• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Research What's the best type of videos to increase watch time and viewer retention?

HeresJonnyy

Hi guys,

I'm new to this whole YouTube thing and I am looking for a way to better my content, so what better place than the TubeBuddy forums?

I want to know, in your opinion or from your past experiences, what type of videos have you noticed have kept the viewer entertained? What sort of content is it or what have you done to increase it overtime?

I would love to hear from as many of you as possible! Good luck with your channels and have a great day!

Reactions: Key2DL

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
The only real answer is the type of content YOU WANT to do...and the Type of content YOU CAN get passionate about. Doesn't matter what that is. But no one is going to watch something they can't buy into.

For example, I'm a Cocktail Bartender. I can talk and educate all day long about Booze. But perhaps the higher views come in Tech niches. Now i can also talk all day long about Adwords and Websites and Analytics. BUT, it doesn't really interest me and that will show on screen. I just won't the views.

If you're a Gamer, do that. If you're a comedian, do that. If you're like my pal in the US who will spend all flippin week making Lego Videos, drop them and get 200,000 views in a few days...DO THAT. YouTube is all about your interests, your skill sets. In the UK, we have the Sidemen which is just a weird phenomen that has taken off. But it works for them. Find what works for you!

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello @HeresJonnyy,

The answer to your question is subjective. It's not what the content is so much as who's the audience watching it. As a gamer I can make content that will draw certain viewers to watch it consistently but if I change my content I could potentially discourage some of my viewers from watching. Now, if the change still relates to the original content I could not only keep the current viewers but add more as well.

In essence, you have to figure out who your ideal audience is first before you figure out what kind of content to create. As a gamer, I want to create content based around videogames. But who's my ideal audience? I want content that not only shows gameplay but also talks about games, the developers, news about games and the companies and the hardware we all play these games on. So my ideal audience are viewers interested in watching gameplay but also who are interested in gaming news and the latest in gaming tech. I could get viewers who enjoy gameplay but if they don't care much about gaming news or tech they may only watch some of my videos. Thus my goal is to create content that can draw in a specific crowd and thus my tags, titles, thumbnails and even my commenting and editing style must take that into account. I also like comedy and parody so as long as I implement all this into my content I should be able to build an ideal audience that's looking for that type of content.

I also have to accept that I can potentially be limiting myself based on so many variables. But if I can find the right balance I might be able to succeed. It's gonna take time, hard work, patience and a lot of trial and error but I believe I can pull it off.

I hope this answer helps.

Reactions: HeresJonnyy

Niki Proshin

Known Member
Can't agree more with Steve! Just do what you're passionate about, whatever that is. That's about the sort of content.
But one sort of content (let's say in travel niche because it's the closest niche to me) could be created in various ways. It could be vlogs, how-to videos, cinematic videos, challenges, etc. There are so many different types. Choose the one (ones) that you liked watching and creating yourself.

Sometimes I catch myself watching the stuff that I didn't really plan to watch, most of times I started and kept watching because of the passionate and enthusiastic creators behind the videos.

chileno0826

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Well there isn't really a straight up answer to your question to be honest. Just do what your best at, make a good thumbnail, and be consistent. You'll reach a certain audience that will want to watch you. Also it takes time and patients.

Reactions: HeresJonnyy
OP
OP
HeresJonnyy

HeresJonnyy

I appreicate the comment man! I know to follow my own passion and do my own thing, but was only asking to see what people do to increase their watch time. I am not in the position to worry about that as I have only just started my YouTube channel. I am from the UK also! I like the sidemen and their content, I don't know how they do it but they keep their content so fresh!

I would reckon some kind of tutorial would be most popular for YouTube. Start your title with ΓÇ£How toΓÇ¥ and people should click. Of course a good thumbnail and tags will be required as well.
I'll give it a try! I uploaded my first video the other day and the response I got it for my first video was pretty good! Do you create how to and tutorial content and if so, how frequently? Thanks for the comment and have a great day <3 :)

Hello @HeresJonnyy,

The answer to your question is subjective. It's not what the content is so much as who's the audience watching it. As a gamer I can make content that will draw certain viewers to watch it consistently but if I change my content I could potentially discourage some of my viewers from watching. Now, if the change still relates to the original content I could not only keep the current viewers but add more as well.

