• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Does YouTube consider your total membership time in the algorithm?

Goode Life Outdoors

Subscriber Goal
I began posting videos as The Goode Life Outdoors in October 2018, however, I opened my YouTube account in August 2011. When I view my analytics over the channel lifetime, there is a large line of inactivity before my first videos were posted.

Is it possible that this long period of inactivity affects my rankings in the YouTube algorithm? I've seen good growth this year, but I feel it could be better compared to other similar channels, and want to try to narrow down my strategies. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
YouTube values 'Fresh Content,' much more so than people think. So directly no, the age of your channel and that length of time with no views doesn't impact your performance. What may impact you to a degree is the subscribers that you may have had.

For example, let's say you started 2012 with 2,000 subscribers but you didn't post any videos from 2012 until 2020. Eight years later you start posting videos and none of your subscribers remember who you are; they don't click on your videos and they don't watch them. This signals to YouTube that the immediately notified audience of 2,000 people did not like your work. And that is going to affect the performance of your video (at least in the short term... because if that video got great retention, watchtime and significant CTR outside of your subscriber base YouTube will eventually pick up on that and find an audience that is going to like the video).

Reactions: Goode Life Outdoors

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
'Fresh Content,'

To be more accurate in how they say it them selves they call it "Relevant" content since YouTube search is by default set to relevancy. The time of your account only matters IF you use to perform much better than you are today.
For example, let's say you started 2012 with 2,000 subscribers but you didn't post any videos from 2012 until 2020. Eight years later you start posting videos and none of your subscribers remember who you are; they don't click on your videos and they don't watch them. This signals to YouTube that the immediately notified audience of 2,000 people did not like your work. And that is going to affect the performance of your video (at least in the short term... because if that video got great retention, watchtime and significant CTR outside of your subscriber base YouTube will eventually pick up on that and find an audience that is going to like the video).

This is pretty spot on. However, another factor is YouTube is also looking to serve you to people outside of this audience, they want to see how your core audience, and people outside of it react, until it can grasp where to place you.

OP
OP
Goode Life Outdoors

Goode Life Outdoors

Subscriber Goal
Hi @Goode Life Outdoors

Well, they factor in many things but I really hope they don't factor in how old your account is and the amount of inactivity. My channel is from Dec 29, 2007 and I started to use my channel 3 years ago :)

Best regards
Daniel

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like we may not have to worry about it.

YouTube values 'Fresh Content,' much more so than people think. So directly no, the age of your channel and that length of time with no views doesn't impact your performance. What may impact you to a degree is the subscribers that you may have had.

To be more accurate in how they say it them selves they call it "Relevant" content since YouTube search is by default set to relevancy. The time of your account only matters IF you use to perform much better than you are today.

This is pretty spot on. However, another factor is YouTube is also looking to serve you to people outside of this audience, they want to see how your core audience, and people outside of it react, until it can grasp where to place you.

This makes a lot of sense! I did not start getting subscribers until I posted my first videos, so I think I'm in the clear. Honestly, my channel is fairly broad in content so I know I'm picking up views from several different types of viewers. I like variety, so hopefully I can start getting some cross traffic as I go.

Many thanks for the insight!

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Take into account, even 2,000 subscribers is not a big number. Even if you have these pre-existing subscribers it will make little difference as YouTube will be suggesting out your video and it's performance will be affected by the habits of the people who watch. I simply mentioned this scenario to help give a better understanding of how this particular portion of the Search and Discovery Systems (the algorithm) works. The subscriber caveat isn't a death sentence, but this does provide insight into why you do NOT want to do Sub4Sub.

Reactions: Pogi Harry
OP
OP
Goode Life Outdoors

Goode Life Outdoors

Subscriber Goal
Take into account, even 2,000 subscribers is not a big number. Even if you have these pre-existing subscribers it will make little difference as YouTube will be suggesting out your video and it's performance will be affected by the habits of the people who watch. I simply mentioned this scenario to help give a better understanding of how this particular portion of the Search and Discovery Systems (the algorithm) works. The subscriber caveat isn't a death sentence, but this does provide insight into why you do NOT want to do Sub4Sub.

So, you're saying my ~300 sub count is not making much of a drop in the bucket. Ha! I definitely hear you on the Sub4Sub front. I want viewers who are there for my content, not subs there for personal gain. Thanks again!

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
The value of your 300 subs is misconceived. You have 300 subscribers who are hopefully excited about your work and are dedicated to the content you create. If they are then they are hopefully giving you good CTR and watchtime when you first publish a video, there is value in that. But look at the number of impressions you get after 90 days or so... that number should far surpass anything your subscriber base can do for you. If you are satisfied with 300 subscribers (and there is absolultey nothing wrong with that) then do what you do without concern for anything else. But if you want to grow your channel larger your growth is dependent on your performance outside of your subscriber base. 300 subscribers is an accomplishment, but considering the millions of viewers watching content as we speak that 300 is going to make a 'drop in the bucket' impact versus the creators who you are competing with for search ranks and suggested impressions.

Reactions: Blessing
OP
OP
Goode Life Outdoors

Goode Life Outdoors

Subscriber Goal
The value of your 300 subs is misconceived. You have 300 subscribers who are hopefully excited about your work and are dedicated to the content you create. If they are then they are hopefully giving you good CTR and watchtime when you first publish a video, there is value in that. But look at the number of impressions you get after 90 days or so... that number should far surpass anything your subscriber base can do for you. If you are satisfied with 300 subscribers (and there is absolultey nothing wrong with that) then do what you do without concern for anything else. But if you want to grow your channel larger your growth is dependent on your performance outside of your subscriber base. 300 subscribers is an accomplishment, but considering the millions of viewers watching content as we speak that 300 is going to make a 'drop in the bucket' impact versus the creators who you are competing with for search ranks and suggested impressions.

Sorry, I intended the drop in a bucket comment as a joke, nothing more. I certainly am hoping to grow far greater than the subs I have now. At some point, I would like to make a bit of money from this hobby. Thanks for your diligence!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Sorry, I intended the drop in a bucket comment as a joke, nothing more. I certainly am hoping to grow far greater than the subs I have now. At some point, I would like to make a bit of money from this hobby. Thanks for your diligence!
Ugh... Gotcha. I have a tendency of getting all preachy. Sorry about that!