• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered Noob Question : Keyword Explorer - Can't find anything better than "Fair"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampocker

Hi, hoping someone can help me.
I have a paid subscription if that matters.

I make a lot of music videos, and in Keyword Explorer I have yet to find any keywords better than "fair", mostly "poor".

I tried this with many of my past videos (just to get used to the software before making something new), and had the same results over and over.

An example:

I recorded a cover version of the song "Jive Talkin'" by the Bee Gees.

I tried multiple basic searches and then clicked on everything in "Related Searches" but still came up with nothing but poor or fair results. (Screenshots attached)

Most of my songs are originals, not covers, and have a variety of relevant keywords, but no matter what I tried I had the same problem.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Thank you.
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.39.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.39.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.39.49 AM.png

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

I make a lot of music videos, and in Keyword Explorer I have yet to find any keywords better than "fair", mostly "poor".

I tried this with many of my past videos (just to get used to the software before making something new), and had the same results over and over.

An example:

I tried multiple basic searches and then clicked on everything in "Related Searches" but still came up with nothing but poor or fair results. (Screenshots attached)

Most of my songs are originals, not covers, and have a variety of relevant keywords, but no matter what I tried I had the same problem.

Thank you. View attachment 5763View attachment 5764View attachment 5765

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbA5H-SCXic

This explains the score.

I always recommend doing keyword research first. Here is what I see look at the "You vs. Top Ranked Videos" The barrier to entry is what the target shows. (Explained more in the video) here I can see the first terms barrier to entry is 606K views MINIMUM to rank, and you average 82 views. THe next graph shows 1.96K views to rank, with about 40.6K monthly searches not bad. The "Bee gees jive talking cover" has a poor search volume meaning not too many people are searching for it, but the barrier to entry is lower.

The reason the score is fair, is because the authority required to rank in these terms is high. As you create more content you'll do better than fair, but for what I see here the score makes sense.

I hope that helps :)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

An example:

Thank you. View attachment 5763View attachment 5764View attachment 5765

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbA5H-SCXic

This explains the score.

I always recommend doing keyword research first. Here is what I see look at the "You vs. Top Ranked Videos" The barrier to entry is what the target shows. (Explained more in the video) here I can see the first terms barrier to entry is 606K views MINIMUM to rank, and you average 82 views. THe next graph shows 1.96K views to rank, with about 40.6K monthly searches not bad. The "Bee gees jive talking cover" has a poor search volume meaning not too many people are searching for it, but the barrier to entry is lower.

The reason the score is fair, is because the authority required to rank in these terms is high. As you create more content you'll do better than fair, but for what I see here the score makes sense.

I hope that helps :)

OP
OP
sampocker

sampocker

Hi Andrew,

I understand what you're saying, but my question is how to find a relevant keyword that would have better ranking opportunity? Or because of my low view count is everything going to be fair or lower?

Thanks!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Andrew,

I understand what you're saying, but my question is how to find a relevant keyword that would have better ranking opportunity? Or because of my low view count is everything going to be fair or lower?

Thanks!

I mean that's based on what your channel is about. Since you're still gaining authority it's going to be lower, but what you SHOULD focus on is search volume. Because YT gives new content a 7 day boost to perform, and if it does well it keeps ranking. Look at search volume, and the barrier to entry.

Relevant keywords is based on what YOU want to create as a creator. We give you scores based on what you tell us. We can't really predict what content YOU want to make, we can just let you know your chances :)

OP
OP
sampocker

sampocker

I see, so I'm ideally looking for something with a medium amount of search volume as I get started? Or something with higher search volume?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I see, so I'm ideally looking for something with a medium amount of search volume as I get started? Or something with higher search volume?

It's like a traffic light. look at the colors green means go! Yellow there are two types of drivers, if you run a yellow, and know you might get pulled over go yellow, if you're cautious and slow down then that's how you'll handle a yellow score. Red means stop, and in terms of keywords consider another keyword. However, YOU are as a creator is how you go after. I have built authority, so I personally am more willing to go for yellows NOW, but when I started I played it safe :)

Ameen

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
pros answered but lemm'e see
3 ways
add / remove prepositions
' ' '' '' prefix/suffix
play with spaces
should give you results :)

Reactions: sampocker

Daniele Pastry Chef

Hey, I'm quite new as well... and had the same issue...I can see that your keywords are searched a lot, but there is lots of os competence too...Same with me, as I do recipes... for example, if I search for "brownie recipe" I'll get the same result as you, so I started playing around and start searching for, how to make brownie, amazing brownie, the best brownie... etc... Like this, the search volume continues to be high, but there is much less competence that has that keyword... and the av. to rank, it's much lover, so it's easier to rank... if that makes any sense... Not sure how it will work that for music though... but you can try playing with the words around until you find something they search for a lot... so you have more chance to be seen :) Good luck!

Reactions: sampocker

brucechamoff

Hi Andrew, thank you for the video on the score, but I am confused about one thing in your video. I paid for TubeBuddy, so I get to see my unweighted score. Around the 2:32 mark, you said "this is poor. because the videos tend to be well optimized". Is that the opposite of the Poor to Excellent scale? I don't understand. If the optimization score is Poor, are you saying that my barrier to entry is low because those other videos in my keyword are NOT optimized well? Or does the Poor mean that those videos are optimized well and it will be difficult for me to optimize? Please advise.

Bruce

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
pros answered but lemm'e see
3 ways
add / remove prepositions
' ' '' '' prefix/suffix
play with spaces
should give you results :)

Since it's based on how people search this would have very little to no change :/

Hey, I'm quite new as well... and had the same issue...I can see that your keywords are searched a lot, but there is lots of os competence too...Same with me, as I do recipes... for example, if I search for "brownie recipe" I'll get the same result as you, so I started playing around and start searching for, how to make brownie, amazing brownie, the best brownie... etc... Like this, the search volume continues to be high, but there is much less competence that has that keyword... and the av. to rank, it's much lover, so it's easier to rank... if that makes any sense... Not sure how it will work that for music though... but you can try playing with the words around until you find something they search for a lot... so you have more chance to be seen :) Good luck!

This is what we recommend :)

Hi Andrew, thank you for the video on the score, but I am confused about one thing in your video. I paid for TubeBuddy, so I get to see my unweighted score. Around the 2:32 mark, you said "this is poor. because the videos tend to be well optimized". Is that the opposite of the Poor to Excellent scale? I don't understand. If the optimization score is Poor, are you saying that my barrier to entry is low because those other videos in my keyword are NOT optimized well? Or does the Poor mean that those videos are optimized well and it will be difficult for me to optimize? Please advise.

Bruce

You want the optimization to be EXCELLENT so you have an EXCELLENT chance to come in with a well optimized video and rank. The barrier to entry as I say in the video is based on YOUR previous videos performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.