• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question cc on to force subtitles?

LokiTV

TubeBuddy User
www.playingtricks.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
You can burn the subtitles into the video itself during the edit. This ensures they will be there every time. I'm not familiar enough with the automatic CC options to help any further though! But adding the subtitles to the video is a way to display them every time.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
force subtitles on as in giving your viewer no option to turn them off? that can't be done as the audience always has the choice to turn them off.
If you mean having subtitles automatically added to your videos without manually adding them, you can do that, just know that sometimes YouTube mislables cc and you can have unexpected and unwanted profanities in your subtitles when you say words that sound similar to other words and auto subtitles mishears the words you say.

And like LokiTV said, you can burn your subtitles into the actual video footage, but that would take quite some timeand I have no idea how to do that. I do know that Bob Ross has had that done to his videos professionally.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yeah you can go to Creator Studio and go to the 'Subtitles' option on the left toolbar. Captions are automatically in your native language, but to take off @Beanie Draws comment you should REALLY take a moment to edit those captions. YT get's things wrong from time to time and it is worth your time to fix their mistakes.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah you can go to Creator Studio and go to the 'Subtitles' option on the left toolbar. Captions are automatically in your native language, but to take off @Beanie Draws comment you should REALLY take a moment to edit those captions. YT get's things wrong from time to time and it is worth your time to fix their mistakes.
Not to mention sometimes those auto captions will accidently put in bad expletives (one of my videos it accidently put in "nazi" when I didn't say it) and some videos WILL get suppressed or age restricted wrongly because there's an accidental "nazi" or other word in the subtitles despite what's actually said.

Vyyyper discovered this recently. So if you have subtitles on, and you see your video is actually age restricted, it could be because of an errrornous subtitle auto cc.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Beanie Draws I have seen that SEVERAL times. Actually wanted to do a funny video about the weird things YouTube puts in my captions... it absolutely can not understand my wife at all.

I've never gotten confirmation on this but considering that YT recognizes the things being said in your video I believe it is pertinent to have your select keywords mentioned in the first 30 seconds of the video. No proof that this makes a difference... but YT just confirmed that dialogue in the first 30 (and to a lesser extent the rest of the video) will affect monetization status. Makes sense that it can also affect their opinion of your relevance on the topic.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

LokiTV

TubeBuddy User
www.playingtricks.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
Put the time in initially if you want to maintain professionalism. I've manually written EVERY subtitle for my videos and burned them into the final export. Depending on your software (I use FCPX) it should be relatively easy to do. You will no doubt find a channel out there showing you exactly how! There are services that you can pay to do it for you (REV.com) but if you're just starting out, like me, do the work! Hope this helps?

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB