• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Ideas on improving channel

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
User name: Blessing
Title of thread: Ideas on improving channel
Self review: Started vlogging last year February. I fell like I am doing alright but I want to more so need to know what I need to imporve on. I have watched all tubebuddy trianing videos and I am learning everyday but ideas from creators will be appreciated.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnX5RrY1q15nwRt6MWAdUmA
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/26686/post-74057

Dennyps

Life Issues
6.5k subs
* channel banner: although colorful, it dosen't immediately tell me what your channel is all about
* newest video, Regina cries as mum did this:
Your title is compelling if you know Regina but how many know "Regina" consider revising.
* I liked the big white lines in the shape of a cross, it's a anchor to a large audience it also separates the pics but the pic on the right doesn't grab me, the pic on the left does.
* All in all your thumbnail & title don't make me want to click and watch your content.
* On all video's I would clearly state the intention or benefit to your target audience wanting to watch the entire video in the 1st 10 to 15 seconds.
* I found understanding mum was difficult, i would consider adding closed captions to aid your audience in understanding your heavily accented talent.
* Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Reactions: Blessing

automata

Self review: Started vlogging last year February. I fell like I am doing alright but I want to more so need to know what I need to imporve on. I have watched all tubebuddy trianing videos and I am learning everyday but ideas from creators will be appreciated.
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/26686/post-74057

I would like to touch upon a few things that were mentioned already to hopefully emphasise the importance of those:

- Thumbnails: While they tell a short story of what the video will be all about, they do seem to lack some essential information. Might be worth adding text to all your thumbnails to act as another title of sorts and to encourage consistency across your whole channel
Another note on the thumbnails is to bare in mind that majority of views will be coming from a mobile platform, so the thumbnail needs to be clear enough to make out what the images are, even when on a small screen like a phone or tablet.

- Banner: While the picture is quite nice, you can maybe just add some text onto the channel to inform your viewers about your channel as well as the dates and times you might be posting your content.

- Titles (SEO): Your titles are too long and don't really encourage me to click the video. Don't make it click-bait, but do leave some suspense in the title or maybe ask a question that you answer in the video. Shorten your titles and make sure they inform us what the video is about, but don't tell the whole story.

All in all your channel is really nice, and the content is consistent and clear. Congratulations on racking up a really nice number of followers already.
Good luck with the channel and the videos you are posting. :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
For starters I have looked over @Dennyps review and I totally agree with everything he is saying. The things that really stand out to me about your channel:

The Banner
It's a very pretty picture, but it does absolutely nothing for your channel. You need to utilize that space to inform incoming viewers about what it is that you are providing for them. The easiest advice on that is to have your channel name and your 'value proposition,' which is a single sentence that tells the visitor what you do and why you are their valuable resource for that.

Thumbnails
You thumbnails are not 'bad,' (saying they are 'good' or 'bad' is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion). You can tell that you are putting in work on your thumbnails, but I would venture to say that I don't think they are performing for you. Do you watch your CTR (Click Through Rate) on your videos? This will tell you how effective they are. On average thumbnails typically fall around the 3%-4% range. If you aren't at least hitting those numbers you need to completely overhaul your thumbnail design. If you are hitting those numbers you need to try and improve it; the best channels aim for +10% or higher. If/When you can get a CTR like that you will see a VAST improvement on the performance of your videos.

Titles
These are tricky, and to my knowledge there isn't a single rule of thumb or thing I can point out that will make as drastic an impact on titles as my above advice on thumbs. But I can say that your titles have the 'right idea' but fail in what you are trying to accomplish.
For example, your most recent video about Bishop Gerald Glenn:
The title is very long and cuts off like this -
'Bishop Gerald Glenn(Virgina Pastor) who defiantly held...'
Now in this circumstance I believe that the title getting cut off may have actually helped you. It left an open-ended question that the viewer wants to see the answer to (What did he hold so defiantely?). And if you are aiming for people who are searching for the name 'Bishop Gerald Glenn' then you did the right thing by having his name in the beginning of the title. But let's look at an example where these exact same approaches failed.
In your video about the Accountant General's Office in Nigeria, the title reads:
'Accountant General of Nigeria's office in Abuja...'
In this circumstance there is no question that the viewer wants answered. It is simply a generic listing of an office in Nigeria. The thumbnail shows the building burning, but isn't a very captivating picture (my apologies for being crude about such a horrific event, but it serves as a good example for this review). Together the thumbnail and title simply depict an event that transpired, leaving little to the imagination or captivating passerby's. If you are hoping to target people searching for 'Accountant General of Nigeria's Office' then you did good to include that as the beginning of your title (The beginning of your title serves as a 'master keyword' of sorts). But I wonder how many people are searching for that. Personally, if I was searching for this I would probably type in something like 'Office explosion in Nigeria.' And if a more dynamic photo was not available I would A) Consider using some text to pull in viewers in the thumbnail and 2) run that picture through some filters... in particular the 'drama' filter on Snapseed with a slight vignette and some color grading.

Synopsis
You have done very well on your channel and you have several videos that appeared to have performed very well. Don't change what you are doing there. Rather, you should make your focus trying to improve the more poor-performing videos. That big, bright thumb of Bishop Gerald Glenn appears to have worked well for you, and although the imagery could stand some improvement in the 'Nigerian ambassador in China confront; video I do like that style and it also appeared to have performed well for you. Take a look at what has worked, and take a look at what has not. If you do less of what did not work, more of what did work and make some minor updates to your thumbnails, titles and channel banner you will have made a VAST improvement to the overall quality and professionalism of your channel.

