• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube SEO Do tags still mean anything on YouTube?

TechLifeYT

TubeBuddy User
Hey!

So, I've been using TubeBuddy for a while and love the tag suggestion tool. However, after YouTube's Studio update, I've noticed that they have moved tags into the 'More options' area when uploading.
Does this mean that tags aren't as relevant anymore, or hurt SEO, or was it just a convenient place to put it for them?

More Options.png

Thank you.

Reactions: WanderWithArin

Jonnoi

Recognized Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
hello @TechLifeYT :cool:. Some are of the opinion that they are now obsolete but i still use them with all my uploads because it does help with the seo once done correctly. your tags should correspond with your video title. Along with that i ensure that i put as much useful information as i can about the video in the description area.

Reactions: TechLifeYT

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I was wondering. All the 'experts' were stressing tags but YT seems to be dismissive of them when asked. Now they are moved way to the bottom, in a separate part of the page. Not sure if they no longer care about them, or are just not promoting them...

I still make sure and put in my tags. Probably won't hurt?

OP
OP
TechLifeYT

TechLifeYT

TubeBuddy User
hello @TechLifeYT :cool:. Some are of the opinion that they are now obsolete but i still use them with all my uploads because it does help with the seo once done correctly. your tags should correspond with your video title. Along with that i ensure that i put as much useful information as i can about the video in the description area.
Thank you for the quick response! I'll make sure to continue using them then. Like Tito Tim says, it probably won't hurt.

Reactions: Jonnoi

jtaylor1409

bit.ly
Subscriber Goal
I've actually found better traction for my videos since using the Keyword Tag Planner tool within the Tubebuddy app so I think they definitely still do hold some weight with videos. They probably aren't as prevalent as before but they 100% still help with ranking and gaining viewership.

Reactions: TechLifeYT

Moto Mengy

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It seems to me like tags and keywords are interchangeable. The Tag section itself might not mean as much as it used to, but those tags are keywords which should be utilized in the title, description, and even the speech in the video itself. All four together can work in concert to potentially drive views.