• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Members Only Chat strategy.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So I've seen quite a few channels do this, which actually seems like a great strategy for channels with memberships who want to raise their memberships.
Instead of having members only videos, where people can only watch the video if they're a member... they instead start the stream as normal, they have a half hour to hour long free for all, then they change the stream to members only chat, where you can still WATCH the stream, but to get involved, you need to become a member.

I quite like this as a strategy, it's not forced paywall, so there's no significant disadvantage for those who can't afford becoming a member (and I'm pretty sure there would be other members only streams that aren't directly mentioned that these members only chats would be a "sales funnel" for. But overall, these streams that turn into members only chat see a massive spike in member sign ups. People want to get involved in chat later, have the incentive there to sign up for memberships to get involved. BUT if they can't afford memberships, they're not being totally locked out, and with the hour pre-members chat, it gives people the chance to decide if they want to choose to become a member, or chose to just watch later.

Overall I think it's a fantastic strategy that I haven't seen anyone specifically talk about in videos in our space, but I've definitely noticed the strategy on a few large channels that do really well in the regard.

What do you think? Does it seem kinda shady? or do you think it's a great idea that you'd implement yourself? I'm still yet to get access to memberships, so I'm just thinking now how I want to tackle this as a strategy for the future :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man I really like that idea. I wouldn't do it every stream... but if you are open and up-front about it before you do it I feel that is a very fair option. Eliminates the need to do multiple streams.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I know a lot of streamers who activate sub-only chat because of spam/spoilers from non-sub chat and it's easier to moderate.

• Love

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
So I've seen quite a few channels do this, which actually seems like a great strategy for channels with memberships who want to raise their memberships.
Instead of having members only videos, where people can only watch the video if they're a member... they instead start the stream as normal, they have a half hour to hour long free for all, then they change the stream to members only chat, where you can still WATCH the stream, but to get involved, you need to become a member.

I quite like this as a strategy, it's not forced paywall, so there's no significant disadvantage for those who can't afford becoming a member (and I'm pretty sure there would be other members only streams that aren't directly mentioned that these members only chats would be a "sales funnel" for. But overall, these streams that turn into members only chat see a massive spike in member sign ups. People want to get involved in chat later, have the incentive there to sign up for memberships to get involved. BUT if they can't afford memberships, they're not being totally locked out, and with the hour pre-members chat, it gives people the chance to decide if they want to choose to become a member, or chose to just watch later.

Overall I think it's a fantastic strategy that I haven't seen anyone specifically talk about in videos in our space, but I've definitely noticed the strategy on a few large channels that do really well in the regard.

What do you think? Does it seem kinda shady? or do you think it's a great idea that you'd implement yourself? I'm still yet to get access to memberships, so I'm just thinking now how I want to tackle this as a strategy for the future :)

That's genius, and I think makes a lot of sense. I wish there was a way to do that for the TB streams, but maybe some day :)

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
That might be a good idea. I like keeping all my content free, I really do not want a paywall. I have no merch to sell. What can I do to incentivize memberships? The members only chat could be good (not for the whole video, and not for every video).

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I know a lot of streamers who activate sub-only chat because of spam/spoilers from non-sub chat and it's easier to moderate.
That's a very big reason why I want to do it. That said, sometimes people will use troll donations, donating a couple of bucks in the hope the stream will read out an offensive superchat/donation but I do like the idea of it sorting out the trolls from the serious.

• Love