• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Ranking or Not Ranking

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So I notice when I do video research before I create tags and a title I notice I rank on the first page with other YouTubers that have thousands and millions of views and my video show up BUT when I looked up the same search term at best buy on a computer and ipad my video doesn't show up??? Have I been doing something wrong this entire time cause it seems like when I am logged in YouTube and open another tab my videos will show up for a search term but like i said before if I go on another computer or something and try the same thing no video shows up :worried:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
That's the differance between incognito and normal logged in. I noticed this a few years ago and is why TubeBuddy emphesises the importance of using incognito mode in their settings.

YouTube will use your search history etc and overall channel to boost you in your appearance when logged in. Why? I'm not sure, maybe it's to boost our egos to show bias towards us when logged in. But that's why whenever someone shows their rankings, if they're logged in, those rankings don't count for anything. It's only when you're logged out and YouTube is no longer biased to your channel is when you see the REAL ranking results. And I believe this workds for other channels too. where @Andrew shows up in search results when I'm logged in, will be differant to when I'm logged out because YouTube knows I'm biased towards Andrew because of how many of his videos I've already watched.

Sometimes you'll see Roberto Blake doing experiments on twitter asking people where he's ranking on other people's devices on incognito mode, and logged in to see if there's any inconsitencies in ranking. I suspect even when logged out, the rankings and api are changing all the time as people watch, so the data is always changing.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yeah when you are logged in YouTube is catering your search results to YOUR viewing history (be mindful YouTube is doing that for your audience as well).

If you want to see an unbiased search you need to go incognito mode.

OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
That's the differance between incognito and normal logged in. I noticed this a few years ago and is why TubeBuddy emphesises the importance of using incognito mode in their settings.

YouTube will use your search history etc and overall channel to boost you in your appearance when logged in. Why? I'm not sure, maybe it's to boost our egos to show bias towards us when logged in. But that's why whenever someone shows their rankings, if they're logged in, those rankings don't count for anything. It's only when you're logged out and YouTube is no longer biased to your channel is when you see the REAL ranking results. And I believe this workds for other channels too. where @Andrew shows up in search results when I'm logged in, will be differant to when I'm logged out because YouTube knows I'm biased towards Andrew because of how many of his videos I've already watched.

Sometimes you'll see Roberto Blake doing experiments on twitter asking people where he's ranking on other people's devices on incognito mode, and logged in to see if there's any inconsitencies in ranking. I suspect even when logged out, the rankings and api are changing all the time as people watch, so the data is always changing.
I have not tried incognito mode....would YouTube track our ip address and still boost our egos the same way though lol

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
Haha, I fell for that too a couple of years ago. Couldn't understand why I was literally no2 or 3 in Search in big search terms, but only getting 10 views a day! :joy::sob: When I realised I was actually ranking about 101, that's when the penny dropped about Incognito! Bloody Algorithms, Cookies and Viewing History!

OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Haha, I fell for that too a couple of years ago. Couldn't understand why I was literally no2 or 3 in Search in big search terms, but only getting 10 views a day! :joy::sob: When I realised I was actually ranking about 101, that's when the penny dropped about Incognito! Bloody Algorithms, Cookies and Viewing History!
How did you fix it... I just paused everything on my YouTube search and recommended and apparently I was already in incognito mode on tubebuddy.. Should I just delete my entire google search history lol

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
Nah, I don't know what others recommend, but you need to be logged in on Tubebuddy anyway to use it, so that makes no odds really whether you're incognito or not. I don't really use Incognito if I'm honest. The Tubebuddy Extension feature is generally pretty accurate to see where your Video is...
Capture3.JPG

Reactions: Jeff Goober
OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Nah, I don't know what others recommend, but you need to be logged in on Tubebuddy anyway to use it, so that makes no odds really whether you're incognito or not. I don't really use Incognito if I'm honest. The Tubebuddy Extension feature is generally pretty accurate to see where your Video is...
View attachment 5597
I have to upgrade lol I used the 7 day free trial awhile back but I'm thinking about upgrading

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
How did you fix it... I just paused everything on my YouTube search and recommended and apparently I was already in incognito mode on tubebuddy.. Should I just delete my entire google search history lol

With incognito mode we clear as much as we can/ need to to show you unbiased results. You can set incognito mode for free. Doesn't require paying.