Reactions: Dennyps
OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
For starters I have looked over @Dennyps review and I totally agree with everything he is saying. The things that really stand out to me about your channel:

The Banner
It's a very pretty picture, but it does absolutely nothing for your channel. You need to utilize that space to inform incoming viewers about what it is that you are providing for them. The easiest advice on that is to have your channel name and your 'value proposition,' which is a single sentence that tells the visitor what you do and why you are their valuable resource for that.

Thumbnails
You thumbnails are not 'bad,' (saying they are 'good' or 'bad' is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion). You can tell that you are putting in work on your thumbnails, but I would venture to say that I don't think they are performing for you. Do you watch your CTR (Click Through Rate) on your videos? This will tell you how effective they are. On average thumbnails typically fall around the 3%-4% range. If you aren't at least hitting those numbers you need to completely overhaul your thumbnail design. If you are hitting those numbers you need to try and improve it; the best channels aim for +10% or higher. If/When you can get a CTR like that you will see a VAST improvement on the performance of your videos.

Titles
These are tricky, and to my knowledge there isn't a single rule of thumb or thing I can point out that will make as drastic an impact on titles as my above advice on thumbs. But I can say that your titles have the 'right idea' but fail in what you are trying to accomplish.
For example, your most recent video about Bishop Gerald Glenn:
The title is very long and cuts off like this -
'Bishop Gerald Glenn(Virgina Pastor) who defiantly held...'
Now in this circumstance I believe that the title getting cut off may have actually helped you. It left an open-ended question that the viewer wants to see the answer to (What did he hold so defiantely?). And if you are aiming for people who are searching for the name 'Bishop Gerald Glenn' then you did the right thing by having his name in the beginning of the title. But let's look at an example where these exact same approaches failed.
In your video about the Accountant General's Office in Nigeria, the title reads:
'Accountant General of Nigeria's office in Abuja...'
In this circumstance there is no question that the viewer wants answered. It is simply a generic listing of an office in Nigeria. The thumbnail shows the building burning, but isn't a very captivating picture (my apologies for being crude about such a horrific event, but it serves as a good example for this review). Together the thumbnail and title simply depict an event that transpired, leaving little to the imagination or captivating passerby's. If you are hoping to target people searching for 'Accountant General of Nigeria's Office' then you did good to include that as the beginning of your title (The beginning of your title serves as a 'master keyword' of sorts). But I wonder how many people are searching for that. Personally, if I was searching for this I would probably type in something like 'Office explosion in Nigeria.' And if a more dynamic photo was not available I would A) Consider using some text to pull in viewers in the thumbnail and 2) run that picture through some filters... in particular the 'drama' filter on Snapseed with a slight vignette and some color grading.

Synopsis
You have done very well on your channel and you have several videos that appeared to have performed very well. Don't change what you are doing there. Rather, you should make your focus trying to improve the more poor-performing videos. That big, bright thumb of Bishop Gerald Glenn appears to have worked well for you, and although the imagery could stand some improvement in the 'Nigerian ambassador in China confront; video I do like that style and it also appeared to have performed well for you. Take a look at what has worked, and take a look at what has not. If you do less of what did not work, more of what did work and make some minor updates to your thumbnails, titles and channel banner you will have made a VAST improvement to the overall quality and professionalism of your channel.

Thank you so much Stanley.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Life Issues
6.5k subs
* channel banner: although colorful, it dosen't immediately tell me what your channel is all about
* newest video, Regina cries as mum did this:
Your title is compelling if you know Regina but how many know "Regina" consider revising.
* I liked the big white lines in the shape of a cross, it's a anchor to a large audience it also separates the pics but the pic on the right doesn't grab me, the pic on the left does.
* All in all your thumbnail & title don't make me want to click and watch your content.
* On all video's I would clearly state the intention or benefit to your target audience wanting to watch the entire video in the 1st 10 to 15 seconds.
* I found understanding mum was difficult, i would consider adding closed captions to aid your audience in understanding your heavily accented talent.
* Hope this helps and good luck to you.
Thanks you

OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
I would like to touch upon a few things that were mentioned already to hopefully emphasise the importance of those:

- Thumbnails: While they tell a short story of what the video will be all about, they do seem to lack some essential information. Might be worth adding text to all your thumbnails to act as another title of sorts and to encourage consistency across your whole channel
Another note on the thumbnails is to bare in mind that majority of views will be coming from a mobile platform, so the thumbnail needs to be clear enough to make out what the images are, even when on a small screen like a phone or tablet.

- Banner: While the picture is quite nice, you can maybe just add some text onto the channel to inform your viewers about your channel as well as the dates and times you might be posting your content.

- Titles (SEO): Your titles are too long and don't really encourage me to click the video. Don't make it click-bait, but do leave some suspense in the title or maybe ask a question that you answer in the video. Shorten your titles and make sure they inform us what the video is about, but don't tell the whole story.

All in all your channel is really nice, and the content is consistent and clear. Congratulations on racking up a really nice number of followers already.
Good luck with the channel and the videos you are posting. :)
Thank you so much

Reactions: automata

belleh

Subscriber Goal
Firstly, congratulations on gaining 6.5k followers. ThatΓÇÖs really impressive.
IΓÇÖd say the major problem with your channel is your thumbnail. Your thumbnails are not really captivating and they donΓÇÖt really give insight to what the video is about. Lastly, your titles seem kind of descriptive and look a bit crowded. So I might suggest, making your titles concise.
Fighting!!

OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Firstly, congratulations on gaining 6.5k followers. ThatΓÇÖs really impressive.
IΓÇÖd say the major problem with your channel is your thumbnail. Your thumbnails are not really captivating and they donΓÇÖt really give insight to what the video is about. Lastly, your titles seem kind of descriptive and look a bit crowded. So I might suggest, making your titles concise.
Fighting!!
Thank you a lot. Putting all these advice on board.