• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Editing Software Filmora9 or DaVinci

Col44

Hi Guys n Gals, for a pure technophobe, who currently edits on Kinemaster on his phone, which laptop software should I try ? Time to up my game
Cheers, Col

Niki Proshin

Known Member
I use DaVinci Resolve since the very beginning, and it is quite nice. There are also lots of creators on youtube who do great DaVinci tutorials (but I think that's same for the rest of the programs too).

Reactions: Col44

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I haven't tried both of those, but I heard DaVinci is a good editing software.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Guys n Gals, for a pure technophobe, who currently edits on Kinemaster on his phone, which laptop software should I try ? Time to up my game
Cheers, Col

DaVinci resolve has a free version, and filmora 9 has trials, if you have a TB licences you can get a trial of Filmora, both are great, but it really depends which one you like using more!

Carpot

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I currently use Shotcut, which is free and open-source and think about switching to Premiere Pro.

Carpot

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
We use premiere pro for all the video projects at TubeBuddy it's awesome! If you need a free tip your toes in version there is adobe rush :)
I just have one problem with Premiere Pro:
I record my gaming sessions with Streamlabs OBS, so I have my Overlays, Facecam, all set up as I want it, click on record and have my file. Only Problem: It saves as .flv which is not supported by Premiere Pro. Thats a big minus in my mind!

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I just have one problem with Premiere Pro:
I record my gaming sessions with Streamlabs OBS, so I have my Overlays, Facecam, all set up as I want it, click on record and have my file. Only Problem: It saves as .flv which is not supported by Premiere Pro. Thats a big minus in my mind!
Do you record it in .mkv for a reason?

Carpot

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Do you record it in .mkv for a reason?
Nevermind...just figured out yesterday, that you can change this setting in Streamlabs OBS. I just changed to .mp4 and will give it a try today to edit with Premiere Pro

Reactions: Ikerot

AurigaDave

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.astronomyshows4schools.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
I use Filmora9, I have used flimors for a few years, for both YT and other professional standard videos i use for work...once you get to grips with the way the program works I find it very easy (chromascreen isn't that hot though IMHO). I would recommend it, and the Transitions/Audio that come with it are good, with the option to buy others should you need to

Carpot

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I use Filmora9, I have used flimors for a few years, for both YT and other professional standard videos i use for work...once you get to grips with the way the program works I find it very easy (chromascreen isn't that hot though IMHO). I would recommend it, and the Transitions/Audio that come with it are good, with the option to buy others should you need to
That's exactly a big point for me: Chromakeying. I do not have the best lighting yet for my greenscreen and often strugle with the chroma. I found out, that the chromakeying in Streamlabs OBS works better than in Shotcut, which I currently use. I hope that Premiere Pro does an even better job ;)

AurigaDave

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.astronomyshows4schools.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
I fine Filmora's ChromaKey is very sensitive to the slightest shadow...if your background is 100% smooth and flat (and well lit) it may work well for you, I think you get a X days free trial...have a look...it is a good program, but like most people get used to the ones we work with lol

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I purchased Filmora9 and find that it it is easier to use if you are making simple adjustments to video files. I installed recently and have been using DaVinci Resolve more as I get into timelapse videos.

Now if you haven't I really recommend trying both of these. I actually went to use DaVinci Resolve first but it crashed a lot as it has pretty beefy requirements and my computer couldn't handle it where as Filmora9 worked perfectly fine. I upgraded to a newer CPU (Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM) but still hit issues sometimes with my graphics card (PNY GTX 1060 3GB).

In the end I still use both as I feel DaVinci takes more work to do simple changes than Filmora9.

FYI I'm editing 4K at 30FPS video.

If you have any specific questions I might be able to answer let me know!

chileno0826

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I just started using DaVinci and it's amazing! A little confusing when you first start but give it time and you'll learn. There are also a bunch of videos on YouTube that teach you how to use it!

Reactions: WorldComposting

AJ Faith & Fitness

TubeBuddy User
I have not used DaVinci however have used Fimora9, and so far I have no complaints! It is packed with features and easy to learn and use. It is very cost effective too, and I believe one of the TubeBuddy perks for a paid license is 30% off Fimlmora9... only wish I knew of this before I bought it, lol! However I do not regret getting it.

Reactions: Col44

BMGamingYT

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I noticed davinci is very demanding on pc hardware, I have the fx-6300 six core processor and mine crashes even doing 1080p, not sure how filmora would do as I never used it

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I noticed davinci is very demanding on pc hardware, I have the fx-6300 six core processor and mine crashes even doing 1080p, not sure how filmora would do as I never used it
That is more than enough processor the question becomes RAM (16GB minimum) and Graphics Card. I know I have 16GB RAM so I can't use Fusion (requires 32GB) and my Graphics Card also gets maxed out at times. So I agree Davinci is a resource hog.

Filmora ran on a 10 year old AMD phenom processor with 4 GB of ram without a real issue. Although I had to let it create smaller files or it would stutter.

Reactions: BMGamingYT