• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Is it wrong to request subscribers on other channel videos

mutukudm

One of the strategy to grow your channel is to get more subscribers. Is it wrong or against Youtube policy to comment on other channel videos and ask people to subscribe to your channel?

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I do not if it is against any rules, but I think it is bad form. I would not go into someone's restaurant and pass out flyers for my restaurant.
You might try talking to owners of similar channels and see about a collab? That you both get advertised to each others viewers.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I do not if it is against any rules, but I think it is bad form. I would not go into someone's restaurant and pass out flyers for my restaurant.
You might try talking to owners of similar channels and see about a collab? That you both get advertised to each others viewers.

I agree with @Tito Tim it's not appropriate think of it this way. How would you feel if someone came in IRL and said that's great what @mutukudm is doing, but I"M BETTER SO PAY ATTENTION TO ME. You wouldn't like that, so don't do it to others :)

Reactions: Damon and mutukudm

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
One of the strategy to grow your channel is to get more subscribers. Is it wrong or against Youtube policy to comment on other channel videos and ask people to subscribe to your channel?
I would say it's against YT policy if you keep on commenting on other channels about subbing to your channel. People can report your comment for spam advertising.

It's also wrong because I know I wouldn't like it if somebody come onto my channel asking people to subscriber to them. So why should I do it to others?

Reactions: Damon and mutukudm

Bounce Gaming

TubeBuddy User
It's definitely distasteful and rude to go onto other Youtuber's creations to advertise your own channel. Instead maybe do this, write a comment about the video which shows that you watched it and care about the content, then sign off "from a fellow Youtube creator". That way, you're taking part in the conversation, as well as low-key advertising yourself that you're also a creator.

• Love
Reactions: mutukudm
OP
OP
mutukudm

mutukudm

It's definitely distasteful and rude to go onto other Youtuber's creations to advertise your own channel. Instead maybe do this, write a comment about the video which shows that you watched it and care about the content, then sign off "from a fellow Youtube creator". That way, you're taking part in the conversation, as well as low-key advertising yourself that you're also a creator.

Thank you. I like the sign off "from a fellow Youtube creator"

I agree with @Tito Tim it's not appropriate think of it this way. How would you feel if someone came in IRL and said that's great what @mutukudm is doing, but I"M BETTER SO PAY ATTENTION TO ME. You wouldn't like that, so don't do it to others :)

Thank you. I always enjoy your TubeBuddy video and the 101 live demos.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I wrote a whole piece on this in the 'YouTube Strategies' section, but the simple answer is that you CAN do this but you need to do so with 'class.' Be clever. Don't self promote so much as thank the creator for their work, show some appreciation for what they have done and then mention in passing how they inspired your channel or how you watch their videos to improve your own work. No, it isn't the best way of trying to grow subscribers or make friends and if you do this too much even that is going to be written off as spam. But if you are going to do it this is the method you should use.

Reactions: mutukudm

Chris Gainz

Not judging, but I canΓÇÖt imagine doing that. I value and respect the work and time it takes to make these videos. ItΓÇÖs not worth dancing in someone elseΓÇÖs kitchen to MAYBE gain a few more subscribers...IMO.

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Basically like all have said it's a no no. What i have learnt is to be part of a regular commentator on a popular channel around my niche. Over time as I make lovely comments, people will be curious to find out more about me. In a subtle way like someone said, I refer to my channel like ' oh dear, what you said was on point, I was making the same point in my video last week'. Believe me people are curious and will want to find out more about you. I have had some creators I admire check out my channel just because of positive feedback I made. I hate when people come on my channel to start their sub to sub, I the comments down. Subscriber will come as we keep improving on what we do.

All the best.

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi @mutukudm

I think you are focusing too much on the wrong metrics. Subscribers are good to have and have a good community that likes what you do is also a good thing. But what you want is people that watch your things. I don't have that many subscribers but a lot of watch time.

I would take a view of all of one of my videos and a useful, thoughtful comment any day.

I hope this helps.

Best regards
Daniel

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
it's incredibly poor form and it's more or less useless because most of the time asking for subscribers just gets your comment sent to spam anyway. If you're "lucky" your comment will never be seen/deleted, if you're unlucky, the creator might ban you from their channel.

the "best" way to get someone to subscribe to you via your comments in other people's videos, is simply to leave fun and INTERESTING comments that simply entice people to be curious to check out your channel organically. Asking people to subscribe in other people's comments is just desperate and cringe and no one wants that.

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Just no no no. This is poor form and I certainly would never click on someone who is asking like this. It kinda seems desperate. I have lots of similar YouTube channels IΓÇÖm subscribed to but IΓÇÖve been subscribed to them long before I started you tube. I comment all the time on things about what theyΓÇÖre talking about. If someone subscribed to my channel from this thatΓÇÖs great but I love community and would find the practice of siphoning subscribers abhorrent really. I see plenty of this type of ΓÇ£please subscribeΓÇ¥ on large YouTube channels. It is a thing but not a great place to start get long term loyal followers. ItΓÇÖs hard work for me IΓÇÖm too moral lol

iturgirlking

Subscriber Goal
Im a real little YouTuber and I know that's a no no.. they subscribe now then later they unsubscribe anyway.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When I've seen links like that in my comments I delete them and block the user if they do it again.

Reactions: SILTHW

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When I've seen links like that in my comments I delete them and block the user if they do it again.
IΓÇÖm the same, anything like that in my comments section will get removed, but not until IΓÇÖve taken a screen shot of it.

Reactions: SILTHW