• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Which do you prefer? black or white background (A/B testing)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm currently testing this out in an A/B test. The original idea was to have the dinosaurs stand out on their own. That said, it felt a bit "safe" and with more people browsing in dark mode, I thought the white background might be a little to "picture" where as I thought maybe having it on a black background with a yellow frame will bring out some drama, and maybe that drama bringing more clicks. So I'll see how the a/b test goes, but wondering what ya'll think?

constently experimenting and I'm thinking I might text applying this black background theme to more of my thumbs to see if dramatic drama gets more attention than high contrast focus.
Screenshot (4538).png

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm currently testing this out in an A/B test. The original idea was to have the dinosaurs stand out on their own. That said, it felt a bit "safe" and with more people browsing in dark mode, I thought the white background might be a little to "picture" where as I thought maybe having it on a black background with a yellow frame will bring out some drama, and maybe that drama bringing more clicks. So I'll see how the a/b test goes, but wondering what ya'll think?

constently experimenting and I'm thinking I might text applying this black background theme to more of my thumbs to see if dramatic drama gets more attention than high contrast focus.
View attachment 5445

Depends if I'm on night mode or not I guess. one will stand out depending on my choice of nightmode or not haha

Bounce Gaming

TubeBuddy User
Both look great! But if you had a gun to my head and told me to pick one I'd pick your black background. For some odd reason the colours of the dinosaurs pop out more than in the white background.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Depends if I'm on night mode or not I guess. one will stand out depending on my choice of nightmode or not haha
I'm actually curious if there will be any analytics behind who uses dark mode. We get analytics on the devices used, so I'm sure weather someone uses dark mode or not will have some interesting stats too :)

AJAX

I think the black one is better, my personal opinion.. the drawing is fantastic!

View attachment 5445
They both look amazing. The black may stand out a little more.

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
I HATE DARK MODE!!! :joy: :joy::innocent:

Sorry, i know i'm in the minority here, but the white one wins all day long for me. The Black on makes me want to look away instantly. it hurts my eyes!
(if it helps.. all my Apps, PC, Phone, Office 365, Chrome etc, are always set to Light mode. I just can't cope with Black!)

Reactions: LivestreamUniverse
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
very interesting feedback :) thanks all! I did another A/B test a little while ago (mosasaurus) and it turned out the original was "better" but to be honest, I still need to learn more about the "statistically significant" element. But I think as I evolve over time, as the nature of being an artist, I like to try new things, small tweaks to see if people respond, and sometimes I change them just for some more consistency overall with my thumbnails throughout my channel.

Screenshot (4711).png