• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What do people think about hiding your subscriber count?

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If I'm searching for content I will usually have a look at the first ten results, see which thumbnail catches my eye and which title fits what I'm looking for the best, and then click on that video. I do assume a person's content will be better if they have more subscribers because all those people must like something about what the creator is making. But I've seen great videos from people with 50 subs and rubbish videos from people with 100k subs.
If I was watching a video and saw they had hidden their numbers I would wonder what the creator was hiding, and I think it would put me off subbing because in the back of my mind I feel like there is something shady going on.

Volfra

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I have read that its good to hide until you have 1k subs. I have 56 at the moment, so I am hiding it.

ProjectGirlBoss

TubeBuddy Legend
I hid my subscriber count for an experiment video once. Before I had uploaded the video where I explained why I had hidden my subscriber count I did gain more subscribers than what I was normally gaining on a daily basis...even though a lot of people find it shady. I personally don't think anything of it. I just figure its a small channel that would rather people focus on the content instead of the number count.

Dresspatternmaking

I was curious to get a reply to the question: "Why would someone hide their subcriber count?" because I noticed someone with a total of more than 1.5 million views (100+ videos, some of them with 7,000 views, some with 30,000 views...) and a lot of engagement (lots of comments from people who are obviously subscribers) hides both their subscriber count and the likes/dislikes. While I can understand hiding likes/dislikes, I was puzzled about the subscriber count.

In all the threads on this topic, it is about channels with limited views/viewers are hiding their subscriber count. Which, as per my example, isn't the case.

Does anyone have any guesses why someone with a large number of engagement would hide their subscriber count? This is partly curiosity, but the other part is trying to understand the logic of the decision.

(Or should I have created a new question? The title is "What do people think about hiding subscriber count?, so I thought it was relevant....)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Evolving Butterfly

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I never got into the lust for subscribers... I barely check my sub count, and I do not care what anyone else's count is. (I would like my channel to grow, but I am not losing sleep over it.) If the count is displayed under the vid, I might see it - I doubt I would ever go looking for someone's count. (the publish date I DO want to see.) The "it's shady" idea does not compute with me at all.

As for why someone might hide their count? I would think they just want their vids to be taken at face value, and are not concerned with any perceived status from a high or low count.

Evolving Butterfly

I never got into the lust for subscribers... I barely check my sub count, and I do not care what anyone else's count is. (I would like my channel to grow, but I am not losing sleep over it.) If the count is displayed under the vid, I might see it - I doubt I would ever go looking for someone's count. (the publish date I DO want to see.) The "it's shady" idea does not compute with me at all.

As for why someone might hide their count? I would think they just want their vids to be taken at face value, and are not concerned with any perceived status from a high or low count.

Agreed, I hide my count because I am a spiritual channel that want people to focus on the content and not vanity metrics that most social media like to consciously put in our heads. If me not showing how many subscriber I have, is suspicious... then it just means that person is not the person meant for my channel.

Evolving Butterfly

I was curious to get a reply to the question: "Why would someone hide their subcriber count?" because I noticed someone with a total of more than 1.5 million views (100+ videos, some of them with 7,000 views, some with 30,000 views...) and a lot of engagement (lots of comments from people who are obviously subscribers) hides both their subscriber count and the likes/dislikes. While I can understand hiding likes/dislikes, I was puzzled about the subscriber count.

In all the threads on this topic, it is about channels with limited views/viewers are hiding their subscriber count. Which, as per my example, isn't the case.

Does anyone have any guesses why someone with a large number of engagement would hide their subscriber count? This is partly curiosity, but the other part is trying to understand the logic of the decision.

(Or should I have created a new question? The title is "What do people think about hiding subscriber count?, so I thought it was relevant....)

I follow a few channels who do this in my community, including myself. It's because many do not want people to only be consumed with "popularity" and their personal judgements and perception of the content... based off vanity metrics. I hide mine because of the type of people I WANT to attract. I don't care for people who only care about numbers and how many people are following. I deleted social media (except YouTube) for similar reasons.

We are living in a world that many people are craving PURE and AUTHENTIC relationships and communication. If you only like me because of my numbers, then you never really liked me to begin with :)

Then again, I'm in the spiritual community.... and I focus on healing from the inside out.

BeannyYT

Subscriber Goal
I feel that some channels (mainly the ones that spam your comments) have something to hide but the majority I feel hide subscriber counts due to confidence? I know some people who didn't want people to make fun of them for having a lower subscriber count so they hide them.

All personal preference really, might take the pressure off some people and it won't impact growth

demoimoet

I just hide my subscriber before. The subscribers growth si from another video (cartoon), now i change my mind with what i like today