• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips So, should we hide the subscriber count

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When I started my channel in January, I was constantly looking at the sub count. After deliberation, I decided to hide the sub counter and then my most recent video view count jumped to over 500 when my average was around 10. A few more subs have been added since the video upload.

I hid this as I want to focus on video creation and not just the numbers.

Do people agree with hiding the sub counter until the channel grows or is this a no-no?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I disagree with hiding it. I understand and appreciate your reasoning; you need to walk a fine line between knowing your analytics and obsessing over them. But i say show them, there is value in transparency.

OP
OP
Dradus

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for responding. Yes, I think it's natural to look at counts and numbers initially.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Usually, I would disagree with hiding this because I tend to be suspicious of channels that hide their channel. Most of the channels I've seen tend to hide their sub counts because of sub4sub.

However, after attending SMMW and listening to a few of the experts, I do find that the sub count can be counter-intuitive since some viewers might check out your channel to find out that you only have 58 subs (ex.). And depending on the subject you're talking about, they might compare your 58 subs to another channel that has a million. That and there are many people who are so focused on getting subscribers that I feel like they don't really understand how to keep them watching.

So in short, it's a double edged sword either way, BUT as @Stanley Orchard said, there is value in transparency :)

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
This is a very interesting thought. I do think that for smaller channels people tend to look at your sub count before they decide whether they want to watch your videos. I'm at 150 subs and sometimes I feel I want to hide it. But I also get suspicious of channels that hide it. What to do???

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I always aim on showing them. I think that it's important to be transparent, as said above. I think that showing them, shows your audience your growth. Also if a prospecting brand is looking at you, it's good to have it shown!

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Dradus

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yes, I can understand the points around transparency. It is a double-edged sword for sure.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I can see it from a few perspective. 1) hiding subscribers means you're trying to hide your subcount which means you're either embarrassed by it and trying to hide it, or trying the game the system and not have anyone notice it. Which we know isn't the case, but people don't know WHY you have done this, so it's up to them to make their own conclusions weather they're right or wrong.
2) the audience sees the hiding of subscribers as you indeed focusing on the content rather the clout which is admirable I find. I've been tempted to hide my own subscount just to see what happens, but at 25k now, I think I kinda "need" that "flex" element, and my fans would almost expect it because it's nice to see how close our favourite creators are to certain milestones.

Personally i think it's up to you. But do know that if you hide it, people can make up any reason as to why you might be doing it, and they might either support you for it, or it might put them off, and having that subscriber number otherwise would have got them to subscribe.

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I can see it from a few perspective. 1) hiding subscribers means you're trying to hide your subcount which means you're either embarrassed by it and trying to hide it, or trying the game the system and not have anyone notice it. Which we know isn't the case, but people don't know WHY you have done this, so it's up to them to make their own conclusions weather they're right or wrong.
2) the audience sees the hiding of subscribers as you indeed focusing on the content rather the clout which is admirable I find. I've been tempted to hide my own subscount just to see what happens, but at 25k now, I think I kinda "need" that "flex" element, and my fans would almost expect it because it's nice to see how close our favourite creators are to certain milestones.

Personally i think it's up to you. But do know that if you hide it, people can make up any reason as to why you might be doing it, and they might either support you for it, or it might put them off, and having that subscriber number otherwise would have got them to subscribe.
Yeah. After giving it some thought I decided to not hide it. From a viewer's POV, when I stumble upon a channel that hides their sub count I get suspicious and don't feel "trust" in that channel. That's the first impression I get.

Reactions: AurigaDave