• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Channel Tags vs Video Tags

ChrisDinUK

Hello everyone. I have a simple question (which may, or may not, have a simple answer). I see/read lots of emphasis on *video* tags (use of TubeBuddy to research them, etc).

What about *channel* tags?

I'm at the start of a journey of taking my YouTube presence a lot more seriously. I have a small number of channel tags. It's not clear to me:
  1. How important channel tags are (overall, or relative to video tags)?
  2. How one goes about researching them? (Can TubeBuddy help here too?)
Appreciate your comments. Thanks, Chris

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
My limited understanding is that you should shoot for roughly 7-10 channel tags (100-150 characters) which really define your channel... preferably specifically within a niche within your niche if possible.

When you search for something on YouTube, it will also recommend channels which match or come close to matching that tag every so often dispersed throughout video results. Beyond that, I must admit I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to channel tags myself.

Reactions: ChrisDinUK

Ameen

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Your vids define your channel ..and if those vids r ur niche they can be ur tags @Andrew Kan explained this in one of his and @Rob Balsabas 's amazing live series called web dev 101

Just realised it pings sorry for the problem caused

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Your vids define your channel ..and if those vids r ur niche they can be ur tags @Andrew Kan explained this in one of his and @Rob Balsabas 's amazing live series called web dev 101

Just realised it pings sorry for the problem caused

No worries on the ping, more worried on the double posting.

Hello everyone. I have a simple question (which may, or may not, have a simple answer). I see/read lots of emphasis on *video* tags (use of TubeBuddy to research them, etc).

What about *channel* tags?

I'm at the start of a journey of taking my YouTube presence a lot more seriously. I have a small number of channel tags. It's not clear to me:
  1. How important channel tags are (overall, or relative to video tags)?
  2. How one goes about researching them? (Can TubeBuddy help here too?)
Appreciate your comments. Thanks, Chris

Channel tags are important for the 5% that look for them! I always say use all YouTube gives us for success.

They're similar to video tags in function and can help your channel surface for things people are searching for.

Channel tags are BASED around the topic you create for your channels. Popular video titles, and the topic that video covers should be channel tags. I think we should make a video on channel tags, and I'll add this to the list :)