• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Are channel membership requirements now random?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Since their incenptioon, channel membership requirements have been 30k subscribers (or 1k subscribers if you're a gaming channel) but now I'm noticing channels with 20k and under getting access to channel memberships. I've had talks with a few people and it seems channels that livestream regularly have had access to channel memberships granted, so I guess now I'm wondering, is there any official update to the channel membership requirements anywhere online?
I've also read

Your channel does not have a significant number of ineligible videos
Videos set as made for kids, or videos with music claims are considered ineligible

Would having 2 videos with music claims out of 170+ videos be considered "significant"? (im wondering if I should just delete those videos from 2015)

But it does seem that NOW, the invite to having channel memberships is pretty much secret, as channels with less than 20k subs can now get memberships (and I'm at 26k)
Not the end of the world, but I wish the slow rollout was a little more transparent so that it's not a guessing game. (The community tab was also a slow rollout)

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I got memberships recently and only have 3,500 subs, and less than a million total views (nothing viral). I have 3 or 4 vids, out of 500, with music claims, no strikes. I rarely do livestreams.

I looked at the requirements and I am not even close... but then again I have only one member so far ha ha. I figured it was part of an experimental expansion by YT?

Sometimes YT does some testing, and it looks like you have about the same chance as winning the lottery. I would rather have won the lottery (but I cannot win as I do not play). It was neat getting in early, but with so few subs it is not going well. I wonder if it will be an impediment later. With more subs, the announcement would/could (?) have a bigger impact. My announcement went to the 500 people that watched that vid.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Since their incenptioon, channel membership requirements have been 30k subscribers (or 1k subscribers if you're a gaming channel) but now I'm noticing channels with 20k and under getting access to channel memberships. I've had talks with a few people and it seems channels that livestream regularly have had access to channel memberships granted, so I guess now I'm wondering, is there any official update to the channel membership requirements anywhere online?
I've also read

Your channel does not have a significant number of ineligible videos
Videos set as made for kids, or videos with music claims are considered ineligible

Would having 2 videos with music claims out of 170+ videos be considered "significant"? (im wondering if I should just delete those videos from 2015)

But it does seem that NOW, the invite to having channel memberships is pretty much secret, as channels with less than 20k subs can now get memberships (and I'm at 26k)
Not the end of the world, but I wish the slow rollout was a little more transparent so that it's not a guessing game. (The community tab was also a slow rollout)

They said some will be invited, but classic YouTube didn't explain who gets the invite haha

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
They said some will be invited, but classic YouTube didn't explain who gets the invite haha
Do you think my old videos with copyright claimes might impact that at all? I have 2 videos with me singing a song while I was livestreaming in 2015 :p a "music video" I drew that I unlisted but never deleted (wasn't sure weather unlisting the video "fixes" the issue)
And my Jurassic World trailer analysis video (not surprised by that one to be honest, but it's transformative enough to be not a straight up re-upload)

It's interesting to see how "legitimate" claims may or may not impact things. The old music claims didn't come in until a year or two after I published the videos. They don't perform very well at all so considering just deleting them, but for historial reasons I kinda wanna keep them public as a historial progress of how my channel developed. might just mute them.