• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback New Style for a New Year

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Im making some changes to my thumbnail branding this year and I would appreciate and enjoy any and all critical feedback that I can get!

I'll be starting a new playlist of videos for this year starting in April so I have time to make adjustments. PicsArt_02-18-11.41.10.jpg

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Im making some changes to my thumbnail branding this year and I would appreciate and enjoy any and all critical feedback that I can get!

I'll be starting a new playlist of videos for this year starting in April so I have time to make adjustments.View attachment 4528

I guess It's not bad, but I have no idea what the video is about. Slammed I see, but about what? If I don't know your channel, what would compel me to click? From a design standpoint it's awesome, but from a thumbnail click worthy standpoint.... a bit lost :X

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Exactly the sort of insight I was looking for sir, thank you! The video will be focused around (and titled) about the "Texas Slam," which is when you catch three specific species in one day. I left this intentionally cryptic on the thumb in an attempt to make it more intriguing... confusing wasn't exactly the direction I wanted to go lol. Thank you for your time sir, very much appreciate you @Andrew

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I think it's visually brilliant, but with so much going on in the right, the negetive space to the left makes it all some off balance and leaning to the right a bit :p

On first impression I have no what the video is about, but that does make it more intriguing because of the way it's presented.

I can tell it's obviously about fishing, but does ΓÇ£slammedΓÇ¥ have something to do with coronavirus? Does it have something to do with isolation? Does it mean you're really busy with fishing?

So I'd fix up the balance a bit and I think this is a really great thumbnail.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
I guess It's not bad, but I have no idea what the video is about. Slammed I see, but about what? If I don't know your channel, what would compel me to click? From a design standpoint it's awesome, but from a thumbnail click worthy standpoint.... a bit lost :X

I agree with @Andrew . Plus, it's not showing any action. I think your previous thumbs are interactive and clickable.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Hey thank you @Beanie Draws very insightful. The 'Texas Slam' is when you catch three specific species of fish down here... I am attempting to be vague in the thumb in an effort to create intrigue, for obvious reasons that can very easily work against me. The actual title is going to be something to the effect of 'Can We Catch a Texas Slam?' to try and clarify.

@Jeffrey Powers thank you sir, I appreciate the sentiment regarding prior thumbs. This seems to be the consensus... simply need to use a more actionable photo. Can't say I disagree.

Guys thank you for your input, I very much appreciate everybody's thoughts on this!

• Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Maybe create a new layer of just you (no bg) and add a bit of glow or shadow (or outline)? It'll help you stand out in the image. Just a suggestion :thinking:

Honestly, I thought it's a short film judging from the thumbnail xP But I would still have little knowledge of the plot other than maybe it's about fishing?

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Ikerot oooh… I know exactly what you are talking about with the 'glow' effect and pulling myself out of the background a little better. I am really trying to avoid that, a LOT of other fishing YouTubers utilize that and for better or for worse I am trying to separate myself from the pack. Totally the right idea and I completely agree with your reasoning, it's just one of those things that I am consciously trying to avoid.

I really appreciate the insight though, and I want to say that I really appreciate the 'short film' comment... I am trying to tap into a little more 'short film' style of video for the upcoming season. Very nice to know that this comes across a bit in the thumbnail.

Reactions: Ikerot

BillyBoy

TubeBuddy Pro
Personally i watch most youtube videos on my phone. I dont know if i could read the "Slammed" on my phone because it is a bit to transparent. The mirror effect actually makes it kind of worse :D

What i would like to see is a better focus on your fishing rod. Right now i get a travel video feeling (or maybe boat). I guess i could help if you use these white boarders which you see on many thumbnails so you have more focus on your fishing rod > me as a viewer get its a fishing video > more likely to click if im into fishing.