In essence, you have to figure out who your ideal audience is first before you figure out what kind of content to create. As a gamer, I want to create content based around videogames. But who's my ideal audience? I want content that not only shows gameplay but also talks about games, the developers, news about games and the companies and the hardware we all play these games on. So my ideal audience are viewers interested in watching gameplay but also who are interested in gaming news and the latest in gaming tech. I could get viewers who enjoy gameplay but if they don't care much about gaming news or tech they may only watch some of my videos. Thus my goal is to create content that can draw in a specific crowd and thus my tags, titles, thumbnails and even my commenting and editing style must take that into account. I also like comedy and parody so as long as I implement all this into my content I should be able to build an ideal audience that's looking for that type of content.

I also have to accept that I can potentially be limiting myself based on so many variables. But if I can find the right balance I might be able to succeed. It's gonna take time, hard work, patience and a lot of trial and error but I believe I can pull it off.

I hope this answer helps.
Dude, what a comment! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to do this! I make gaming content myself, but revolve myself around class setups and how to make someone a better player, thus levelling up the viewers experience when playing the game for themselves. I have an ideal audience and thankfully my persona fits like a glove in that community.

I have the belief that if you aren't enjoying the content you are making, you should switch it up but also keep the content original (same persona, same type of video etc.) and your comment about it said it perfectly! I wish you all the best with your YouTube channel and I hope to see you with 1000 subscribers very soon! Happy gaming! :)

Talk about anything you are passionate about. It always works!
Thank you! I do and will carry on to do that! Have a great day!

Well there isn't really a straight up answer to your question to be honest. Just do what your best at, make a good thumbnail, and be consistent. You'll reach a certain audience that will want to watch you. Also it takes time and patients.
Couldn't agree more! Patience is definitely virtue. I will implement these and carry on! Have a great day :)

Can't agree more with Steve! Just do what you're passionate about, whatever that is. That's about the sort of content.
But one sort of content (let's say in travel niche because it's the closest niche to me) could be created in various ways. It could be vlogs, how-to videos, cinematic videos, challenges, etc. There are so many different types. Choose the one (ones) that you liked watching and creating yourself.

Sometimes I catch myself watching the stuff that I didn't really plan to watch, most of times I started and kept watching because of the passionate and enthusiastic creators behind the videos.
I go into the depths of youtube videos and lose myself too! I agree, if the passion is there and the content creator is enthusiastic about what they are putting out, then you can enjoy the content a lot more and keep on watching them! Also, Steve is da man!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man that is a REALLY loaded question! lol. There are countless interests for human beings out there and any one of them can be presented in a stimulating and interesting manner on video. I wouldn't suggest aiming for a certain type of video, rather I would focus on making your style of video interesting. Be 110% you and keep the content punchy with a good pace. Regardless of the type of video this approach seems to work well.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I think I agree its a loaded question with lots of analysis. Therefore I will talk only about my opinion and what I have noticed as a newbie myself while researching -tutorials as I normally watch a few times, normally rewind, etc until I get the point.
Then others I noticed are Hobbies that people are interested in, ASMR videos and videos with animals cats or dogs, travel, makeup, and cooking loads more actually also have high retention however at the end of the day you can only do what your passion is and what you know about , even these have to keep people watching
So I suppose the idea is making videos that will keep people watching and not clicking off regardless of the topic.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi guys,

I'm new to this whole YouTube thing and I am looking for a way to better my content, so what better place than the TubeBuddy forums?

I want to know, in your opinion or from your past experiences, what type of videos have you noticed have kept the viewer entertained? What sort of content is it or what have you done to increase it overtime?

I would love to hear from as many of you as possible! Good luck with your channels and have a great day!
It's always determined by your niche and passion. "Draw This In Your Style" seems popular in the art niche, but there's no point in a cooking channel doing that because even if it's "Trendy" it's completely wrong for that niche.

You have to figure out your niche and passion first. Many YouTubers don't see "fame" until 5 or more years in... so you gotta figure out what you want to do for 5 years first, THEN research other videos in that similar feild. If you're into cooking, what are other successful cooking channels doing?

What works for one person might not work for you, so you have to know YOUR passion first, and then find out what similar channels in your passion do.

Reactions: JourneyVerse