• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear I received a new camera as a gift to support my channel

Lindasholakenneth

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am a new youtuber and I just received a brand new camera as a gift, it is a Canon EOS M50. I have been trying to figure out how to get the right setting for youtube videos, i was able to get it to some extent but it is still not what I am looking for, the videos I made with my phone looks better. So i need help on how to get the right settings or what lens to buy to give me the perfect video.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I am a new youtuber and I just received a brand new camera as a gift, it is a Canon EOS M50. I have been trying to figure out how to get the right setting for youtube videos, i was able to get it to some extent but it is still not what I am looking for, the videos I made with my phone looks better. So i need help on how to get the right settings or what lens to buy to give me the perfect video.

I think it might be lighting. What lighting are you using? Lighting for a DSLR or Mirrorless camera in your case is SO important. What is your lighting setup? Phones tend to compensate and make poor lighting look better, but cameras don't do that.

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
I think it might be lighting. What lighting are you using? Lighting for a DSLR or Mirrorless camera in your case is SO important. What is your lighting setup? Phones tend to compensate and make poor lighting look better, but cameras don't do that.

Lighting will always improve video! However, any "pro-ish" camera whether DSLR or Mirrorless can do *everything* your iphone or android phone can do!! The phones are just making a lot of decisions on your behalf to make it easier to use without knowing a lot about how cameras work.

In photography/videography you have a 3-way triangle of trade offs between shutter speed (or framerate), ISO setting and aperture (iris). When you adjust one of those 3 things it will impact the other two things. So its a series of tradeoffs. Phones and point and shoot cameras make these tradeoffs for you with some algorithms guessing what you'd like to accomplish.

1.) For video you really want to target a specific framerate, usually 24fps or 30fps, maybe 60fps for action sports or something. So this decision is made for you. You pick a shutter speed that is about double your framerate. So for 30fps, I set my shutter speed to 1/60th of a second.

2.) Now you have a trade off between the ISO setting and the aperture. Lenses have an iris just like your eyeball. It opens and closes to let in more or less light to your sensor. But also opening and closing the iris in the lens modifies how the lens looks on video (depth of field). So an aperture of 1.4 or 1.8 will get that nice shallow depth of field where your background is more out of focus than the subject of the video. A higher aperture like 5.6 or more will make the whole frame in focus. (Tip: Your phone usually has 1 or 2 fixed apertures that are not adjustable).

Cameras that have modes like "portrait mode" and "landscape mode" are just presets for favour a lower or higher aperture using simpler to understand language. Many YouTubers strive to have a lower aperture number in a studio setting, in order to blur out the background a bit and bring focus to the subject of the video.

3.) So now you have set your camera to 1/60th of a second shutter speed, perhaps the lowest aperture your lens is capable of (more expensive lenses will go lower than the lens that comes with the camera) and you are left with ISO as your last setting.

ISO is like "sensitivity" of the camera sensor. A higher ISO will make the image brighter, and a lower ISO will make it darker. So if you have poor lighting, you will need a higher ISO setting. The better your lighting the lower an ISO you can get away with.

So why not just always use a higher ISO?? It's a tradeoff!! The higher the ISO the more "noise" you get in the image and the less "crispy" it will look. The lower the ISO the better quality the image will be. TL;DR; So better lights = lower ISO = better final image quality.

However, if you are on a budget and don't have the equipment right now, just bump up the ISO to 2000 - 4000 range and you should get "cell phone quality" output. But don't judge the camera on that output, because it will look even nicer when you get the lighting required to shoot at an ISO of 100-250 range.

To test out what "nice lighting" will look like, try doing a video on a bright but overcast day with natural light. Those bright overcast days make a giant soft light in the sky, you can drop your ISO down to the low few hundred range while still maintaining a 1/60th shutter speed and see what that video output looks like.

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Many YouTubers strive to have a lower aperture number in a studio setting, in order to blur out the background a bit and bring focus to the subject of the video.

I am certainly no camera expert but @BensTechLab comments are a great overview for you @Lindasholakenneth .

For my 1to1 YT videos I do go for a blurred background. To achieve this bokeh effect, I use a similar camera (sony A6400) with a super fast Sigma lens that goes down to a 1.4 aperture setting. I then just set it to manual aperture with everything else on auto and make sure I dial down the aperture to 1.4.

I am sure I could do more and happy to receive any suggestions :)

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
...a super fast Sigma lens that goes down to a 1.4 aperture setting. I then just set it to manual aperture with everything else on auto and make sure I dial down the aperture to 1.4...

The one thing I point out to people who are first using fast lenses at low aperture Is that it creates a very narrow focal plane. The camera you are using has one of the best/fastest continual-focus capabilities in its price range and can handle movement well. But I see a lot of new people that don't understand this and move forward and backwards and in and out of focus because of the narrow focal plane and no real continual autofocus.

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
The one thing I point out to people who are first using fast lenses at low aperture Is that it creates a very narrow focal plane. The camera you are using has one of the best/fastest continual-focus capabilities in its price range and can handle movement well. But I see a lot of new people that don't understand this and move forward and backwards and in and out of focus because of the narrow focal plane and no real continual autofocus.
Well you learn something new every day - thanks. As you say the Sony handles the autofocus really well, but good to point this out for others.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Well you learn something new every day - thanks. As you say the Sony handles the autofocus really well, but good to point this out for others.
[/QUOT

You are using a really great camera. I own one as well (and I suspect the same lens). I use it more for my streams since I tend to move a lot :)