• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Title length

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Just wondering as IΓÇÖve heard conflicting views. Titles of videos, should they be short sharp and sweet or should they have a lot of keywords in them. What has worked for you and why

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Just wondering as IΓÇÖve heard conflicting views. Titles of videos, should they be short sharp and sweet or should they have a lot of keywords in them. What has worked for you and why

YouTube recommends between 20 - 70 characters. Titles ideally should be Searchable first, and then compelling. This is what we do for all the TubeBuddy videos and has worked WONDERS it also works well on my personal channel and every channel I look at. It's highly recommended and can work amazingly well for you! However that's if you're going for search. Search can lead to suggested, but suggested can't lead into search. Search is the most steady and easy to target.

keep it between that 20 - 70 and you should be good :D

Reactions: TakeEachDay

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I get some strange answers to this one as well... in a recent 1 on 1 with one of our favorite YT guru-guys I was told specifically to target people with the title first and foremost. Make it interesting, intriguing and clickable. That went against what I believe (and what Andrew is saying above); that titles should first be searchable.

Regardless of what school of thought you subscribe to here is the bottom line with titles:
1) Whatever tag you put in the beginning of the title is going to act as a sort of 'master tag.' So if you really want to target one specific keyword for the purposes of search that is something you are going to want to do.
2) The value of search only goes so far; you can get a million impressions but if it isn't interesting people aren't going to click on it.

So in synopsis; utilize your title for search but also make it interesting. For further reference on the subject I suggest looking into the AP Stylebook. This outlines specific ways that journalists word titles in order to grab the most attention (while also being informative). Sorry there wasn't a more clear answer to this question, good luck!

Reactions: TakeEachDay
OP
OP
TakeEachDay

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I get some strange answers to this one as well... in a recent 1 on 1 with one of our favorite YT guru-guys I was told specifically to target people with the title first and foremost. Make it interesting, intriguing and clickable. That went against what I believe (and what Andrew is saying above); that titles should first be searchable.

Regardless of what school of thought you subscribe to here is the bottom line with titles:
1) Whatever tag you put in the beginning of the title is going to act as a sort of 'master tag.' So if you really want to target one specific keyword for the purposes of search that is something you are going to want to do.
2) The value of search only goes so far; you can get a million impressions but if it isn't interesting people aren't going to click on it.

So in synopsis; utilize your title for search but also make it interesting. For further reference on the subject I suggest looking into the AP Stylebook. This outlines specific ways that journalists word titles in order to grab the most attention (while also being informative). Sorry there wasn't a more clear answer to this question, good luck!
Yeah itΓÇÖs a tricky one as many of the search titles are heavily used then the next part has very good in overall tags but no good in search. IΓÇÖm in a tough niche of vlogging and outdoors. IΓÇÖm still trying to find a more. Narrow niche with this and have several adjuncts which is making it difficult to obtain secure sub base. IΓÇÖm a little all over the place so IΓÇÖm wondering if I should spilt to two separate channels. IΓÇÖm wanting a horse related channel and then vlogging about my adventures with autism. The pit falls etc. a lot of these niches are hard to crack but I guess if I keep trudging along people may just may start going there are a lot of videos letΓÇÖs just click on one or two lol. Mine will be ever evolving due to the nature of vlogging and life. Atm itΓÇÖs all about crafts and activities due to covid restrictions

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB