• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Opinion Has your gear ever failed on you? IMO nothing feels as bad.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I was recording a video for TubeBuddy, and it went well was really happy with it! Went to the edit bay, and saw that my external audio recorder died, so I had to do the whole thing over again. I know in the future I need to check, and I have had that rule, but my gear showed two battery bars out of three, so I thought I was fine.

Have you ever had gear fail on you? What happened? Did you lose your stuff?

• Sad
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
All the time. I remember I was making a rather personal video, but the memory card I used at the time didn't mesh well with my audio recorder so everything got corrupted. Needless to say, I had to scrap that video lol

*I also had to scrap like 7 other videos 2 weeks ago before I made an idiot move and deleted my audio files without saving it beforehand >.>

Poulpc

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Elgato didn't an update a few years back, that made the program unstable, lost quite a few clips there for a period, until I found out why they have the older versions of their programs, but I've lost way more clips to human error, like when I'm playing with my friends and something funny happened in a game and the party chat makes it 100 times more funny, but I forgot to turn on record party chat :(

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Oh yeah... I have had memory cards die. On one trip my Fuji would not turn on. I had to download and reflash the firmware to get it working again (after I got home of course). Battery & power switch failure on my gimbal. Stuff happens. :)

But I also remember back in the oldey timey days when we went on trips and had like 3 rolls of 27 exposure film to last a whole week. No idea what the pics looked like until you got home and had them delveloped. All you could do was hope the pics worked out. Quite often they did not.

Ricksreview

Build It Yourself!
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I have back up on everything, I also have 3 large screens so I monitor as I record. But for out in the field, I only have my Go Pro, my Galaxy phone or my DSLR and my DSLR doesn't have a view screen that folds out.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
AAAAALLL-THE-TIME

The audio being a constant one. Or my computer will be drawing too much processor power so I'm actually only recording at like 1 frame a second.

Or something playing up in OBS meaning I'm THINKING i'm recording my screen, but the output video is simply black with audio.

The worst has to be when my DSLR shutter gave up the ghost completely. I can either get a second hand DSLR for $600, or spend $600 to get the shutter repaired :(

At the end of the day, it really does seem like recording with the phone is a lot easier. Just remember to HIT RECORD. I've also done a full video forgetting to hit record...

Quite a few videos I had no emotional energy to re-record.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Oh yeah, and don't forget to charge your batteries after your first day of VidSummit :p
the second day of VidSummit I sat around hoping the wall charger would charge my batteries quick enough to not miss certain things. Lesson learned there.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Oh, yeah! I was recording a fishing videos. I powered off the camera while the Ninja 2 was still recording. That was never a problem on my GH4, but the Z-cam E2C corrupted all the data on the Ninja 2. The whole day of fishing footage was lost.

RazzBarlow

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I've been pretty lucky on the audio, I guess. My Zoom H4N has served me well. I've had a couple of corrupted memory cards, then I numbered all my cards. Once a memory card gave me a problem, I set it aside. I would later do a test on that memory and if I got another failure, it went in the trash.

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
Not as much as when I first started back in the day (2008). It still happens, though.

I had a live stream last year where they wanted me to setup 30 min prior, stream an hour, and be out by the next presentation. For any live streamer, that is a tough order.
In my case, I lost my wireless router, which caused my PTZ camera to stop working. All I had was my primary camera. On top of that, the stream wasn't working because they wanted me to use the "Conference WIFI". I ended up using my phone service because it was more reliable.

• I had a recording go down because someone wanted to plug their phone charger in.
  • I had a beautiful mini-explosion of a mixer back in 2011
  • I have re-done whole shows about 50-60 times due to a failure
Then there are the times I re-did videos because the host was broken... (Host being me)