• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Honest Feedback on my Channel Presentation?

Kales Brown

User name: Kales Brown
Title of thread: Honest Feedback on my Channel Presentation?
Self review: I've been uploading every week for the past 5 months, and 2 times a week for the past 3. I have the views, but not the subs to show for it, so I think maybe my channel presentation is off. 57% of my views are unsubbed viewers. I know I may need to add my schedule to my banner and make it reflect what my channel is about, but I'm apprehensive about that. As for thumbnails, I've been trying to update them but I can't tell if they look cheesy or not. Can anyone give me some feedback on my channel presentation and maybe even some of my videos too?
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQzRW2QOZiVeZkmHyiQmbA?view_as=subscriber
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/28180/post-81566

Drivenprogressive

Subscriber Goal
hello i checked out your channel and with the thumbnails i think you need to put less words in them most ppl watch on mobile for about the last month ive been consuming a ton of content on thumbnails because my CTR was terrible and what ive found that works is no more than 4 words and turn the blur way down and the contrast way up makes your images much sharper my CTR doubled when i started doing that as far as the content i think its cool your very open about your life but sticking to a certain niche might be the best way to grow maybe start another channel for the vlog type stuff but this is just my very non expert opinion CANVA is great for making thumbnails btw good luck

thepiedcrafter

Hi Kales, You have a wonderful channel, a sweet intro and a beautiful outro. I have gone through a couple of your videos, and really liked them! You have an amazing screen presence too! What's your dog's name? He seems supportive :)

As for areas of improvements, I agree with @Drivenprogressive as well, your thumbnails seem to be a bit busy and not conveying the message. I think this is a same problem for my channel too, the thumbnails that act as a first point of CTA should be impressive.

Also you holding the mic while speaking is a little bit distracting, may be you can invest in a better mic, which will let you talk without any disruption.

People's Bookkeeper

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Star
Hi Kales :)

Congrats on getting your channel started, a lot of people never get that far so good job!

Since you want honest feedback and most people who do are serious about wanting to improve their channels I'll happily chime in. None of this is meant to be hurtful in any way shape or form. I just want to help you :)

When I first came to your channel, I actually thought it was going to be a makeup channel, the banner style/colours along with the eye that looks like it's done in a very makeup style sorta way made me think that. I would change your banner to include something descriptive besides just your name. You could also add in which day or days you release videos so people can quickly see what your channel is about and when to expect new vids.

Next, your landing video you should make it a nice 1 minute long video that welcomes people to your page, states what you're about and perhaps list a few things people can expect from your channel. Keep it short and punchy, and don't forget to invite people to like your videos and subscribe to your channel. It honestly makes a big difference.

Next, early on it's ok to experiment with different topics/themes as you're figuring out what you want to do, but you should really hone in on your chosen niche and keep your videos as close to that as possible. If you're an art channel, then stick with anything and everything related to art. It confuses your audience when you change to off topic vids that don't cover art. People will get annoyed if you do it too much and leave you hanging! You have quite a variety of videos right now and that may be hurting you gaining more subs than if you stick with your theme.

Next, you need to keep your videos interesting and related to your main theme. I watched several of your videos and you have a tendency sometimes to wander off topic and it might be frustrating to some people who just want to get to the point (people can be impatient haha).

Next on the list, your comments. You don't have tons of them, but there's quite a few you've never answered. You should respond to EVERY single person who takes time to write a comment. I'd also recommend that you reply with other questions and genuinely engage people. You'd be surprised how much seeing a few comments with responses will create a favourable impression for people and it will make others want to engage too since they know you are responsive and friendly. Don't just say "thanks" to every comment. Reply with thoughtful responses and questions too, it will make a difference!

Next, your thumbnails. They need a serious overhaul. It's ok to use yourself in the thumbnails, but you need to pick a theme that fits your channel/style and then make fun and vibrant thumbnails that pop out. You can also use a lot of free editing software to add and deepen colours/change contrast to make them really pop. It will also make a big difference to your video views when people see a great looking thumbnail.

Your intro/outro - Keep them short and punchy, mention watching more of your videos and try to link topics from other videos into your current one and drop a link in the video as well.

Descriptions - Need a major overhaul as well. Make sure to work your keywords/phrases into your sentences, it can make a big difference as well. Use unicode (free if you google it) to make your sections stand out in your description. It looks great and it's easy to do.

There's probably a bunch more I could suggest as well but I don't want to overwhelm you. I hope you aren't hurt by any suggestions, you have a lot of good things going on your channel too!

