• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

How do you store all the videos you create?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
With multiple hard drives you can use Windows Storage Spaces or a purchased program like Stablebit Drivepool to create a single drive comprised of multiple drives and even have duplication. I started with Storage Spaces but it is an all or nothing for duplication so I switched to Drivepool which allows me to set which folders duplicate across drives just in case one fails.

I figured some might delete their videos once posted but this would mean if YouTube ever lost them or took them down they are gone so I keep all usable video footage I've taken. Granted I'm also the type of person that has all my photos backed up on my computer, google photos, and amazon photos just to be sure they are never lost.

I didn't know that! Thank you so much that's awesome and I'll give it a try :)

Reactions: WorldComposting

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
This is a great topic! One I plan to cover on my channel as a tech channel.

I am running a Synology DS918+ NAS. The great thing about a NAS is that it can grow with you. So when I first bought it I went with 4TB drives as they were the best price/gb at the time. But whenever I outgrow those, I can seemless swap out the 4GB drives with 8,10,12, or 16TB drives (only restricted by budget) and keep on going!

In the grand scheme of things, storage has never been cheaper. But I understand it can be hard to budget what gear you need when starting out. Getting something that can start out smaller and then grow with you is a great strategy (if budget is a concern you can start even smaller than 4TB drives, as long as the NAS you choose has future upgrade-ability you can always add or upgrade your drives).

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a huge external drive box that stores all of my files. IΓÇÖm planning upgrades in the near future to double size and possibly also look into cloud backups for my most essential files.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I film with my phone and it automatically backs up pics & vids to Google Photos. But I never trust other people for backups so I still have my own. I have six 4 Tb external drives. Three drives are the back up, and the other three are an extra copy of the backup. It surprises me how often I want to go back and grab a pic or clip from an old project. (only one set is YT, the other drives are music, programs, iso copies of all my DVDs...)

Last week I went to a huge touristy beach, that is a covid ghost town. I went and found a clip of the exact section of beach from a previous visit and did a side by side comparison. I delete pretty much nothing.

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Some of you guys are fancy when it comes to storing your videos looks like (meaning you have large external hard drives or even just a 1 TB external harddrive) while I'm just here storing them between my two computers ( both have a internal hard drive of 1TB space each). I also have unedited versions of videos and unedited video clips from videos still stored on my camera's memory card. I've got every size memory card for camera going from 2GB up to 128 GB (meaning I have a 2GB memory card (x2), a 4 GB memory card, a 8 GB, 2x 16 GB memory cards, a 32 GB, a 64 GB, and a 128GB memory card). These are just memory cards that have been collected over the years. Now you can't hardly store any video on a 2GB memory card unless its super poor quality. I mainly use my 64GB and my 128 GB memory card to store while I'm filming. I also have a habit of deleting my videos off my computers and memory cards after they are on YouTube since I don't have an external hard drive and I don't know where to get one.

Paddle & hike

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
I save everything on an external hard drive...
It can be moved if i need it and my stuff will be safe.
2-3 TB is plenty enough.
They aren't too expensive to buy too.

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm ok for local storage:
1600077851252.png

I need to start replicating it somewhere though, something like Backblaze or Google Drive.

• Haha
Reactions: Beanie Draws

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I use a synology NAS. I have 20TB of storage. Some day I want to move to a full 10GB network so I can edit directly from the NAS. But not ready to eat that cost yet.

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have 2 8TB drives. I've nearly filled 1. I'll be putting a lot of stuff on an external for "cold" storage. I don't do any cloud storage atm. I do put footage for the current video being edited on an nvme drive for faster editing/rendering. Then move it to the aforementioned platter drives.

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
It would probably help if I understood what half of you are doing lol :D

For me simplicity is the key, but also do not rely on one method. So all mine backup automatically to Google Drive and iCloud simultaneously. Simples!

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
I'm ok for local storage:
View attachment 7447

I need to start replicating it somewhere though, something like Backblaze or Google Drive.
Checkout services that backup to Amazon Glacier. Glacier is dirt cheap (cheapest per TB) and has a very high redundancy. When I say dirt cheap I mean dollars per month.

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
Checkout services that backup to Amazon Glacier. Glacier is dirt cheap (cheapest per TB) and has a very high redundancy. When I say dirt cheap I mean dollars per month.
Yeah, depending on location, Glacier is roughly $4.50/month/terabyte. So it works out quite expensive with a lot of terabytes. Right now Backblaze has an unlimited package, but only for your local machine, like your internal disks, which is quite cheap. If you have a NAS or something like that, then you need the higher package which is more expensive and has limits. The current best provider by price for large storage is Google Business. A standard business account with one user offers 1TB of storage, but they not enforcing it and there are people with over 100TB in their Google Drive. As it's only a replication of your local data, it doesn't really matter if they start enforcing it and delete your stuff. Also look up "drive shucking", if you want to save money on internal storage by buying WD Elements one their monthly deals.

Reactions: SILTHW

Deciden0w

TubeBuddy Pro
savagebutsimple.business.site
Subscriber Goal
External hard drive is my go to. Not sure about storing my files in a cloud service. I just don't find them to be as "safe". Maybe in the future, but for now I'm sticking to my external hard drives

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
External hard drive is my go to. Not sure about storing my files in a cloud service. I just don't find them to be as "safe". Maybe in the future, but for now I'm sticking to my external hard drives
The better cloud services (MSFT, AWS, Google) run at 3x redundancy and have a 99.999999999% of object durability over a year. Your external hard drive has a significantly higher failure rate :)