• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How to improve my youtube channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWjohn

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I couldn't understand the algorithm concepts. What are the steps to showcase my video in search rankings?

Eleria83

TubeBuddy User
hi, i try to explain that a little bit
  1. search engine optimization (= SEO)
  2. watch time
  3. click through rate (=CTR)

Nr 1: search engine optimization
  • try to use a compelling title which is searchable (think about, what do other people search for)
  • use title and keywords from the title a few times in the description
  • 3 hashtags in the description
  • tags (not only single words, use searchable phrases AND your title too)
  • make subtitles (more readable text for search engine)
  • use youtube's info cards
Nr 2: watch time
  • make the beginning of your video interesting
  • try to keep the viewers attention as long as you can
  • try to get an average watch time of 50% and above on your videos
Nr 3: click through rate
  • make a compelling title
  • make an eye catching thumbnail
  • i heard, a good CTR ist around 10%

how does this work together?

so SEO rank your video in the search results.
to make that ranking better, you have to optimize your video as well.
if you increase your watchtime, youtube thinks "a good content, let's promote it more" --> more impressions.
then try to make better titles and thumbnails. when people like them they will click on the video.
every click on the video increases your click through rate. and if you get more impressions, the chances are high to get also more views on your videos.

BUT if you have bad watch time, youtube will think "mhh good click through rate, but bad watch time ... maybe video is not good" --> less promotion/less impressions --> not so many chances of viewers --> less chances of good ranking in search results.

you see, it's a devil's circle

but hard work, consistency and motivation will help you to get better.
also the topic of the videos are important. i did some videos myself, which have a very good "search volume/competition" rate ^^
so a lot of people are clicking and watching the videos.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
  2. watch time

• try to use a compelling title which is searchable (think about, what do other people search for)

if you increase your watchtime, youtube thinks "a good content, let's promote it more" --> more impressions.
then try to make better titles and thumbnails. when people like them they will click on the video.
every click on the video increases your click through rate. and if you get more impressions, the chances are high to get also more views on your videos.

BUT if you have bad watch time, youtube will think "mhh good click through rate, but bad watch time ... maybe video is not good" --> less promotion/less impressions --> not so many chances of viewers --> less chances of good ranking in search results.

also the topic of the videos are important. i did some videos myself, which have a very good "search volume/competition" rate ^^

I couldn't agree with this more! I'd only change CTR and watch-time. Impossible to get watch time if people never click through.

OP
OP
DWjohn

DWjohn

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Really thank you Eleria83... It's much helpful for me to understand,,, thank you

...also can you tell me, how to get Forum Badge? and how will it be helpful?

Reactions: Eleria83

Shimmy diaz agduyeng

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
How could I improve my channel and videos..im a beginner and i dont yet how to edit properly and improve properly my videos by using smart phone.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
  2. watch time

Well Said! Kudos!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
How could I improve my channel and videos..im a beginner and i dont yet how to edit properly and improve properly my videos by using smart phone.
Whew! Man, that's a slightly different beast. I will try to write a thread in the morning specifically on this.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The only real way is through experience, and you're going to develop experience through time and practice. My first videos weren't that great. You're going to constantly be learning as you go about.

To get ahead of the curve, EDUCATING, study, and APPLICATION.

Learn about best practices, keywords to help show up in results, learn design practices (not all design practices are appropriate for all applications. A beautifully designed image isn't always going to win the shock factor click. you might get a "that's a nice looking thumbnails.... scroll" but you might rather a "OMG what's that about? i need to click and find out!"

I learned this after studying graphic design for 3 years, and then entering a marketing agency for a discount budget store... they didn't care about how nice their catalogues were designed, they cared about HOW BIG THE SAVINGS WERE!!! so I was stuck designing garish pamphlets.... but the company gained a reputation for AMAZING SAVINGS! because of those very designs... so what works for one area, won't always translate for another area. You need to study, reverse engineer and learn from what others in your area are doing.

And of course, you won't learn what works and what doesn't if you don't actually put these lessons into practice. You're going to make bad videos, you're going to make amazing videos, but you won't know what works well and what doesn't work well if you don't make them at all.

We all begin from somewhere :)

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal

Just buy the book, " How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck" by Steve Stockman. Even if you just followed the basic instruction in this videos, your videos will be much better than 80% of what's on YouTube:

View: https://youtu.be/jF0z9k93Y9Q

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
This original post is from March and was hijacked by a recent post so I will be closing this post. Thank you.

Reactions: Damon
Status
Not open for further replies.