• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gaming Any Roguelike Fans Here? Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, etc

OP
OP
Judo Cruise Gaming

Judo Cruise Gaming

TubeBuddy Star
Hey Andrew! Sorry I'm just getting caught up with stuff, had to walk the dog.

When I say Roguelike, I mean any game that's different every time you play it. Random maps, random items, stuff like that. And when you die, it's game over. You gotta start all over. Sometimes you will keep some of your progress though, depends on the game.

Here's the official Wikipedia explanation:

"Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character."

I personally don't like the turn based games as much.

Here are some more examples aside from Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon:

Dead Cells
Rogue Legacy
Spelunky
Slay the Spire
Nuclear Throne
Risk of Rain
even Diablo is kinda roguelikey

And when I say Bullethell I mean games where there's hundreds of bullets on the screen at a time that you have to dodge. Games like:

Nex MachinaI
Ikaruga
Jamestown
etc

Enter the Gungeon is a combination roguelike/Bullethell so statistically that's gotta be one of my favorites. And it is!

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I REALLY want to like roguelike games, but I seem to be unable to get deep into these type of games xP

I liked Binding of Issac, FTL, Death Road to Canada, Dungeon of the Endless, but I haven't played them in a while. I spent a good chunk of hours on Don't Starve, but it's always hard to find people to play with lol. I also tried playing Moonlighter again... but then it made me really want to play Recettear instead.

Reactions: Judo Cruise Gaming
OP
OP
Judo Cruise Gaming

Judo Cruise Gaming

TubeBuddy Star
I REALLY want to like roguelike games, but I seem to be unable to get deep into these type of games xP

I liked Binding of Issac, FTL, Death Road to Canada, Dungeon of the Endless, but I haven't played them in a while. I spent a good chunk of hours on Don't Starve, but it's always hard to find people to play with lol. I also tried playing Moonlighter again... but then it made me really want to play Recettear instead.

Very cool man! You aren't alone, I've heard a lot of people who can't get into roguelikes for very long. For me I guess the appeal is fast arcade gameplay, the way random powerups can synergize with each other, and tons of cool unlockables to reward your efforts.

I like to be constantly barraged with action from the time I pick up the controller till the moment I set it down lol

I will have to check out Dungeon of the Endless, because I really like tower Defense games too.

Moonlighter sounds interesting, haven't had a chance to try it yet though

i love roguelikes like brogue and angband

Nice! Those are some super old-school style gaming titles. Goes to show it really is all about the gameplay, and graphics come second

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Very cool man! You aren't alone, I've heard a lot of people who can't get into roguelikes for very long. For me I guess the appeal is fast arcade gameplay, the way random powerups can synergize with each other, and tons of cool unlockables to reward your efforts.
Yeah, I get ya. I got really into Deathroad to Canada for a while and played through it many times to get different results.

I like to be constantly barraged with action from the time I pick up the controller till the moment I set it down lol
I feel you on that with Rhythm games haha! xD

I will have to check out Dungeon of the Endless, because I really like tower Defense games too.
The Tower Defense part was what got me into the game. I might try it again this weekend. I suppose I've never found any good TD games after I left Warcraft 3 (so many years ago...)

Moonlighter sounds interesting, haven't had a chance to try it yet though
I love the idea of having your own shop and bartering with customers. That's why Reccettear was so good to me and is still a classic. Moonlighter has different graphics and more of a Binding of Issac style layout, but it's good in its own way.

OP
OP
Judo Cruise Gaming

Judo Cruise Gaming

TubeBuddy Star
Yeah, I get ya. I got really into Deathroad to Canada for a while and played through it many times to get different results.

I'll have to give Death Road to Canada a second try. I played it for the first time recently and I thought it was more of a twin stick shooter arcade game. Like Hotline Miami or something. It seemed to move really slowly and I had a bunch of other new games I wanted to get into so i kinda moved on.

But you're making me want to go back and give it another try. If it made you replay it with all the characters it's gotta be doing something right.

You mentioned rhythm games. Have you played Crypt of the Necrodancer? Rhythm roguelike. It's awesome. I've never played anything like it. The music is awesome and it's so fast paced. It's so awesome when you're in the zone and riding high on the rhythm wave, and basically the worst thing ever when you lose lol. I actually couldn't bring myself to play it today, I needed something a bit more chill, that game is insane.

The Tower Defense part was what got me into the game. I might try it again this weekend. I suppose I've never found any good TD games after I left Warcraft 3 (so many years ago...)

What other tower defense games would you recommend? The best one I have played is called just Tower Defense from a company named Com2US (I believe) and it's only on mobile (I think).

I love the idea of having your own shop and bartering with customers. That's why Reccettear was so good to me and is still a classic.

Yeah that's a really interesting idea for a game: you are the shopkeeper. Moonlighter was the only one I knew of to be honest. So you hands down recommend Reccettear over Moonlighter? If I'm gonna play a shop keeper game, wanna know I'm playing the best one :D

TanookiAlex

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been playing Nuclear Throne and Enter The Gungeon and i can't get enough of it. Judo, have you heard of Mod The Gungeon? Using mods you can add custom characters, and expand it with secret floors. I could even mod my roblox avatar into the game with pixelated sprites if i wanted to. It's super cool!

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I would recommend Gunfire Reborn. It's a roguelike fps, and the game was so good, my first week on YouTube was 80% just this game.
I also bought MOTHERGUNSHIP recently, and it looks really cool, but I didn't get around to playing it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Roguelike is my favourite genre besides sandbox because there's so much stuff you can do (and so many bad ideas to try).

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I got Risk of Rain 2 this month. It feels like a third-person shooter of Binding of Isaac to me lol. I quite enjoy it + it's co-op.