltsecrets

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
I generally don't go with metadata A/B testing but maybe I should. I generally stick to visuals.

Were these results from thumb A/B testing alone? Or did you change matadata in your video as well? :)
Just the thumbnail, donΓÇÖt want to risk taking the video out of the search results in case it doesnΓÇÖt get back in anywhere decent!

Outtadaworld

Subscriber Goal

• Your title;
  • Your thumbnail;
  • Maybe your keywords.

Thumbnail A:

View attachment 5821

Thumbnail B:

View attachment 5820

View attachment 5819

Noice

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
This is one of the things I need to get better at and probably should do more research on! Granted it is on my list of things to do this summer when I get around to it :p

Reactions: blackbeltsecrets