• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Should I use a tag that have search volume but low score or high search volume but low score?

JellyTheDong

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
hI all expert out there, i need some help here. i have a question, when i survey keyword for my next project, as new channel, my view count is low.
i realized that my overall score is poor on some keyword due to less view count and also too high traffic and big channel out there that make my score relatively low, liek less than 10point
should i still go for it or I should do it anoother way
which is another keyword which give me higher score (around 50points), but the search volume show low (i dont knw the red bar low means how low, any comment here?)
but competitor lesser as well. so i have higher chance to be featured. So I have been struggling for few days trying to figure out this. can anyone comment and show some lights here?

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
What's the keyword? Can you show the score?

Also, remember that for new videos, it does get an extra boost with the [New] tag. That's why you'll sometimes see new videos rank on the first page of search and maybe even above a more popular channel. It depends on whether people click on your video and watch for it to continue to rank high after the [New] tag is gone.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Also, remember that for new videos, it does get an extra boost with the [New] tag. That's why you'll sometimes see new videos rank on the first page of search and maybe even above a more popular channel. It depends on whether people click on your video and watch for it to continue to rank high after the [New] tag is gone.

This is correct :)

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
JellyTheDong

JellyTheDong

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal

thanks for the comment, few consideration i am working on, but i thought i wnat to clear my doubt on this question even for future keywrod research
i am researching for:
1. How to shoot smooth product Broll (45/100point, search volume low) vs
2. motorized slider (8/100), high search volume.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Target the firs one. You'll be more like to rank. People who are typing in long tail phrases are usually more serious than someone typing just general terms. Plus, you're much more likely to rank for the first one than the second.

Reactions: Ikerot

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
thanks for the comment, few consideration i am working on, but i thought i wnat to clear my doubt on this question even for future keywrod research
i am researching for:
1. How to shoot smooth product Broll (45/100point, search volume low) vs
2. motorized slider (8/100), high search volume.

Is this a weighted or unweighted score? What is the barrier to entry?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
How I see it, high competition tags give you more chances of being found, but also more competition means more chances you WON'T be clicked because there's higher chances of better videos showing up in search results. Having less competition means you have a much better chance at showing up and being clicked.

I do like Andrew's analagy he said about traffic lights. red you should avoid, green is good to go, yellow there's a risk. Some risks yeild unexpectedly great results, some risks are dissapointing. High competition keywords are risky unless your content is great.

Moto Mengy

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This is a question I wondered about as well.

For my last couple videos I tagged strictly using high weighted tags with above average search volume. Some of the tags seemed dumb to me but I used them anyway. Turns out people don't search in Youtube like I think they would, looks like a LOT of people type odd word combos in the search bars.

Long story short, the high weight tags seem to be working MUCH better than the low weighted. I think it's better to have a great chance of fewer people finding your video than a very low chance of a lot of people finding your video. Particularly for a new small channel like mine without many subs or views yet. As my channel grows and regularly gets viewed more, THEN I'll be able to use a wider range of better tags. For now I'm using what gives me the best chances of being seen so the I'm going with the high weight score tags, no matter how odd or weird the tag may seem to me.

I plan to go back and redo tags on my older vids with a heavy focus on high weight & search to see if I can drive more traffic to them as well.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
For obvious reasons the Overall score is one that I typically aim for... But...

If I have a keyword phrase that has a high search volume with heavy competition I will do a search for that term so I can see what the thumbnails on top of that search look like. If I think I can beat the top thumbnails I will take a crack at aiming for that keyword phrase.

It is rare that I can actually pull this off, and occasionally have to go back and revamp all tags/titles to better optimize them after I fail at targeting a big-time keyword but when it hits... it hits. So while the smart thing to do is to mind the keyword rank results as presented by TubeBuddy you should be mindful of not only keyword ranks but the thumbnails in that search!