• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Thumbnail feedback

Shimon

TubeBuddy User
instagram.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi guys,

Would love if I could get some feedback on a thumbnail that IΓÇÖm going to use for my next video!

A961ADCC-8680-45CB-AB29-A63C3F2EF114.png

Thanks,

Shimon

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Once its shrunken down a few sizes to show in everyone's feed, the title may be a little hard to read or may not popout enough?
Maybe add a background shadow to the text and enlarge it a little..

Reactions: Ikerot

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
A couple things to look at with this:
For starters, you are a handsome dude. But you are leaning very heavily into this aspect of the thumbnail in order to get clicks. There is nothing else in the thumb that says 'Barcelona' or 'Spain.' Granted, this is a vlog and it does follow the spirit of that... but I would think that there is a larger audience interested in Barcelona and Spain than the audience that is searching for you or any other really handsome dude in Spain.

Take a look at the search competition for the keyword 'Barcelona Vlog.' Simply put; is your thumbnail better, is it more appealing to someone who sees it next to these? Personally I think that it would behoove you to go with something far more bright and colorful, something with a lot of local flavor and eye-catching imagery. All thumbs on this search query are slightly muted and it wouldn't be hard to make yours stand out against them... but I don't think this is the photo that accomplishes that.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Once its shrunken down a few sizes to show in everyone's feed, the title may be a little hard to read or may not popout enough?
Maybe add a background shadow to the text and enlarge it a little..
I agree, especially when the text is full-on white w/o any shadows or outline. I shrunk it to a relatively small size and it was difficult to read the text.

There is nothing else in the thumb that says 'Barcelona' or 'Spain.'
I agree.

In the thumbnail, you're the main focus, but the video is about (I'm assuming :p) Barcelona. I took a look at the other thumbnails about Barcelona and... they're pretty similar, but they don't tell me anything about the vlog. Did you visit any place significant in the vlog? Or any other place that you feel is an eye-catcher?

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Shimon

Shimon

TubeBuddy User
instagram.com
Subscriber Goal
You guys made some really good points! Yeah, the focal point should definitely be on Barcelona not myself haha ‍♂️...I guess I thought I’d use it because I didn’t get any good enough shots of La Pedrera (where I mainly visited) that day.

Definitely agree that, despite other vlog thumbnails being similar - I should try to get a picture of actual main point of the video.

IΓÇÖve just finally got myself a drone, so hoping IΓÇÖm gonna be able to get some much more thumbnail worthy pictures! Thank you so much for the feedback guys

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man that is really awesome, good luck with the drone! FYI I know it feels like cheating but if you ever miss that key picture for a thumbnail you can always do a search for what you are looking for on shutterstock or other pages for free stock images. Many times others will have a picture you can use and you can get them royalty free. I don't make a habit out of this, but it has saved me several times when the thumbnail just didn't happen.

• Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Man that is really awesome, good luck with the drone! FYI I know it feels like cheating but if you ever miss that key picture for a thumbnail you can always do a search for what you are looking for on shutterstock or other pages for free stock images. Many times others will have a picture you can use and you can get them royalty free. I don't make a habit out of this, but it has saved me several times when the thumbnail just didn't happen.

There is no shame in this, just make sure you look at each sites required attributes! :D

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
You guys made some really good points! Yeah, the focal point should definitely be on Barcelona not myself haha ΓÇìΓÖé...I guess I thought IΓÇÖd use it because I didnΓÇÖt get any good enough shots of La Pedrera (where I mainly visited) that day.

Definitely agree that, despite other vlog thumbnails being similar - I should try to get a picture of actual main point of the video.

IΓÇÖve just finally got myself a drone, so hoping IΓÇÖm gonna be able to get some much more thumbnail worthy pictures! Thank you so much for the feedback guys
Yeah. When I look at the thumbnail without reading the words, I think more of a fitness channel or something lol. A picture of Spain would help plus some contrast between text and background.

PartyOf4PR

I was going to say get a picture of La Sagrada Familia but yeah you need a better background picture and ΓÇ£pop-upΓÇ¥ letters

Reactions: Mario So

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
the picture says nothing about what i'll be seeing in the video, so why would I click? You have a great stance, initially I was going to say to overlay the barcelona flag OVER the background, but behind you in a transparency. but you could show the city of barcelona, and a few sights, with you in front, and a flag overlay as well. But a bit more interesting than a muscular dude staring off into the distance. The stance is cool, but you gotta make the background... as the californians say "hella exciting"

Reactions: Mario So