• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Did you do any videos after hitting 100 or 1000 subscribers? How did it go?

Niki Proshin

Known Member
I started my channel about two months, and didn't really think that I'll get any decent number of subscribers, though looks like I am slowly getting to the first hundred.
I am creating travel videos, and think to make a video right about getting 100 subs, sharing my story and getting a bit more personal than I usually do in my videos. Maybe doing a postcards giveaway too. What do you think about such idea? Did you do anything similar?

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I was doing more impersonal travel vids, concentrating on scenery. I did a couple milestone videos (forget which milestones), and got very good response. They were more personal, and I started facing the camera, mostly I always aimed at scenery before that. The response was good enough that now I do quite a lot more personal videos.

I do not see the channel growing any more or less because of it, but I am getting a more solid community of core fans. So, that is something.

On a different note... I really enjoy your editing style and may have to steal... I mean borrow... some of your techniques. Where did you learn to edit? I am self taught, and I think that is obvious ha ha

OP
OP
Niki Proshin

Niki Proshin

Known Member
I was doing more impersonal travel vids, concentrating on scenery. I did a couple milestone videos (forget which milestones), and got very good response. They were more personal, and I started facing the camera, mostly I always aimed at scenery before that. The response was good enough that now I do quite a lot more personal videos.

I do not see the channel growing any more or less because of it, but I am getting a more solid community of core fans. So, that is something.

On a different note... I really enjoy your editing style and may have to steal... I mean borrow... some of your techniques. Where did you learn to edit? I am self taught, and I think that is obvious ha ha

Thank you for sharing your experience, it proved some of my thoughts. I was thinking that a bit more personal milestone video wouldn't bring more views or new subscribers, but will engage the current ones more. That's what I want to do, make a connection with my audience.

As for the editing techniques - steal, steal it all ;)
I haven't learned anything about that before starting the channel, but I personally enjoy the process of editing, and watch a lot of tutorials about that on Youtube. I use DaVinci Resolve (free version) to edit videos and there are plenty of 5-10 minute tutorials on tiny topics.And try some new and simple techniques for every new video I create.

I think your videos have something more important than just editing style - it has your own personality and the story behind your videos. That's what I want to learn!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I started my channel about two months, and didn't really think that I'll get any decent number of subscribers, though looks like I am slowly getting to the first hundred.
I am creating travel videos, and think to make a video right about getting 100 subs, sharing my story and getting a bit more personal than I usually do in my videos. Maybe doing a postcards giveaway too. What do you think about such idea? Did you do anything similar?

We did a 100K video at tubebuddy and it did REALLY well :D However, we gave tips from our experts and a huge giveaway. IF you're celebrating your own success, you need to focus JUST as much if not more on the community that built you. That's KEY! :D

OP
OP
Niki Proshin

Niki Proshin

Known Member
We did a 100K video at tubebuddy and it did REALLY well :D However, we gave tips from our experts and a huge giveaway. IF you're celebrating your own success, you need to focus JUST as much if not more on the community that built you. That's KEY! :D

Thank you, Andrew! Useful opinion for me!

OP
OP
Niki Proshin

Niki Proshin

Known Member
Na, I didn't. I just kept cranking out more videos. In fact it was my audience that told me I was nearing 1,000 subscribers.

Yeah, I found it's a bit addictive and VERY distracting to stare at the numbers. Though I keep doing it anyway..

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've done a video for my 100, 666 (lol) 1000, 2000? 5000 (i think?) and stopped after 10,000 I think.
up until 2-5k the videos were basically self indulgent videos that everyone does when they're super hyped to get that number.

"luckily" for me, 1000 wasn't a requirement for anything back then, so I didn't "need" to hit 1k, all it was, was a number, and a fun number to hit. Gave me an excuse to make a celebration artwork, but other than that it was all self indulgent and otherwise meaningless. the 666 was fun lol, I just wanted to hype up that number because I'm still into metal music so I found some humor in the number :p

I think at 10,000 I changed tone. Instead of thanking people (which let's face it, no one other than your core fans care about) I focused more on sharing art submitted to me by my fans.

Those videos were time consuming to produce, but I think it was more rewarding because it celebrated the impact I made through seeing everyone else's art based on my drawings. Way more impactful with a milder level of ego and self indulgence. It more celebrated the community.

I think from here on I might use milestones as an "excuse" to give more shoutouts. And when I say shoutouts, I mean giving some promotion to a smaller art channel that doesn't ask, and I just notice them and feel they need more exposure.

At the end of the day, if the celebration serves to help others as well, then go for it. If it's self indulgent thank you's, you can do one for 100 subs and 1,000 subs but otherwise I wouldn't expect much from them. But just because they might not perform doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T make videos on those milestones :)

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
I have, I've done thank you videos, some live videos too once I reached a certain subscriber milestone. I'm thinking once I hit 10,000 I might go all out. Probably several celebration videos, a live, maybe even a giveaway. That's going to be a pretty big milestone for me. When I hit 200 even I did a video.

Reactions: Niki Proshin

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I did a video for 400 (if I remember correctly) which was my swear jar video and now I've just done that as a yearly tradition lol. Then I did a livestream for 1k and I thought that went a-okay. Other than that, I haven't done anything else lol.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I think it is good to do a little video about some of the bigger milestones... not EVERY milestone but the big ones (like 100 subscribers, 1000 etc) are worth celebrating. These videos will stand as a reminder to yourself how you felt at that moment. It's always good to look back on them and see your growth, and your audience can enjoy that too.