• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips ARE YOU LOOKING FOR SUBSCRIBERS? - This is what you should do

WHAT'S YOUR SOLE PURPOSE OF STARTING A YOUTUBE CHANNEL?

• BEING FAMOUS

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • PROMOTING A BRAND

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • EARNING MONEY VIA ADS

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • EDUCATING / PLEASING VIEWERS

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters

techseshbysesh

TubeBuddy User
ARE YOU LOOKING TO GAIN SUBSCRIBERS?

yes it is important! you me and others, we all want to grow on YT ! But pushing for subs is not exactly the way. Then how should you do it?

Stop expecting! start giving! - in simple, start giving something important to your audience/ viewers. concentrate on that. not on how many subs you have or will gain by a certain post. when the viewers are impressed by your content they will get hooked. they will expect such content then they will subscribe! Don't let the 'number of subscribers' get into your head and kill the motivation you have for this!

Personally, I started reviewing tech coz it's something I really love to do. to Give critical advice on s=certain things. to share my knowledge with others. Tech is harder to tackle when it comes to SEO but I've been getting decent exposure I have started accumulating tsubs coz I feel my audience is valuing my content. That is one awesome feeling! :D

Stay motivated! It's marathon for sure. not a sprint! nothing is actually!

All the best to all of you!
Sesh @ TechSeshBySesh

Poulpc

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
when I started my YouTube channel almost 13 years ago, I was just looking for a place to upload videos to show my friend, I didn't even know other people could see the videos, before some random guy commenting on one of them

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
Come on, we all know people start YouTube channels in the hopes of becoming monetized and earning enough money to leave the "9/5 crowd" for the "work all day and night creating content so your viewership numbers don't go down" crowd... :cool:

Guess I'm just the only one bold enough to actually vote "earning money via Ads"

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Come on, we all know people start YouTube channels in the hopes of becoming monetized and earning enough money to leave the "9/5 crowd" for the "work all day and night creating content so your viewership numbers don't go down" crowd... :cool:

Guess I'm just the only one bold enough to actually vote "earning money via Ads"

Actually no. I used it as a way to keep my editing sharp. Adsense is nice, but it's more like Adcents. I've found more success with affiliate programs, but more joy in helping others start their YouTube channels, and tell their stories. :)

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
Actually no. I used it as a way to keep my editing sharp. Adsense is nice, but it's more like Adcents. I've found more success with affiliate programs, but more joy in helping others start their YouTube channels, and tell their stories. :)
I'm so new to all of this that I don't know what affiliate programs are, how they work, etc. Any information you can share on that?

Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
@Statecraft Observer No worries: An affiliate program is an arrangement or partnership of sorts where a company has a product/service to sell, having been accepted int o their program, they will give you a unique link to their Web site/products. Every sale made through that link and you will receive a commission of that sale.

It's just the modern equivalent of a sales commission if you've ever worked in sales. The only difference is it's all online, and you are not limited to any one company. There are people who make $100Ks+ per year just in affiliate sales. It's a totally viable business model, especially when you yourself don't have a direct product or service to sell.

In essence the YouTube Partners Program is a form of affiliate sales in Google/YouTube. YouTube offers ad inventory to companies wishing to advertise online. Every click or sustained watch time on an ad--or whatever metric they use--you earn a portion of the ad sale, a commission.

What most people don't realize, you can totally go into business for yourself just on affiliate sales. There are different names for this, and most every company may call it something different, but ultimately it's a type of sales commission system.

The beauty is that when you have an audience of any size on YouTube, you can send them to the products/services that you love most and earn money even if you don't have anything to sell directly.

Last edited:

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
@Statecraft Observer No worries: An affiliate program is an arrangement or partnership of sorts where a company has a product/service to sell, having been accepted int o their program, they will give you a unique link to their Web site/products. Every sale made through that link and you will receive a commission of that sale.

It's just the modern equivalent of a sales commission if you've ever worked in sales. The only difference is it's all online, and you are not limited to any one company. There are people who make $100Ks+ per year just in affiliate sales. It's a totally viable business model, especially when you yourself don't have a direct product or service to sell.

In essence the YouTube Partners Program is a form of affiliate sales in Google.YouTube offer ad inventory to companies wishing to advertise online. Every kick or sustained watch time on ad--or whatever metric they use--you earn a portion of the ad sale, a commission.

What most people don't realize, you can totally go into business for yourself just on affiliate sales. There are different names for this, and most every company may call it something different, but ultimately it's a type of sales commission system.

The beauty is that when you have an audience of any size on YouTube you can send them to the products that you love most and earn money even if you don't have anything to sell directly.
Thank you for this information - this cleared things up greatly.

Next obvious question is how do you find Affiliates to work with when, as in my case, I have no "product" to sell other than my political opinion?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
That's a great question. In your case go directly to the journals, publications, think tanks and other companies organizations that have similarly aligned political views, and approach them directly.

Although not political, my favorite example of this is Vago Muradian over at the Defense and Aerospace Report. Vago is an independent journalist, and he reports on military technology, particularly aviation. He is directly sponsored by Boeing, Leonardo DRS and other heavy arms manufacturers. (It helps that the worked in the Pentagon for years and years, so he had tons of contacts to help out in the beginning.)

My point is that you have to dig and think entrepreneurially. You have to create opportunities for yourself. Most companies will not have an affiliate program set up, but there are other things like . . .

