• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion When you want to leave a comment, but you don't because you're worried of how it will look.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Ok, so this is a "strange" one. Have you ever wanted to leave a comment on someone else's video, but didn't out of fear of being judged by other people. For example, I'm a fan of kpop and dance... but a guy who draws... commenting on kpop dance moves... I dunno, I kinda think that's a bit "odd" so I usually don't. Have you ever run across similar situations? Maybe you saw a political video and you wanted to weigh in with your thoughts, but then decided not to, just incase it made your "Brand" look bad or didn't want to bring unwanted attention to your channel?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man more people need to consider this. I could write an entire essay on the drafting/constructing of good comments... to be honest while typing this I think I am going to do just that. Long story short I always review what I am writing in a comment; I figure if they aren't relevant and easily understood I am doing a disservice to whomever is reading it.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't ever comment on anything politically in public.

However, I've been making the effort to comment more often because I don't want to be a part of the silent group. Despite me being an anime/yuri channel, I don't watch a lot of videos within my niche haha

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Ikerot I do the same... watch a lot of stuff that's outside my niche. But I do still like to leave good comments. Have come across some weird and valuable conversations with people that I am honored to have talked to as a result. No, that doesn't help grow a channel... but there is valuable insight to be gained from people who have been doing it longer/better than I.

And yeah, I specifically avoid anything political and 99% of the time I avoid religion and other hot-button topics as well.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
@Ikerot I do the same... watch a lot of stuff that's outside my niche. But I do still like to leave good comments. Have come across some weird and valuable conversations with people that I am honored to have talked to as a result. No, that doesn't help grow a channel... but there is valuable insight to be gained from people who have been doing it longer/better than I.

And yeah, I specifically avoid anything political and 99% of the time I avoid religion and other hot-button topics as well.
Yes, good comments. I don't like it when people leave me a "good job" or "great video" because it doesn't really tell me anything xD
(That and sometimes I'll get comments like that from being on the TB stream as a mod, so I'm cautious about who's actually here for my video and who's here for a good ol' sub4sub *coughs*)

So I always try to be descriptive and I always bring something from the video into the comment.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Ikerot exactly! 'good job' and 'great video' comments are nice fluff for your comments section but provide nothing and are otherwise just wasted time on the part of the writer. it's fine to get those comments... just maybe don't be the person leaving them.

Reactions: Damon

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Ok, so this is a "strange" one. Have you ever wanted to leave a comment on someone else's video, but didn't out of fear of being judged by other people. For example, I'm a fan of kpop and dance... but a guy who draws... commenting on kpop dance moves... I dunno, I kinda think that's a bit "odd" so I usually don't. Have you ever run across similar situations? Maybe you saw a political video and you wanted to weigh in with your thoughts, but then decided not to, just incase it made your "Brand" look bad or didn't want to bring unwanted attention to your channel?

I guess I can relate. I work here for TB so people sometimes see anything I say as a reflection of that fact. However, I just don't write anything bad. If I like what I like, that's who I am, and I'm not going to hide who I am.

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I guess I can relate. I work here for TB so people sometimes see anything I say as a reflection of that fact. However, I just don't write anything bad. If I like what I like, that's who I am, and I'm not going to hide who I am.
Same. I also see what I write as a potential to reflect on the communities I'm in, in various situations, but I've never been one to get too controversial. I have however, had to write, then never publish MANY tweets :joy: some things you just have to bite your tongue. I can be baited into heavy debates sometimes, and while I love a good debate, it doesn't reflect well on my art and drawing, so I pick and choose my battles.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't watch many videos in my niche either, but I do comment on video that inspire me. I don't like to talk politics either, but I will comment about my faith on my channel. Most of the time my comments are questions. For instance I just bought a modular synthesizer to start writing my own music for my fishing videos. I've watch ton of modular synth videos asking questions and such. So my comment are often a question relating to what I'm trying to learn.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't watch many videos in my niche either, but I do comment on video that inspire me. I don't like to talk politics either, but I will comment about my faith on my channel. Most of the time my comments are questions. For instance I just bought a modular synthesizer to start writing my own music for my fishing videos. I've watch ton of modular synth videos asking questions and such. So my comment are often a question relating to what I'm trying to learn.
It's interesting that you mention your faith, because that's another big part of my thought process. I know pretty much every content creator talks about their faith (power to them)
What I sometimes find challenging is my LACK of faith. I have no issues with people's personal faiths and such... but because I DON'T have any faith, and sometimes I can be a bit (internally) vocal about my displeasure of how some treat and use faith... I do often find myself biting my tongue because I don't want to offend others.

