• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Opinion Patreon--- How does patreon work.

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
Ooooo...So I've just in the last 2 weeks launched mine. I had it for a while...signed up back in January, but then used Ko-Fi instead...i was getting regular Coffees bought for me, but now i switched to Patreon as i want to make a bigger deal of it. It's trial an error at the moment. I am adding more to it this week. That's my project. But here's my current tiers below!

Capture 1.JPG

I guess its just about Giving Value back. There is one YouTube Bartender who quite clearly just has tiers asking for people to "Pay his bills" and "Pay his Health Insurance". He's got a few Patreons, but not many in relation to the amount of Subs he's got. Purely because i think that is the wrong way to go. Patreons should be rewarded for giving you money. So you need to offer a value proposition in return. I've done a lot of stalking to come up with Ideas.

Already after 2 weeks, i'm about to update the top 2 tiers to add more stuff, but also to take the Top tier in a different direction. I'm also going to add a 4th Tier at a bigger monthly fee, that will help me Coach people. Kind of like an Online Course. I have got a course on Teachable, but in my head, i think this might be a better way to go. I want to give Top Patreons a "Back Catalogue" of Masterclasses they can learn from.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
This is my experience with Patreon from a viewers perspective. I have seen "small" 10k subscribers channels do really well making 1-3k a month and I have seen 100k+ subscribers barely get anyone to sign up to their Patreon.

The channels that seems to be doing best with Patreon are channels that focus a lot on community building. Where viewers are a active part of the community interacting regular with not only the YouTuber but also with other viewers. This is build throue years you become a part of your viewers every day life and in a smaller portion they becomes a part of your very day life since you are communicating with a lot of them every now and then. The community is close-nit, a lot of them know each other by name (YouTube name) and is a part of each others life. Example:
The YouTuber knows that user XYZs (that always comment on her videos and is a part of the YouTubers social media) cat is having an operation and asks the viewers how the operation went.

When a community building channel reach around 10-15k subscribers (I have seen smaller 3-6k sub channels do decently with Patreon but it's very rare) they start a Patreon with the community they build through the years as the foundation for that Patreon. The viewers that are a part of that YouTubers community feels like family and they want to support and help the YouTuber.

When it comes to larger 100k+ channels itΓÇÖs often the once that offer something extra each month that does decently on Patreon. But not just something extra, something people values and wants. Usually in different tiers like 5 a month to get X, 10 a month to get Y.

Reactions: Blessing
OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Ooooo...So I've just in the last 2 weeks launched mine. I had it for a while...signed up back in January, but then used Ko-Fi instead...i was getting regular Coffees bought for me, but now i switched to Patreon as i want to make a bigger deal of it. It's trial an error at the moment. I am adding more to it this week. That's my project. But here's my current tiers below!

View attachment 5539

I guess its just about Giving Value back. There is one YouTube Bartender who quite clearly just has tiers asking for people to "Pay his bills" and "Pay his Health Insurance". He's got a few Patreons, but not many in relation to the amount of Subs he's got. Purely because i think that is the wrong way to go. Patreons should be rewarded for giving you money. So you need to offer a value proposition in return. I've done a lot of stalking to come up with Ideas.

Already after 2 weeks, i'm about to update the top 2 tiers to add more stuff, but also to take the Top tier in a different direction. I'm also going to add a 4th Tier at a bigger monthly fee, that will help me Coach people. Kind of like an Online Course. I have got a course on Teachable, but in my head, i think this might be a better way to go. I want to give Top Patreons a "Back Catalogue" of Masterclasses they can learn from.

Wow!!! your tier are lovely. You have a value preposition as you have thinks to offer them which is tied to your niche. I just discuss trending news so cant think of what to offer them to be my patreons.

This is my experience with Patreon from a viewers perspective. I have seen "small" 10k subscribers channels do really well making 1-3k a month and I have seen 100k+ subscribers barely get anyone to sign up to their Patreon.