Keep working hard on improving and you'll start to grow in no time :)

Blessings!

skrach

Subscriber Goal
A lot of people have already given you some good advice, and from watching your hacked video, it looks like you already understand that at some point you may need to separate your themes into different channels.

One thing I noticed though is that you rely on YouTube's automated captions. @Drivenprogressive is correct that most people watch from mobile. To expand on this, a decent portion of mobile users also watch with the sound turned off and rely on captions to convey the message of the video.

While automated captions are great, they are less than perfect. It might be beneficial to review and correct your captions after posting a video to YouTube. This is found on left hand side of the creator studio and labeled subtitles. In addition to helping those that watch with sound off, it also helps people that rely on captions due to a hearing impairment. Plus the autocaptions create a starting point and you really just need to clean up the gibberish that they create, so it doesn't take a lot of extra time to polish those captions up and I can guarantee you your work probably won't go to waste.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

jameslimusic

User name: Kales Brown
Title of thread: Honest Feedback on my Channel Presentation?
Self review: I've been uploading every week for the past 5 months, and 2 times a week for the past 3. I have the views, but not the subs to show for it, so I think maybe my channel presentation is off. 57% of my views are unsubbed viewers. I know I may need to add my schedule to my banner and make it reflect what my channel is about, but I'm apprehensive about that. As for thumbnails, I've been trying to update them but I can't tell if they look cheesy or not. Can anyone give me some feedback on my channel presentation and maybe even some of my videos too?
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQzRW2QOZiVeZkmHyiQmbA?view_as=subscriber
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/28180/post-81566
Hi I think your channel is generally going really well but you could work on making your thumbnails have less words on them! Also I wouldn't be too discouraged about the subscriber count as this is very common when you are just starting

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Kales Brown you have a very solid start here, and have nearly identical numbers to what my channel was doing at that stage of the game!
I would suggest that because you are an art channel you should draw your viewers in with brighter colors in your thumbs and channel art. As an artist the expectation is going to be that your channel art is superior to other creators.

Also, 57% of your viewers are not subscribers and that is a fairly decent number. The vast majority of viewing on YouTube comes from people not subscribed to the channels they are watching. Think about it this way... you have nearly 2,500 views and only 100 subs. How many views would you have if only your subs were watching? You want to increase the unsubbed traffic by optimizing your videos for specific keyword phrases and by mastering absolutely undeniable thumbnails. Do that and you will see a difference in your channels performance!

Reactions: jameslimusic

Cheeky pie family

Hello Kales,
I enjoyed watching your Mountain Landscapre painting video. As far as feedback is concerned, I would probably have a short introduction to your channel and what you will be doing in the video. Also, maybe label on the video or write in the decription box on what painting products you are using and exact color you used for the painting. At the end, also link any social media accounts if you desire to. Hopefully this informaton helps and best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

The New Gardener

Subscriber Goal
I am fairly new to Youtubing myself, so when I decided to take the plunge I studied loads of advice from the likes of Nick Nimmin / Sunny Lenarduzzi / Justin Brown - Primal Video / Think Media.

I think you could benefit from these as I have. as previoiusly mentioned by someone above, your 'Thumbnails' could be sharpened with less words and add a mix of colour to catch the eye as people scroll along. From what I have picked up, you need to get people to see the content in the first place and your Thumbnail is a key hook to achieve this.

I feel you could benefit from having a short punchy intro to inform what the video is about prior to the start of the actual content.

Your content is clearly solid and you know your subject, plus your paintings are good to watch (music can be a bit loud at times) but if you provided some voice over as your painting, explaining either the technic or something about the painting - i feel it would be more engaging.

I dont understand why you have a second channel (Cloudy Kales 2.0) which seems very simular to the original?

well thats my view anyway. Good luck and stay safe

Barbara

Hi Kales!
As I am very new to youtube I can not speak from the technical, thumbnaily thing point of view, but I can tell you my honest experience as a viewer that just stumbled upon your channel: your voice is warm and pleasant, you don't stumble when you talk, I was hooked by that from the start. On the vlog side, as that's the part i am attracted to, I would try to be more energetic and funny. I feel that you are too static and jump from one subject to another. Oh and I really love your dog, try to make him part of your every vlog.
I would honestly become a subscriber in the future if the vlog part were a little more energetic/entertaining, but i think that you deffinitely have what it takes to be successful and hook people with your youtube channel.
That is my experience on your channel. Keep up uploading, growing and developing !