• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Research So when does needing to improve a video become procrastination?

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So I'm working on my next World of Warcraft classic video. I was coming to import the data then realised that the MP4 had been wiped/misplaced during transfer to my external drive. So I recorded the footage again. However the more that I put the video together, the more that I want to add to it. With more edits here and there. Cutting things out, adding them back in, etc, etc. I'm now at two weeks and the video is not completed. I was hoping to do one video per week for Warcraft then another War Thunder every day or two.

So my question is, when does it stop being an update and become procrastination. I'm not looking at the ultimate perfection however, I do want this video to be well made.

Dvyne

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Don't over edit a video if you're a small channel(speaking from experience), you'll end up sculpting this grand piece of art that few or no one is going to see and then you'll get dejected and just want to give up on the video making process. When I was making gaming content my most overly edited video (that I spent 2 months crafting) still to this day is the least popular video on that channel with the least views. The one I spent 20 mins in game recording and 5 mins editing has blasted it out of the water. I haven't gone back to that channel since. Just focus on being consistent and releasing videos at a decent pace and your audience will grow with you. Then you can go with the over the top editing maybe you could even pay an editor at that point that can crank out the content faster.

Reactions: Dradus
OP
OP
Dradus

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
All fair points. Its the balance between editing too much and putting out something that is at least decent.

OP
OP
Dradus

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
And I finally finished it. Added to promote yourself. Not 100% happy with everything but I know what I can improve :)

Reactions: Dvyne

White Bread

TubeBuddy Pro
I would argue that i becomes procrastination when it misses a deadline. If you vow never to breech a deadline, then you will never procrastinate. Pick a reasonable deadline. If you want to do once a week, then make sure you release every Sunday (for example, could be any day) without fail. If you've dillydallied too much throughout the week and missed the deadline, then you've procrastinated and "being a perfectionist" is not an excuse (not that you said that, but many do). Eventually, you will learn how to be more decisive and discerning, so that you can make snap decisions and know it will be great, and you will release more frequently, which will grow your channel more quickly.

SimulatorMike

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I heard one time, consider your first 100 videos garbage trash and a learning experience. Just put them out and by the time you get to video 100 you will have honed your craft enough to start making quality videos with quality editing. Everyone started somewhere and their first videos were not that WOW factor.

OP
OP
Dradus

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks all for your insight. It looks like I will be working from home (and self-isolation) for the next few months ( 2 - 4) as I got the option. So I will be focusing on putting a video out each day or 1.5 days depending. Setup encoding and uploading videos while I work and create a new video once I finish. I know this will take a lot of discipline however, I want to use this time to be effective whilst working and level up my Youtube channel.

Reactions: White Bread

Lester West

TubeBuddy Legend
Subscriber Goal
As a young channel myself, I find putting out a video a week quite challenging (I also have a main job too) anyways but I've been commissioned to do a digital art wildlife painting and recording it as I go. I've noticed I'm procrastinating more so than I had before. I think my problem is trying to do a good job for the customer and trying to get my next video out at a decent time. Very challenging! I might be ranting a little but I feel my problem is a bit like yours. Good luck!