• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Confused about channel memberships

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I got an email from YT today saying I was qualified for channel memberships. I went to my channel and activated memberships. There does seem to be a lot to set up now...
But I was pretty sure I was not eligible. I looked at the requirements and it still says you need over 30,000 subs - I have 3,500. Way less than 30k. I seriously doubt I will get many (if any) members with so few subs, but hey why not try?

Do you know if they changed the requirements? Did I get invited by a glitch? Anybody else get a random invite?

~Edit~
I did just see this. So I guess I won the YT test kitchen lottery.

Note: You may see memberships on some channels with fewer than 30,000 subscribers. We plan to make memberships more broadly available in the future.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I got an email from YT today saying I was qualified for channel memberships. I went to my channel and activated memberships. There does seem to be a lot to set up now...
But I was pretty sure I was not eligible. I looked at the requirements and it still says you need over 30,000 subs - I have 3,500. Way less than 30k. I seriously doubt I will get many (if any) members with so few subs, but hey why not try?

Do you know if they changed the requirements? Did I get invited by a glitch? Anybody else get a random invite?

~Edit~
I did just see this. So I guess I won the YT test kitchen lottery.

Note: You may see memberships on some channels with fewer than 30,000 subscribers. We plan to make memberships more broadly available in the future.

You won the YT lottery! It has a lot of value IF you make it have value. So one thing the Nimmins do is private streams, polls, etc. Daniel Batal gives members there a secret FB group, so it's like Patreon, but directy through YT, so it's what you put into it! congrats on getting it :D

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Wow! Congrats! To be able to get Membership without hitting the requirement. Nice.

Just like what Andrew said, it's basically like Patreon except on YT.

OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Yeah, it looks like Patreon but built into YouTube - which could be good. I am trying to figure out what perks to offer. And they insist on at least 3 levels of membership. I really want to avoid a paywall, I want my content to be freely available. So it is hard to figure out what to offer... other than my thanks... I do travel/expat videos, I do not have a product or service to sell.

So far I am looking at early access to videos. I do upload and schedule in advance. You can share a private/scheduled video in email. Other than early access to vids, all I can come up with is "Producer" credits, really just a fancier shoutout. And allowing them to make video idea suggestions.

It is hard to come up with perk ideas, that do not seem like hiding content behind a paywall.