• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Subscriber count doesn't matter.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So there's another thread about subscriber milestones that made me think.

Yes... subscriber milestones are great and I love celebrating the acheivements and milestones of others (this title was clickbaited to get you to read the rest of this thought)

However... my stats say about 20% of my audience is subscribers, or something along those lines. Have you checked your analytics of how many of your views come from subscribers vs non subscribers?

At the end of the day, if everyone who watched your videos, were also subscribers, your subscriber milestones would be significantly larger than what they are. So realistically, the views milestone is far more significant of an acheivement to me. And also why the desperation to hit 1000 subscribers (other than for monetisation) while a nice goal to have, is essentially a vanity self congradulation milestone.

Don't get me wrong, it's lovely to get, it's lovely to aim for, but that subscriber number doesn't mean much. What means more, is how many of those subscribers are actually watching your content. not all of your subscribers will watch every one of your videos. If every one of my subscribers watched every one of my videos, I'd have 26,000 views minimum on each of my videos. I certainly don't.

So at the end of the day. It's nice to have the number, but it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If you take anything away from this.... take the point that 1k subs is nothing to get desperate over. You'll get that in your own time, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there. What's important, is how many people watch your videos. Strive to make fantastic videos that people will watch, the rest will come naturally.

BootySweat4491

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
This is good to be reminded of. I'm a bit too numbers focused as a beginner, I'm afraid. I don't have but 15 videos up, but a couple of them are very successful (relatively) and it caused me to get a little bit addicted to the analytics. Lol

I just gotta keep uploading good videos with consistency.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
But you DO want to convert these people to subs. It's fairly important in many ways:
1. Subs are a part of many algorithms in YouTube, including how you'll be able to monetize your channel.
- Famebit, for example, just delisted any channel under 25k.
- People without 1k cannot livestream.

2. It shows you are doing something right that brings conversion.
- It's not unlike the sales person that cannot sell the one product - even it if sells itself

3. It helps you understand your own audience
- Sponsors like direction

4. You don't have 26k views for each video, but you do have enough views to be ranked for other superfans to watch.

Remember: It's always a 1,000-100-1 rule. 1k watch, 100 do something, and 1 will be a major supporter.

Don't let it control your life. Let it enhance.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Subs matter, but not as much as people think. Some make videos for their subs, but only about .4% of their subs on average watch their content. :/

Dermot1

handyhandsservices.business.site
Subscriber Goal
I think itΓÇÖs more about your vid subjects rather than subscribers

ItΓÇÖs great when you or anyone gets new subscribers , itΓÇÖs more of a challenge to keep our channels fresh and to keep subscribers interested in the content thatΓÇÖs where the work is ......

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is a great thread (and a perfect example of engaging title versus clickbait!) and something that we all need to be reminded of from time to time. Obviously subscriber counts are the preliminary metric, but are also the most frivolous.

ACEHq

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So there's another thread about subscriber milestones that made me think.

Yes... subscriber milestones are great and I love celebrating the acheivements and milestones of others (this title was clickbaited to get you to read the rest of this thought)

However... my stats say about 20% of my audience is subscribers, or something along those lines. Have you checked your analytics of how many of your views come from subscribers vs non subscribers?

At the end of the day, if everyone who watched your videos, were also subscribers, your subscriber milestones would be significantly larger than what they are. So realistically, the views milestone is far more significant of an acheivement to me. And also why the desperation to hit 1000 subscribers (other than for monetisation) while a nice goal to have, is essentially a vanity self congradulation milestone.

Don't get me wrong, it's lovely to get, it's lovely to aim for, but that subscriber number doesn't mean much. What means more, is how many of those subscribers are actually watching your content. not all of your subscribers will watch every one of your videos. If every one of my subscribers watched every one of my videos, I'd have 26,000 views minimum on each of my videos. I certainly don't.

So at the end of the day. It's nice to have the number, but it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If you take anything away from this.... take the point that 1k subs is nothing to get desperate over. You'll get that in your own time, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there. What's important, is how many people watch your videos. Strive to make fantastic videos that people will watch, the rest will come naturally.
Amazing and encouraging write up for upcoming Youtubers like me.
You just hit a chord for me and I'm grateful to have read this post.
Cheers

Thei Manaloto

Subscriber Goal
It could work both ways. :thinking: You could have a lot of subs, but a low view counts and that can make some people question why.
I'm one of those persons who wonder why, i see some YouTubers with 1000+ subscribers but their view counts does'nt even reach 1/4 of their number of subscribers.

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
It could work both ways. :thinking: You could have a lot of subs, but a low view counts and that can make some people question why.

Yeah that's a double sided coin.

I'm one of those persons who wonder why, i see some YouTubers with 1000+ subscribers but their view counts does'nt even reach 1/4 of their number of subscribers.

USUALLY because people subscribe to a creator for one piece of content, and YT says on average 10% of subs watch a majority of content from a creator. WHICH if you understand that makes sense.

Mr Nicky Wilde

I agree that subscribers doesn't matter. I just have 10 subscribers and i'm happy like that. I prefer to have few subscribers and authentic rather than too much subscribers in one week where most are scammers