• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question I hit 102 subscribers today, no sooner had I gained them than they dropped back down to 99.

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi Guys

So as of this morning I had 95 subscribers. After some hardcore promoting to friends I got it up to 102. However, about an hour after reaching the 102 mark I just logged in and it has dropped down to 99. I know for a fact that non of them have unsubscribed, so I'm just wondering what's going on. I understand that any of the other 95 people could have unsubscribed but it just seems weird that it happened almost as soon as I'd crossed over the 100 mark, any ideas.

Side question. Will I now lose my personalised URL?

Thanks

Alex

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
That is how the game is played. The sub and unsub lots but it does get better. One thing I have noticed though is sometimes on the app the sub might be 102 but on the laptop it is 99. Some other time is the other way round. Check back later and see if it is the same, if it is, just keep doing what you are doing. We all have passed through the unsub fever.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Guys

So as of this morning I had 95 subscribers. After some hardcore promoting to friends I got it up to 102. However, about an hour after reaching the 102 mark I just logged in and it has dropped down to 99. I know for a fact that non of them have unsubscribed, so I'm just wondering what's going on. I understand that any of the other 95 people could have unsubscribed but it just seems weird that it happened almost as soon as I'd crossed over the 100 mark, any ideas.

Thanks

Alex

If you claimed your URL it should still work, this is sadly part of the YT game.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Immortal Explorer

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
That is how the game is played. The sub and unsub lots but it does get better. One thing I have noticed though is sometimes on the app the sub might be 102 but on the laptop it is 99. Some other time is the other way round. Check back later and see if it is the same, if it is, just keep doing what you are doing. We all have passed through the unsub fever.

Hi, thanks for the response. The thing is I know the people who boosted it from 95 to 102, and they didn't unsubscribe. Anyway there are worse things happening in the world, lol.

Reactions: marlaarceno

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You should see how many subscribers Nick Nimmin has lost over his journey to well over 500 thousand subscribers. It's the natural part of YouTube. Either it's inactive accounts cleaned up, bot accounts that just naturally pop up from time to time, or your content no long appeals to someone because your content veered away from what they signed up for.

About the only stats with unsubscribes you should be focusing on, is with your videos individually. A video that GAINS subscribers, you should make more of, and I've made videos that LOST me subscribers, I now know to avoid those styles of subscribers. It doesn't bother me that I've lost them, it's the natural part of life to gain and lose people in your life. The part you CAN kind of control, is using the stats of what videos lost you the most subscribers, analyse that data, and craft future videos with that "feedback" in mind to improve your content.

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
What you really hope for with subscriber counts is the 2+ steps forward one 1 backwards. There will always be people who unsubscribe or accounts being deleted that can lower your subscriber count but as long as the direction is upward you are good!

Edit: Also you will notice this more around the key markers 100, 500, 1000 because you are paying more attention.

Reactions: marlaarceno

marlaarceno

Subscriber Goal
Hi,

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I hit 102, then just after a few minutes to an hour I was back to 98 Subs.

I know for a fact those who helped me get to 102 are close friends. But, like everyone says, it is what it is.

all the best.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi Guys

Thanks

Alex
If it makes you feel better, I went from 80 to 85 in a handful of hours, but then lost 3 of them not long after, as everyone says, this is part of YouTube, and thereΓÇÖs nothing we an do except keep putting out more content, especially those that pulled the viewers and turned them to subscribers.

When I saw my loss of those subscribers, I just shrugged shoulders, went ΓÇ£pffftΓÇ¥, and just kept going on.

I have a feeling it could be YouTube itself going through and doing itΓÇÖs purge of inactive subs and bot accounts, so donΓÇÖt stress dude, subs come and go, but if more are coming than going, youΓÇÖre definitely on the right track.

As Kelsey on his channel 74Gear says, ΓÇ£keep the blue side upΓÇ¥ :blush:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
To add to this, you'll usually see lots of people subbing and unsubbing near a milestone so they can be "THE" milestone number. People love claiming to be "the 100th subscriber" or "I'm your 1000th subscriber" so some people will unsub, then resub to bring the number down as another form of "first". this was more prominent when people were close to hitting the big milestones and showing the graph on livestream. Was a big thing with MKBHD when he was about to hit the million I think? or or one of those milestones, hundreds, if not thousands of people were unsubbing, then re-subbing to "troll" his subcount. It is indeed part of the game though.

• Sad
Reactions: Damon

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've had this happen all week in that I'd hit 441, then go back down to 440, then back up to 441. I've basically lost probably 5+ and gained 5+ to net 1 new sub. It's aggravating but it is what it is. Keep making good content getting views, etc, and the subs will come.

Reactions: PinayLifeUSA

LiquidOcelot

TubeBuddy User
Losing subscribers is normal because of closed accounts issues. You can check this stat under youtube advanced analytics under the "Subscription Source" tab that will tell you exactly from which source the subscriber left either its watch page/subscription feed/closed accounts.

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
To echo everyone else, losing subs is normal because of either old accounts or people cleaning up their lists. i kept gaining and losing 1 sub the entirety of last week so my net kept staying at 0. It finally broke and I've gained 5 subs that have stayed. Keep creating and the subs will come.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm seeing this reported a lot in the past few days in some of the Facebook groups I belong to. I get one week a month when my subs keep going down by one or two a day before they start gaining again, last month was the worst yet and I lost nearly 20 subs over the course of a week. I haven't lost any (that I know off) this week, but in general, I have gained fewer subscribers than usual in September. So I don't think it's just you, a lot of people have found this month a bit meh.

Claudiu Narita

TubeBuddy User
www.claudiunarita.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Guys

Thanks

Alex
you can keep your URL