Well, part of your political opinion--I imagine--is educating people on what you mean. Have there been books on politics and government that you've read over the years that have changed your life? Audible.com is an Amazon company that has book on tape. (Audio books. No one does tape anymore.) Your audience is probably too busy to do a lot of heavy reading, thus they're listening to you. You can help them save time by recommending certain books on Audible.com and earn commissions there.

Also find YouTube history and education channels. See what companies they promote where they're offering a discount. For instance Brilliant.org gets promoted a lot on science channels. They probably have affiliate deals if you check.

You have to sit there are surf the net and watch other people videos too see what they're doing. Make some of these things happen for yourself. There are just little gold mines of affiliate deals to be forged out there. Many of which have not been started yet.

Again something like https://curiositystream.com/ was started by the guy who started Discovery Channel. There are tons of documentary films: many on history and politics. I've seen YouTube channels work out deals where they can give a discount on the streaming service by using that YouTuber's link. Undoubtedly they're earning a commission on that sale as well.

There are tons and tons of opportunities like that. Go directly to certain authors and see if you can do live streams with them and see if you can get something started with their publisher on and affiliate-like deal.

You just have to get out there with a machete and hack a trail.

Last edited:

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
That's a great question. In your case go directly to the journals, publications, think tanks and other companies organizations that have similarly aligned political views, and approach them directly.

Although not political, my favorite example of this is Vago Muradian over at the Defense and Aerospace Report who is an independent journalist who reports on military technology, particularly aviation. He is directly sponsored by Boeing, Leonardo DRS and other heavy arms manufacturers. It helps tha the worked in the Pentagon for years and years, so he had tons of contacts.

My point is that you have to dig and think entrepreneurially. You really have to create opportunities for yourself. Most companies will not have an affiliate program set up but there are other things like . . .

Well, part of your political opinion--I imagine--is educating people on what you mean. Have there been any book on politics and government that you've read over the years that have changed your life? Audible.com is an Amazon company that has book on tape. You audience is probably too busy to do a lot of heavy reading, thus they're listening to you. You can help them save time by recommending certain books on Audible.com and earn commissions there.

Also get on YouTube history and education channels and see what companies they are offering where there is a discount on something like Brilliant.org that a lot of science channels get affiliate deals with.

You have to sit there are serf the net and watch other people videos too see what they're doing and start makign some of these things happen for yourself.

Again something like https://curiositystream.com/ was started by the guy who started Discovery Channel. There are tons of documentary film on history and politics. I've seen YouTube channel work out deal where they can give a discount on the streaming service by using that YouTuber's link. Undoubtedly they're earning a commission on that sale as well.

There are tons and tons of opportunities like that. Not only that go directly to certain authors and see if you can do live streams with them and see if you can get something started with their publisher on and affiliate like deal.

You just have to get out there is a machete and hack a trail.
Fantastic advice!

Thank you for taking the time to write this out and respond to me. I greatly appreciate you for that.

ItsJustEmily13

I actually didnΓÇÖt know you could earn money when I started my channel

• Love
Reactions: PhatBeetz and Damon

GrumpaOriginal

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I have had a few other channels in the past than recently started a gaming channel cause I love playing games so figured let's throw it out there. Would I like to grow and make money off it...of course who wouldn't. I have always been an introvert so opening up on camera is helping me come out of my shell more and more. So its also kinda therapeutic. People say it can get toxic but I'm not really worried what others think because they don't know me, so their judgment doesn't matter. I'm in my late 40s, and at home most of the day with my at home business and make videos in my spare time. I would love to get more subs (currently 8) but it will come with time....never give up!

SBG GAMING

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

Nope I do it as a hobby and I don't thi k il ever apply for monitization and it's a great experience as soon as I start focusing on making money of it my mind set and personality will change into business mode which will not work

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I knew affiliate marketing existed as I've helped a few streamers as a moderator here and there. For gaming, companies are falling over themselves to get people to promote their items. From drinks to equipment and clothing as well as paid promotion to play games and direct sponsorship. The list is endless. I guess that Adsense is only one arrow in the quiver so to speak. For myself, at the moment this is a hobby to help push me out of my comfort zone but at the same time, I want to make the best out of it. I have a career and I've gamed since space invaders was a thing lol and played some games like Warcraft since the first code was written. I will go to the grave with my keyboard and mouse for sure but hopefully, that's a long time away. But it isn't the first time that a hobby has turned into a career. So enjoy the ride, do your damn best and keep pushing for the next best video.

PhatBeetz

Recognized Member
Subscriber Goal
Great thread! I agree 100%. Attitude creates altitude! I've always loved games for the storyline, the challenge, and the sheer joy of building and creating something towards an end. That drive goes to all aspects of my life, and I really enjoy my career and seeing connections among the things that I do. That's the whole point of being a content creator to me; to share what I enjoy and know.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Nope I do it as a hobby and I don't thi k il ever apply for monitization and it's a great experience as soon as I start focusing on making money of it my mind set and personality will change into business mode which will not work

That's a very good point. I can tell you for sure that if you focus on making money that your mindset will totally change. It's totally fine with only wanting to do YouTube as a hobby. In fact I think most people should decide up front with which path they want to go because it will make your journey so much more focused and easier no matter which path you chose.

Last edited:

SBG GAMING

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Did I would to treat youtube as a business or source of income all my silly jokes and stupid comments would disappear and I wouldn't be so entertaining

Jonnoi

Recognized Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal

Loool I mean ultimately I Think we all want that at the end of the day so yeah you're right. Don't Think there's a wrong answer ✌

Reactions: Statecraft Observer