I don't mind talking about it here too much because it's not on my channel, but I find the idea of actively avoiding discussions about faith, and my discomfort around conversations about faith can ostracise my from people that I admire that I know have a strong religious belief. That's why I tend to stay quite.

That said, I'm also teetering on using my platform as a voice. Not in a preachy way (lol, that sounds ironic coming from me, but i think people will know what I mean) I don't want to tell people how to live their lives or what to think and feel, and i don't want to make people uncomfortable with my views... but I also have strong views when it comes to support for groups that historically have been really hurt by religion in the past. It's always a difficult one for me..

Also when I get "god bless" and "thoughts and prayers" comments on my channel, I do appreciate the kindness behind it, but it also makes me feel a bit awkward as well. Kind of like if one religious person KNOWS another differant religion doesn't practice the same traditions, and still goes out of their way to wish them a religiously specific thing, making things awkward.
Was especially uncomfortable after my mother passed and I got all the prayer wishes... I mean, I appreciate the love... but in my heart it really stung. Lol probably going into too much detail there, but that gives extra insight into what I mean about comments, and trying to be careful about what I do and don't say in order to "not offend" people, incase I look "bad" or I make my "brand" look "bad"

Alway an interesting topic of discussion regardless :)

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I really don't worry too much about what other people think of me. I mean, I like to be liked (don't most people?) but I seriously do not lose sleep over what others might think. Maybe because I am older, and have nothing to prove to anyone, have no patience with idiots. But I am trying to be a grumpy old man ha ha

I am a disabled vet, was a single dad for 16 years, and was able to quit work at 48 and move to South East Asia. I am living the dream, what a random person on the interwebs thinks of me... not my problem.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

White Bread

TubeBuddy Pro
Ok, so this is a "strange" one. Have you ever wanted to leave a comment on someone else's video, but didn't out of fear of being judged by other people. For example, I'm a fan of kpop and dance... but a guy who draws... commenting on kpop dance moves... I dunno, I kinda think that's a bit "odd" so I usually don't. Have you ever run across similar situations? Maybe you saw a political video and you wanted to weigh in with your thoughts, but then decided not to, just in case it made your "Brand" look bad or didn't want to bring unwanted attention to your channel?

It happens to us very often. Our channel is music related, however, when we passively "consume" YouTube, often times it is completely unrelated to music channels and topics. And, yes, the temptation to leave a comment is often times overwhelming. (However, I try not to write comments that would give others the reason to judge me).

I took it as a rule of thumb to not ever write anything trolly or outright destructive (plenty of that on the web). If I am going to say something (and sometimes it is somewhat related to politics) I will draw the words out of my personal experience, instead of just leaving unproductive worthless dross. If I really appreciate someone's effort in creating whatever content on Youtube, I want to let them know that their work is appreciated, and will write a more in detail comment than your regular "nice work", like you guys mentioned in your posts. However, sometimes people get their information wrong on Youtube and give "wrong" advice that, seems to me, is misleading to the viewers..music channels, for instance, sometimes give terrible advice to novice musicians and I will try to write an in depth non-negative, but a logical comment showing the other side of what the person is saying and providing necessary evidence of why things are not quite the way they are portrayed in the video.

In my short life, I noticed one constant pattern in human behavior: the negative/destructive way of thinking always makes itself known , while the positive/constructive way of thinking is often times muted. It seems out of balance. Whenever I see a negative deed/word/intent, I always try to balance it out by the positive..I do not presume "I am holier than thou", I make a ton of mistakes, but choose not to be silent in the presence of evident evil/destruction or misinformation if it is appropriate (like you guys said, you want to choose your battles)... sounds a little preachy, haha xD

In a nutshell, the world will benefit from nicer, constructive comments, and if you feel you need to say it and really mean it, and will not hurt anyone by saying it, why not say it? :)