• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Whisper good things in my ear (A gaming video review)

Bounce Gaming

TubeBuddy User
User name: Bounce Gaming
Title of thread: Whisper good things in my ear (A gaming video review)
Self review: Hello beautiful people of TubeBuddy. The below video is my first attempt of mashing together a few days worth a content and transitioning between levels. It was posted this morning and looks like it's in the gutter sewers of Youtube, so I'm hoping I can get feedback on anything that catches your eye and needs improvement. Whether that be gameplay, commentary, the transitions, thumbnails, etc. The below video is the latest of a lets play series that I'm currently doing as a learning tool on recording, editing, and uploading to Youtube. Thanks!
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1SKZ95pdp0&t=885s

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/28361/#post-82453

skrach

Subscriber Goal
First, none of this meant to be mean or to discourage you. I'm just going to point out some of the harsh realities of trying to reach your target audience.

The first issue is this is a let's play video. This is a high competition space with a lot of established streamers.

Second, this is Doom. A high competition game with a lot of established streamers.

I can't see your tags right now because I'm currently on my phone, but I'm also going to bet they are high competition.

I will tell you I did a search for your video and after about 20 minutes of scrolling, I never did see it. So I did a narrower search, doom slayer gates bounce gaming, and it didn't even show your channel until about page 3 - your video itself, still did not show.

Right now, the issue is not your video, commentary, or channel. It's the space you are trying to break into. And by all means, if your goal is to have fun and share with others, keep doing it!

But if your goal is to grow quickly, you may want to rethink your strategy.

At this point, you're late to the gaming channel party and can't just slap up a let's play video and expect it to become an overnight success. Breaking into this space will take some REAL work and strategy.

I recently read an article about upisnotjump. Prior to being able to do commentary and let's plays, they focused on things like recreating scenes from Rick and Morty in fallout 4 and movie trailers from video games to get a foothold because they realized the space was too crowded to be successful doing let's plays and commentary from the beginning and that they needed a unique hook to get started. Only after building up a subscriber base from their unique videos did they transition to commentary and let's plays. This may not work now because others copied the model to make their channels successful.

Others have tried strategies like promoting their youtube videos through Google ads and social media paid advertisements to get on the front page and break into crowded spaces. This works, but it's also expensive and may turn off some potential subscribers. It's also not recommended to promote long videos in anything other than search results.

The point is, you're going to need to think outside the box and can't just think that if you post it, they will come. Sure, you might get lucky and have a video go viral to boost your channel... but with as crowded as the let's play and game commentary space is... you might have better odds winning the lottery.

Now, if you enjoy what you're doing and don't mind sharing with others without benchmarking yourself against the top streamers... keep doing it, and have fun doing it. But if you do, in fact, think you are in the "gutter sewers of YouTube" as you put it, then you may need to rethink the space you are trying to break into and figure out what unique perspective you can bring to differentiate yourself and get started. Copying everyone else will not work for a gaming channel at this point.

I wish you the best of luck and do hope that you keep creating content. As stated at the beginning, none of this was meant to hurt you... just let you know what to expect on your current trajectory and maybe give you some inspiration to come up with some ideas and strategies that could help you out.

skrach

Subscriber Goal
Agree, don't be dissuaded if you are doing something that you love doing. Just don't be afraid to approach things from a different angle. I'm sure there are video game ideas that haven't been explored yet. I'm just not qualified to give a specific example of what those might be.

The best advice I can think of is to start with a game that doesn't have excessive coverage or one that allows modding to the point that you can find some way to tell a unique story with it.

Another decent idea is to explore accessibility options on current games and give reviews about that. Sooooo many channels focus on basic gameplay, but what if you could showcase how a game allows people that are visually, audibly or otherwise impaired to enjoy the same experiences?

The Last of Us 2 comes to mind here. There is an overabundance of traditional coverage, yet the game is lauded for its accessibility features and I have not yet seen any traditional media platforms cover this accessibility in depth, beyond mentioning the existence of the features. This could very well be an opportunity to review these features in addition to the game itself in order to build an audience?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
First, none of this meant to be mean or to discourage you. I'm just going to point out some of the harsh realities of trying to reach your target audience.

The first issue is this is a let's play video. This is a high competition space with a lot of established streamers.

Second, this is Doom. A high competition game with a lot of established streamers.

I can't see your tags right now because I'm currently on my phone, but I'm also going to bet they are high competition.

I will tell you I did a search for your video and after about 20 minutes of scrolling, I never did see it. So I did a narrower search, doom slayer gates bounce gaming, and it didn't even show your channel until about page 3 - your video itself, still did not show.

Right now, the issue is not your video, commentary, or channel. It's the space you are trying to break into. And by all means, if your goal is to have fun and share with others, keep doing it!

At this point, you're late to the gaming channel party and can't just slap up a let's play video and expect it to become an overnight success. Breaking into this space will take some REAL work and strategy.

I recently read an article about upisnotjump. Prior to being able to do commentary and let's plays, they focused on things like recreating scenes from Rick and Morty in fallout 4 and movie trailers from video games to get a foothold because they realized the space was too crowded to be successful doing let's plays and commentary from the beginning and that they needed a unique hook to get started. Only after building up a subscriber base from their unique videos did they transition to commentary and let's plays. This may not work now because others copied the model to make their channels successful.

Others have tried strategies like promoting their youtube videos through Google ads and social media paid advertisements to get on the front page and break into crowded spaces. This works, but it's also expensive and may turn off some potential subscribers. It's also not recommended to promote long videos in anything other than search results.

The point is, you're going to need to think outside the box and can't just think that if you post it, they will come. Sure, you might get lucky and have a video go viral to boost your channel... but with as crowded as the let's play and game commentary space is... you might have better odds winning the lottery.

Now, if you enjoy what you're doing and don't mind sharing with others without benchmarking yourself against the top streamers... keep doing it, and have fun doing it. But if you do, in fact, think you are in the "gutter sewers of YouTube" as you put it, then you may need to rethink the space you are trying to break into and figure out what unique perspective you can bring to differentiate yourself and get started. Copying everyone else will not work for a gaming channel at this point.

I wish you the best of luck and do hope that you keep creating content. As stated at the beginning, none of this was meant to hurt you... just let you know what to expect on your current trajectory and maybe give you some inspiration to come up with some ideas and strategies that could help you out.

There is really not much left to say. @skrach pretty much hit every important point here. I'm a YT gamer myself and I am on the same boat. That's why, after nearly a tear of not creating content, I am recreating myself with a new channel and a different type of content that is still gaming oriented but trying to target a space that I may have a bit more chances of standing out. Keep creating content, learn from every upload and see what is working and what isn't. Try new ideas, different editing styles, etc to see what gets attention and what doesn't. Patience is key. You're a new channel with only a couple of months worth of content. You need to give YouTube as much content as you can and give it time to notice you and potentially start pushing your content to viewers looking for your type of content.

Well done @skrach, a well-written response.

baso killer

good post, I became inspired by your post
thank you so much