• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Instagram Is Instagram Worth It?

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I used Instagram for a good while to promote my videos, but my issue with this platform is that they don't allow you to post videos or images on their website. Now that the application I used to upload from my PC is gone, I haven't been posting on Instagram.

I find the process of having to upload my video to the cloud and then download it onto my mobile JUST to get it on Instagram to be unnecessary. I understand that Instagram is more focused on mobile, but I'm still going to complain about it lol XD

There are other sites that provide this service, but they're all paid services and I don't see the need to invest in those services just for Instagram. If there wasn't TweetDeck around, I would've considered it since it would also count for Twitter.

So my question is: Is Instagram worth it?

Perfect Relaxation

I used Instagram for a good while to promote my videos, but my issue with this platform is that they don't allow you to post videos or images on their website. Now that the application I used to upload from my PC is gone, I haven't been posting on Instagram.

I find the process of having to upload my video to the cloud and then download it onto my mobile JUST to get it on Instagram to be unnecessary. I understand that Instagram is more focused on mobile, but I'm still going to complain about it lol XD

There are other sites that provide this service, but they're all paid services and I don't see the need to invest in those services just for Instagram. If there wasn't TweetDeck around, I would've considered it since it would also count for Twitter.

Try Reddit, tubebuddy, vidiq,etc...

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal

I hardly use it. Though I do have my YouTube linked on my instagram. For some reason last month I got several thousands of views from instagram. IΓÇÖm not really sure how as I havenΓÇÖt posted in months. Still trying to figure it out. Sometimes I find hashtags that arenΓÇÖt as popular helps gain exposure on my profile there and may get my channel out there too. But I really donΓÇÖt use it as a platform to promote youtube or anything like that.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I post on IG, my account is my channel name. I do not really push my channel, but just share travel pics. My channel ID is in my profile. I get good interactions on some of my posts, not sure how many YT visits, though. IG also publishes my posts to Twitter and FB; I get almost no interactions on either of them. But I avoid twitter like the plague that it is... :)

JessBookgirl75@gmail

Extremely Well-Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I hardly use it. Though I do have my YouTube linked on my instagram. For some reason last month I got several thousands of views from instagram. IΓÇÖm not really sure how as I havenΓÇÖt posted in months. Still trying to figure it out. Sometimes I find hashtags that arenΓÇÖt as popular helps gain exposure on my profile there and may get my channel out there too. But I really donΓÇÖt use it as a platform to promote youtube or anything like that.
ASMRSadie,
How do you have your Instagram linked to Youtube? I wish there was a direct link from Youtube to Instagram. That's part of the reason I can't stand Instagram.
Jessica

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm not really sure how as I havenΓÇÖt posted in months. Still trying to figure it out.

@ASMRSadie You have two good messages in your post.

#1 - you never know what the future brings, trends and popularity of various platforms/mediums come and go. And so IMHO, if you can maintain a presence even if not a big one, you'll be ready to capitalize on it later if the trends go in that direction. So IMHO I'd say, yes, do instagram if you can, even if you aren't getting a ton of traction in the first year. You never know, someone with a lot of friends may reshare or comment on your posts if they are interested.

#2 - Learn how to use analytics everywhere!! Did you know you can install your own google analytics ID into your youtube channel? If you get a lucky break somewhere with a surprise "thousands of views" I'd suggest you want to figure out what gave you that boost so you can reuse whatever technique got those results!

Go to your YouTube Channel Advanced Settings (https://www.youtube.com/advanced_settings?nv=1) and at the bottom you can enter a "Google Analytics property tracking ID" that you got from your google analytics account - you need to have setup a google analytics account first. This is worth researching if you don't know what I'm talking about. There will be lots of videos on YouTube about this. ;) And its also free. So even if you don't use analytics all the time, you should have it setup and tested so when you do hit a lucky break you can go back and learn what happened.

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Try Reddit, tubebuddy, vidiq,etc...
Other than Reddit, I didn't realize the other two are social media :thinking:

It could be that your Instagram post is starting to gain traction. Did you use any hashtags? I've had that experience before where my older posts on Instagram started resurfacing.

I post on IG, my account is my channel name. I do not really push my channel, but just share travel pics. My channel ID is in my profile. I get good interactions on some of my posts, not sure how many YT visits, though. IG also publishes my posts to Twitter and FB; I get almost no interactions on either of them. But I avoid twitter like the plague that it is... :)
I actually used to do that too haha. Post on Instagram and post to FB and Twitter through it. However, I didn't like the way it looked on Twitter and I gave up on FB a short while after (had a few... weird people who kept DM'ing me). I get more interactions on Twitter than I do Instagram, but that also depends on the hashtags I'm using.

ASMRSadie,
How do you have your Instagram linked to Youtube? I wish there was a direct link from Youtube to Instagram. That's part of the reason I can't stand Instagram.
Jessica
I feel ya on that. You can't click links in the description :( I've made it where I just redirect people to my link tree that has several videos linked (before I stopped posting on Insta).

So IMHO I'd say, yes, do instagram if you can, even if you aren't getting a ton of traction in the first year. You never know, someone with a lot of friends may reshare or comment on your posts if they are interested.
That is very true and it works the same way with YouTube.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

I haven't uploaded to Instagram in a while because the motivation just wasn't there, and it was a pain in the butt to indeed, transfer files to the cloud, then to my phone.

That said, if you can be bothered, if you download an android emulator on windows (probably one on mac as well) you can use use the android app on your computer through an emulator. A bit of a pain to set up initially, but once you have it set up, you won't need to upload to the cloud, to upload to instagram.

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I haven't uploaded to Instagram in a while because the motivation just wasn't there, and it was a pain in the butt to indeed, transfer files to the cloud, then to my phone.

That said, if you can be bothered, if you download an android emulator on windows (probably one on mac as well) you can use use the android app on your computer through an emulator. A bit of a pain to set up initially, but once you have it set up, you won't need to upload to the cloud, to upload to instagram.
Yes, Beanie. This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to post to Insta as much anymore.

I've tried to do that with BlueStack, but that app just does not like me. Do you know of any other?

The Rockstar Cat

TubeBuddy Pro
therockstarcat.com
Subscriber Goal
I post daily photos to Instagram to build up my followers, then upload my weekly YouTube video there, too. My Instagram account actually has lots more followers (3,245) than my YouTube account. I usually say "Click link in profile to see full video" or "Click link in profile to see even more music videos!" A handful of followers each week come to my YouTube channel from Instagram.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Zita

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
zitachristie.com
Subscriber Goal
Since I restarted my youtube channel I only do editing on my iPad with LumaFusion, so for me itΓÇÖs easier to post on instastories or igtv, I just edit one video for YouTube and chunk it in parts in vertical frame aspect for instastories and igtv. You get more reach when you post a video on insta/igtv.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws