• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What is the ideal talking speed?

Paul Hill

TubeBuddy Pro
paulhill.biz
Subscriber Goal
I promoted my recent video upload on Facebook and one comment was "Great lesson. A little kinda rushed but great". I took this as a good comment and valuable feedback, although it got me thinking. What is the ideal rate of delivery when talking?

Personally, I enjoy videos that have a fast rate of delivery as I can always pause or go back to sections if I need more time to digest specific ideas. I am still trying to become comfortable when talking to a camera (will this ever feel natural?).

I thought I would post on here to see what other creators think about this particular area of video creation.

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
One thing I've talked about with podcasts is setting tempo. Using a metronome can help get a pace going. Rushing can make some "UM" more. If you can talk fast without too many pauses or stutters, then do it. You'll definitely get followers that like it.

Reactions: Paul Hill

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
This is something I struggle with as well. I find that the faster I talk, the more mistakes I make. I have been trying to slow down just a tad and it makes a big difference for me.

OP
OP
Paul Hill

Paul Hill

TubeBuddy Pro
paulhill.biz
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the comments. I seem to be on top of the "UM" problem, so that's one thing off the checklist.

When it comes to recording videos, I have experimented with an autocue app on my phone just above the camera, memorising large sections of text and bullet points. I still haven't found a perfect solution, but bullet points and recording shorter sections seems to be the best technique for me at the moment. As with speed of talking, all these areas should improve over time.

I did also try to analyse myself by swapping between one of my videos, videos by other YouTubers and TV presenters who use an autocue. I even used Ant and Dec as an example and it was very interesting to study all of the various presenting styles.

Reactions: Mario So

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the comments. I seem to be on top of the "UM" problem, so that's one thing off the checklist.

When it comes to recording videos, I have experimented with an autocue app on my phone just above the camera, memorising large sections of text and bullet points. I still haven't found a perfect solution, but bullet points and recording shorter sections seems to be the best technique for me at the moment. As with speed of talking, all these areas should improve over time.

I did also try to analyse myself by swapping between one of my videos, videos by other YouTubers and TV presenters who use an autocue. I even used Ant and Dec as an example and it was very interesting to study all of the various presenting styles.

I've been told I speak to fast before, but what I do is remind people of the video control speed. I care more about how the delivery feels, and sometimes speed can change to help that, bot slower and faster. I'd say be cautious to it, but don't kill yourself over it :D

Lee DG

Subscriber Goal
My talking isnΓÇÖt always great, I tend to do shorter recordings, then compose myself and start again, i find it hard to keep a rhythm going, I hope it gets easier over time as well

OP
OP
Paul Hill

Paul Hill

TubeBuddy Pro
paulhill.biz
Subscriber Goal
Thanks everyone. With experience, I expect rate of talking will be all part of the creator's style. I'm sure everything will get easier with time.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Hm... I've never had anyone tell me about my pacing, but I do know I tend to say "ums" and stutter a lot when I speak faster. I also can't help but to speak fast when I get excited about a topic XD

Another thing to do is a dry run. Running one - even if not in front of camera - helps you organize your brain for when you are on.
I've been doing this a lot more (and also writing topic notes) so I don't get lost mid-ramble

A lot better than trying to wing it, which seems to be me most of the time o_O :laughing:
I feel you on that! Haha

Last edited:

Lee DG

Subscriber Goal
Hm... I've never had anyone tell me about my pacing, but I do know I tend to say "ums" and stutter a lot when I speak faster. I also can't help but to speak fast when I get excited about a topic XD

I've been doing this a lot more (and also writing topic notes) so I don't get lost in mid-ramble

I feel you on that! Haha
Mid ramble :laughing:, me to a tee lol, yeah I do need to be more prepared

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
The pace of your video and pace of your speech are separate things. I speak slowly, but I don't have to speak quickly to increase pace of the video. Again they do this in TV and in the movies all the time. Notice how in action movies they slow the pace by dialog and lots of talk. The fast portion of the film no one is talking. They're either fighting, running, car chasing. If there is speech, it's just one liners.

Again you can do this as a YouTuber. Talking fast doesn't necessarily increase the pace of the forward cadence of the motion picture itself.

You can talk at the same pace, yet with two or three cameras simply change the pace at which you cut between shots. Yet you can talk faster and stay on the same shot for ever and actually slow the film down even though you're talking faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul Hill

Paul Hill

TubeBuddy Pro
paulhill.biz
Subscriber Goal
Another thing to do is a dry run. Running one - even if not in front of camera - helps you organize your brain for when you are on.
I do tend to practise what I am about to say. I also often record many takes with the camera rolling to not distract me, then pick the best one. The downside to this is that it makes editing a more lengthy process.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I do tend to practise what I am about to say. I also often record many takes with the camera rolling to not distract me, then pick the best one. The downside to this is that it makes editing a more lengthy process.

While true, if the performance is better, people will care more about that then how long it took! Trust me I know for a 5 minute video I have 50+ minutes of footage hahahah ..... :( One thing I started doing is clapping after a take I liked, and I jump to that point, so that I can easily see if I was right at the time, or pick another. This has saved me a TON of time :D

OP
OP
Paul Hill

Paul Hill

TubeBuddy Pro
paulhill.biz
Subscriber Goal
While true, if the performance is better, people will care more about that then how long it took! Trust me I know for a 5 minute video I have 50+ minutes of footage hahahah ..... :( One thing I started doing is clapping after a take I liked, and I jump to that point, so that I can easily see if I was right at the time, or pick another. This has saved me a TON of time :D
I also clap my hands after a good take so that I can easily sync up the separately recorded audio when editing. After having a bit of trouble finding the relevant audio clips in one of my latest videos (I hadn't realised the camera had split the video clips), I decided that in future, I would clap my hands to see audio spikes and also say a number. That way, I can easily find the clip and know exactly which one it is with the number labelling.