• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice Best inexpensive Lighting?

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
What is the best inexpensive lighting when you are just getting started working with lighting? I have a beauty light ring that I use sometimes. But I'm thinking of something that I can put on either side of the camera to make better lighting. But have no clue where to start on what to get.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have a USB powered 12" light ring that I use. It is on a tripod stand. Camera mounts inside the light, I really like it. Total cost was like $12 online.

When I use my green screen I have 2 light fixtures, with the compact fluorescent bulbs, velcroed onto umbrellas - with a silver metallic inside. Dollar store umbrellas, hardware store lights & cords, and fabric store cloth. Total cost (lights & green screen) $20.

Not a high tech lighting setup, but actually works pretty well, and hard to beat the price.

Reactions: HealthyTiffany

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
What is the best inexpensive lighting when you are just getting started working with lighting? I have a beauty light ring that I use sometimes. But I'm thinking of something that I can put on either side of the camera to make better lighting. But have no clue where to start on what to get.

What's your budget? Under 100? Under 50? :)

RobertHyman

TubeBuddy User
I made a video about the cheapest gear to use, but get "Pro" results. I use 2 different lights. Both are $25 and under (one of them is $41 but it came with a rechargeable battery . The light is under $25).

Here is the link to the vid if it helps you

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkktlbTUm6M

There are also links in the description if you want the lights NOTE: They are not affiliate links so I get nothing from this other than helping others and paying it forward :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ASMRSadie

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
My Studio is made up of 6 "Auraglow Super Bright LED 6400k (100w) Lightbulbs". Just normal household...but flippin bright...lightbulbs. Cost me £12 UK each. For a Studio thats permanently set up, there's really no need for proper studio lights. However, if you're constantly setting up and packing away, then maybe studio lighting, although expensive, maybe less hassle.

Reactions: ASMRSadie

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I ordered some super bright LED garage lights off Amazon as lighting but if you go this route you might need to do color correction in editing. I primarily show other items so the bright lighting is key.

RobertHyman

TubeBuddy User
Sounds perfect. IΓÇÖm doing more of a darker background so those little lights work awesome for me, plus if IΓÇÖm going mobile,I can mount those lights on my Ulamzi
I ordered some super bright LED garage lights off Amazon as lighting but if you go this route you might need to do color correction in editing. I primarily show other items so the bright lighting is key.

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
In my experience the cheap ones are simply not worth the money and the trouble and you are better to sit near a very bright window because that will give you natural light but if you can afford a good Ringlite those would be ideal

RobertHyman

TubeBuddy User
In my experience the cheap ones are simply not worth the money and the trouble and you are better to sit near a very bright window because that will give you natural light but if you can afford a good Ringlite those would be ideal
Hey BlackBelt... I would certainly agree with you get what you pay for, but not all inexpensive lights/gear are "Cheap" the lights I use are incredible reasonable and great lights. Comes with filters and you can control intensity. Basically, you gotta check the equipment out, read reviews and see if other are using them. Thats why I made the video i did. Many other creators are using the same gear. Doesnt have to break the bank. :)

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey BlackBelt... I would certainly agree with you get what you pay for, but not all inexpensive lights/gear are "Cheap" the lights I use are incredible reasonable and great lights. Comes with filters and you can control intensity. Basically, you gotta check the equipment out, read reviews and see if other are using them. Thats why I made the video i did. Many other creators are using the same gear. Doesnt have to break the bank. :)
Yes - also please don't always rely on reviews. I've been offered £50 GBP to remove a negative review before now !!

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
For me, Natural light always work if you want to do the video outdoors and it's sunny outside. But when at home, a bright LED lamp light would work.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been looking into Neewer lights. Much less expensive than Elgato lights, and still brand name enough to be a worthy investment. I'm also looking into some ring light setups as well. But for studio lights, it looks like Neewer are good, and flat.

skrach

Subscriber Goal
I'm a cheapskate.

So I'm gonna go with things you probably already have lying around and my not have thought of.

1. Don't underestimate natural light. It's free and can help set moods depending on the time of day and favorable weather conditions.

2. A floor lamp. Take off the shade, use a reflective surface behind it or hang a sheet in front to create diffuse lighting. Never place anything directly onto nor too close to the bulb... that's a fire hazard.

3. Well placed flashlights never hurt anyone.

Get creative. Lighting is one of the things that, for the most part, isn't shown directly on camera. So no one will know how janky your setup is. There is no need to be super professional about what tools you use as long as they work for you. Unless you really really want to and/or have the budget for it.

-skrach

Reactions: itstom

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been looking into Neewer lights. Much less expensive than Elgato lights, and still brand name enough to be a worthy investment. I'm also looking into some ring light setups as well. But for studio lights, it looks like Neewer are good, and flat.

I'd second the vote for the Neewer lights! I've got the 550 LED Neewer panel lights right now and they do the job pretty well. I'd love to upgrade to a larger softbox soon but the budget does go up as the size and quality of the light/softbox goes up.