The channels that seems to be doing best with Patreon are channels that focus a lot on community building. Where viewers are a active part of the community interacting regular with not only the YouTuber but also with other viewers. This is build throue years you become a part of your viewers every day life and in a smaller portion they becomes a part of your very day life since you are communicating with a lot of them every now and then. The community is close-nit, a lot of them know each other by name (YouTube name) and is a part of each others life. Example:
The YouTuber knows that user XYZs (that always comment on her videos and is a part of the YouTubers social media) cat is having an operation and asks the viewers how the operation went.

When a community building channel reach around 10-15k subscribers (I have seen smaller 3-6k sub channels do decently with Patreon but it's very rare) they start a Patreon with the community they build through the years as the foundation for that Patreon. The viewers that are a part of that YouTubers community feels like family and they want to support and help the YouTuber.

When it comes to larger 100k+ channels itΓÇÖs often the once that offer something extra each month that does decently on Patreon. But not just something extra, something people values and wants. Usually in different tiers like 5 a month to get X, 10 a month to get Y.

I understand the idea of community. It makes more sense to have build one before starting it. My challenge is figuring what I would offer them as I only give a perpective to trending news which relates to people. I don't have a product or a value preposition that comes to mind that I came offer them for supporting me.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm still trying to work it out as I have a few ideas, but overall it's a way of having a membership that gives your fans extra perks that can potentially earn you more revenue.

At it's base level you can use it for say "for 1 dollar a month you get access to my exclusive discord server" some folks have perks like "for 5 dollars a month, you get to see all my behind the scenes, and get to watch my videos before they're public" some folks use their patreon as a member choice that decides future videos. Some add the perk of appearing in the credits at the end of a video.

I'm personally considering how to use it in a way to share exclusive art, share exclusive videos, and also sending physical perks like art prints. A lot of artists will use it to send physical prints and other products out. I've seen some have $100 experiences, and some have gone as crazy as $10,000 hang out perks where if you pay that much, you get flown out, or the creator will fly out to visit you.

At it's core though, it's a great way of providing a lot more value that youtube can't provide (one on one community, exclusive merchandise etc)

• Love
Reactions: Blessing

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm still trying to work it out as I have a few ideas...
I'm personally considering how to use it in a way to share exclusive art, share exclusive videos, and also sending physical perks like art prints.

@Beanie Draws Have you checked out Ko-Fi.com ??? Just an idea, but they have the whole "Buy me a Coffee thing". BUT. The thing that could work for you is the Commissions. People can pay you a one off for something, without you/them having the whole Monthly commitment. From what you briefly mentioned, i think that could be right up your street. :eyes: Deffo worth a look.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
@Beanie Draws Have you checked out Ko-Fi.com ??? Just an idea, but they have the whole "Buy me a Coffee thing". BUT. The thing that could work for you is the Commissions. People can pay you a one off for something, without you/them having the whole Monthly commitment. From what you briefly mentioned, i think that could be right up your street. :eyes: Deffo worth a look.
That's a really cool idea :) I've never heard of them before so I'll definitely look further into them :) thanks for the heads up :)

• Love
Reactions: Steve the Barman

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
@Steve the Barman As you've used both, could you give a brief 2-3 setnance comparison between Ko-Fi and Patreon for us newbies who know nothing about either of them? (And maybe why you found Patreon better then Ko-Fi for your use case?)

Perfect Relaxation

If you have a large fanbase who love your content, your Subscribers/fans, could help you financially to keep doing what you're doing, cause they love what you do!. That's what patreon is all about, I think.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
One thing to consider about Patreon, they take about 4% of the contribution in fees - YT Memberships take 30%. I kind of like Patreon.

I have tried it, but never had much luck. I try to interact with my viewers but many of them seem like hermits... tough to get them to do anything but watch (but I am glad they watch).

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
@BensTechLab ....
Patreon - See it as a Membership Platform that your “Patrons” pay a recurring Monthly Subscription of varying amounts depend on what YOU set out. (I have 3x Tiers. £3pm / £5pm / £15pm)

Ko-Fi - Stands for “Coffee” and is essentially an Online Tip Jar asking you fans to buy you a Coffee for say £3. It’s a one off payment. But I believe if you upgrade you can have a Membership Monthly recurring Payment set up. But without Tiers like Patreon.
Ko-Fi also allows “One Off Commissions”. So take an Artist for example. Someone could pay you, say £150, to make a one off piece of Art for that Person.