• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice How to improve the viewing time on a video??

Maryan Cernea YT

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
How to improve the viewing time on a video or how to keep people on video longer?
Thank you in advance! :party: :grinning:

Attachments

• 1-251.png
    1-251.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 148

Niki Proshin

Known Member
I'll reply as a viewer. Usually I watch the whole video if:
1. the video is right about what I expected and wanted to watch (and my expectations are based on the title and thumbnail you made);
2. the video is enjoyable to watch (good narration, good personality of the creator, good enough video and audio quality, etc.);
3. the video is valuable for me (either it is educational or entertaining value).

Make interesting video with good quality of production, that's the answer for me.

OP
OP
Maryan Cernea YT

Maryan Cernea YT

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'll reply as a viewer. Usually I watch the whole video if:
1. the video is right about what I expected and wanted to watch (and my expectations are based on the title and thumbnail you made);
2. the video is enjoyable to watch (good narration, good personality of the creator, good enough video and audio quality, etc.);
3. the video is valuable for me (either it is educational or entertaining value).

Make interesting video with good quality of production, that's the answer for me.
Thanks! :) :party:

Moto Mengy

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It's interesting to think of video creation from the viewer's point of view. I'm trying to make the first 30 seconds of my vids as informative, entertaining, and attention grabbing as possible.

I'm still very much working on how to do all of that though! :cool:

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
If you make longer videos that always seems to help me. If I make a 3 minute video I might get 1-2 minutes on average of views. If I make a ten minute video I might get 5-6 minutes of watch time. It helps your channel rank better over time. IΓÇÖve noticed my channel does better if I publish many 15-20 minutes videos or longer instead of when I publish several 2-3 minute videos.

Niki Proshin

Known Member
Yeah, making longer videos works for me too! My longest video (17+ minutes) has longest average watch time as well

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
As I viewer I want the video to be what the title and thumbnail advertised. If it is clickbait, I click away. I think it is more important to make the content interesting and engaging, than technically perfect. I have seen a lot of beautifully produced - boring - videos. It needs to be watchable, but does not need to be Hollywood... Decent quality, personable, and deliver the info you advertise.

I pay more attention to the percentage of the video, more than the time. 5 minute retention on a 6 minute video is good, 5 minutes on a 30 minute video, not so good. I am unsure what is important to YT (time/percentage/some combination?). I average about 65% retention. I see on the analytics that some people click away at the beginning, but most that stay, stay until the end. So the average is pretty good. I would like to get everyone to stay... but I am pretty happy with my retention as is.

Reactions: Niki Proshin

Bounce Gaming

TubeBuddy User
I read somewhere that a new viewer will give your video 5-6 seconds to figure out whether or not it's worth watching. So you'll have to have something catchy in the first few seconds to retain their attention.