• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Work In Progress Re-Doing 2015 Thumbnails

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
First of all this is by no means finished :p this re-working is also being edited so I can sell them as prints (and hope that Universal Studios don't try to sue me for drawing a cartoon blue and a cartoon Indominus rex as prints)

These thumbs were done in 2015 a few months into my channel, long before discovering tubebuddy and all the youtube help. My design work has always been "Weak" in my opinion. I think I'm good at reviewing other people's designs, but when it comes to my own designs... I'm my own client, and "you are your worst client"

So my thumbnails were a bit of a text heavy mess, especially the thumbnail to the top right. The top left isn't HORRIBLE, but I think I can optimise it a lot better these days.

trex vs irex cute 2020.jpg

So I'm currently working on isolating each dinosaur (thus the red outlines, still a work in progress)

My idea, is to isolate each dinosaur, thus relying on visually seperating the focus of each video without the need for text. I'm still debating about weather to put a "part 2" or whatever, to indicate it's a series

Screenshot (3539).png

There's quite a few videos in the series, so I think it's important to visually seperate them, but still show that they're in a connected series visually as well

Do you think me seperating the focus of each video's dinosaur with a red outline would work a lot better than what I currently have going? It turns out having more than one dinosaur in a thumbnail is a real challenge to present fully, but to have contrast and detail working as well.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
First of all this is by no means finished :p this re-working is also being edited so I can sell them as prints (and hope that Universal Studios don't try to sue me for drawing a cartoon blue and a cartoon Indominus rex as prints)

These thumbs were done in 2015 a few months into my channel, long before discovering tubebuddy and all the youtube help. My design work has always been "Weak" in my opinion. I think I'm good at reviewing other people's designs, but when it comes to my own designs... I'm my own client, and "you are your worst client"

So my thumbnails were a bit of a text heavy mess, especially the thumbnail to the top right. The top left isn't HORRIBLE, but I think I can optimise it a lot better these days.

View attachment 4669

So I'm currently working on isolating each dinosaur (thus the red outlines, still a work in progress)

My idea, is to isolate each dinosaur, thus relying on visually seperating the focus of each video without the need for text. I'm still debating about weather to put a "part 2" or whatever, to indicate it's a series

View attachment 4670

There's quite a few videos in the series, so I think it's important to visually seperate them, but still show that they're in a connected series visually as well

Do you think me seperating the focus of each video's dinosaur with a red outline would work a lot better than what I currently have going? It turns out having more than one dinosaur in a thumbnail is a real challenge to present fully, but to have contrast and detail working as well.

I think this makes a lot of sense! Is this in a playlist too? You could easily make the first one a playlist thumb and go from there :D

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I was advised to progressively go back and update my worst performing thumbnails... I haven't seen a lot of improvement but it absolutely did not hurt anything. And it did a lot to improve the overall presentation of my channel.

One little sidenote I must mention; I like your thumbnails, including the 2015's. But man that new style really pops!

Reactions: PhatBeetz

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Love the new style with the red outlines. Personally, having the "part 1, 2, etc" on each thumbnail would help me navigate the series a little easier.

PhatBeetz

Recognized Member
Subscriber Goal
I think it's a great idea! I love the idea of being able to scroll up and down your thumbnails to see a progression!

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I think this makes a lot of sense! Is this in a playlist too? You could easily make the first one a playlist thumb and go from there :D

It's been in a playlist ever since I knew what playlists on a channel were all about :) still not fully sure what "official playlists" are, but I could probably set them up as that too :)

Love the new style with the red outlines. Personally, having the "part 1, 2, etc" on each thumbnail would help me navigate the series a little easier.

Yeah I was thinking that with the numers as well. I will be experimenting a lot with it :)
I was advised to progressively go back and update my worst performing thumbnails... I haven't seen a lot of improvement but it absolutely did not hurt anything. And it did a lot to improve the overall presentation of my channel.

One little sidenote I must mention; I like your thumbnails, including the 2015's. But man that new style really pops!
Thanks mate :) yeah I'm slowly making my older style more in line with my new style. The old ones that perform well I don't need to touch, mostly just playing with videos that I know have more potential, but their thumbnails were really messy :)

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB