• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Should I take down my video if it doesn't get traction right away?

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So recently I uploaded a video that I had been expecting to do a fair bit better than it did, at least in the first couple of hours. Anyway, this hasn't been the case, even though I have followed all the tubebuddy recommendations. But anyway, I'm just wondering whether to take down the video and kind of market it in a different direction, i.e new title,keywords etc. What do you guys usually do in such a situation?

Cheers

Alex

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
So recently I uploaded a video that I had been expecting to do a fair bit better than it did, at least in the first couple of hours. Anyway, this hasn't been the case, even though I have followed all the tubebuddy recommendations. But anyway, I'm just wondering whether to take down the video and kind of market it in a different direction, i.e new title,keywords etc. What do you guys usually do in such a situation?

Cheers

Alex

Why not just re-market it while it's up? That way you don't lose the data you did gather, and you can see if it did any any better :)

OP
OP
Immortal Explorer

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yes that would make more sense, I actually did think about that but wondered whether the vids get any kind of extra thrust when first published.

OP
OP
Immortal Explorer

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Why not just re-market it while it's up? That way you don't lose the data you did gather, and you can see if it did any any better :)
Wow, I just managed to find an unused gem. I managed to find the keyword "Markets for locals in South America" which scored 98 on the keyword finder. This is now the start of my title and description so fingers crossed.

Reactions: Damon

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
I hope you are doing more than just uploading a video and put a few keywords on it. With a low amount of subscribers, your videos need more ways to get traction.
I see you have an Instagram channel - did you create a post letting people know of your YouTube channel? How about the specific video?
The website seems to be for sale. Might want to remove it from your page if you're not doing a website.
Look at my channel - I am constantly posting to other networks. When I publish a video, I send it out to a few social networks where it can be seen.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Immortal Explorer

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I hope you are doing more than just uploading a video and put a few keywords on it. With a low amount of subscribers, your videos need more ways to get traction.
I see you have an Instagram channel - did you create a post letting people know of your YouTube channel? How about the specific video?
The website seems to be for sale. Might want to remove it from your page if you're not doing a website.
Look at my channel - I am constantly posting to other networks. When I publish a video, I send it out to a few social networks where it can be seen.

Hi, yes I do post to Instagram and Twitter etc, I follow all the best practice. And yes my domain ran out and so now I will have to pay some company $280 to get the name back, which I will when I have the money. With regard to my question, I was just wondering if there is a kind of (missed the boat) period where if your vid doesn't take off within the first few minutes the algorithm declares it worthless and doesn't show it to anyone.

Cheers

Alex

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
Hi, yes I do post to Instagram and Twitter etc, I follow all the best practice. And yes my domain ran out and so now I will have to pay some company $280 to get the name back, which I will when I have the money. With regard to my question, I was just wondering if there is a kind of (missed the boat) period where if your vid doesn't take off within the first few minutes the algorithm declares it worthless and doesn't show it to anyone.

Cheers

Alex

That is a tough question to answer. Good content will be found, and a video can get popular long after it gets posted. It's called "slow burn".

I've had videos blow up because the right person posts in the right forum. I've had videos ramp up to success.

But taking it down to put it up again - 98% of the time it's going to do the same thing.

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I agree. Doing more keyword research, retitling, re-tagging or even testing different thumbnails might be a good way to test this out.

Reactions: TubeBuddy and Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Absolutely Not! Don't take it down just because it didn't perform to your expectations!

For starters an under-performing video is an excellent opportunity to explore making changes to thumbnails and titles (you don't want to mess with a good video, right?). Second, videos can pop after an extended amount of time. You never know when the topic that the video covers could go trending. Or sometimes they just hit the algorithm after a few months and take off. Personally I have had nearly a dozen videos all go off after the 140 day mark. i don't know why, but that is just how my channel works. 140 days in they see a substantial uptick in views. Had one go off after 9 months... and I have heard stories of other channels seeing this after years.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I would not delete it. If it is not performing as you think it should, then you have a good opportunity to test different tags, titles, and thumbnails. See if you can generate more views. How is the retention? Once people click, are they staying? (like, are our videos as good as we hope they are?)
One of my best performing videos was almost stagnant the entire first year it was up. Now, 4 years later, it is one of the most viewed every month. It never was huge, but gets consistently good views and retention.

Reactions: Abandoned West KY