• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Should I create videos on topics that are over saturated on search?

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I have a few video ideas I would like to do but when I search for similar stuff on YouTube there is already a TON of similar videos. Should I just forget about them and go for something else or still make the videos to keep adding content to the channel? Thanks in advance!

• Love
Reactions: Damon and Zanet

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, you definitely have to drill down. For instance I'm about to start a YouTube channel teaching YouTube, a niche already full to the max, so you may think.

But, as a avid outdoorsman, there are complications and difficulties that adventurers and outdoors types have to deal with that no one talks about in the YouTube teaching niche. So I'll start a channel dedicated to helping Outdoors YouTubers break through the noise, build a business out of something they love while helping them to avoid cringe worthiness and technophobic aspects of getting started on YouTube. (Gotta slim down that missions statement, I know; I know.)

Also my fishing channel. Is fishing saturated on YouTube? Yes, but "no one" is talking about jug fishing, cane poles, handlines and other traditional methods of fishing. My entire business has been based on the things the big boys don't bother with or just only cover via a challenge or something.

This is called niche marketing or finding a niche. It's about looking at a marketplace that is already saturated on the top end, drill down lower and lower until you find a problem, want or desire that is not being met in the marketplace, then build your YouTube channel on that.

Yes, you will have to crank out lots of videos, but also use the resources here to help you find a niche. My YouTube channel has gone through several iterations until I decided on the current format of fishing adventure "films" on the main channel and YouTube teaching on the second channel. You can do the same. You will have to experiment, but you will also have to find a niche that is not being covered by the big boys.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy and Zanet

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, you definitely have to drill down. For instance I'm about to start a YouTube channel teaching YouTube, a niche already full to the max, so you may think.

But, as a avid outdoorsman, there are complications and difficulties that adventurers and outdoors types have to deal with that no one talks about in the YouTube teaching niche. So I'll start a channel dedicated to helping Outdoors YouTubers break through the noise, build a business out of something they love while avoiding the cringe and technophobic aspects of getting started on YouTube. (Gotta slim down that missions statement, I know; I know.)

Also my fishing channel. Is fishing saturated on YouTube? Yes, but "no one" is talking about jug fishing, cane poles, handlines and other traditional methods of fishing. My entire business has been based on the things the big boys don't bother with or just only cover via a challenge or something.

This is called niche marketing or finding a niche. It about looking at a marketplace that is already saturated on the top end, drill down lower and lower until you find a problem, want or desire that is not being met in the marketplace, then build your YouTube channel on that.

Yes, you will have to crank out lots of videos, but also use the resources here to help you find a niche. My YouTube channel has gone through several iterations until I decided on the current format of fishing adventure "films" on the main channel and YouTube teaching on the second channel. You can do the same. You will have to experiment, but you will also have to find a niche that is not being covered by the big boys.

Long tail descriptive keywords are the way to go! Example we did for Today's TubeBuddy video "YouTube Descriptions" are what we are targeting, but that's saturated, so we focused on YouTube Descriptions Bulk updating, we're hitting our target while informing of our new tool! :D

• Love
Reactions: Damon and Zanet
OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal

But, as a avid outdoorsman, there are complications and difficulties that adventurers and outdoors types have to deal with that no one talks about in the YouTube teaching niche. So I'll start a channel dedicated to helping Outdoors YouTubers break through the noise, build a business out of something they love while helping them to avoid cringe worthiness and technophobic aspects of getting started on YouTube. (Gotta slim down that missions statement, I know; I know.)

This is called niche marketing or finding a niche. It's about looking at a marketplace that is already saturated on the top end, drill down lower and lower until you find a problem, want or desire that is not being met in the marketplace, then build your YouTube channel on that.

Thanks for the great insight! Yeah I like the idea of finding a niche in your niche.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I agree
Find a niche
Grow in authority
Over time will find you start to dominate the saturated market
Why is it saturated, probably because it returns well at the top

So start low, work hard
I started here a few months ago with less than 50 subs , in 3 months of constant work im almost up to 400 subs

But what has also happened is my subscribers and visitors have pushed me into a niche, rather than me generalising on web design , I've niched into local search using GMB..its a very living being this SEO and Youtube work because its a real ever changing audience!
Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on hitting 400! in 3 months!

OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Long tail descriptive keywords are the way to go! Example we did for Today's TubeBuddy video "YouTube Descriptions" are what we are targeting, but that's saturated, so we focused on YouTube Descriptions Bulk updating, we're hitting our target while informing of our new tool! :D
Thanks Andrew. Yes I have been trying that as well and I find that some videos are ranking among the "big boys" lol.

Content with Depi

TubeBuddy User
I have a few video ideas I would like to do but when I search for similar stuff on YouTube there is already a TON of similar videos. Should I just forget about them and go for something else or still make the videos to keep adding content to the channel? Thanks in advance!
I think you should search for topics that are trending but make some small differences to add your unique touch and be different. For example one of my most viewed videos is the one I talk about how to save videos on Tik tok. Tik tok is definitely a trend and I created a tutorial video, which is what I used to to by then. This video gained me many subscribers and watch time. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I think you should search for topics that are trending but make some small differences to add your unique touch and be different. For example one of my most viewed videos is the one I talk about how to save videos on Tik tok. Tik tok is definitely a trend and I created a tutorial video, which is what I used to to by then. This video gained me many subscribers and watch time. Hope this helps
Yeah you have a good point. Thanks for the example! :)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Trending is dangerous, because if the trend dies your channel can die too, and you're always searching and running for trends, and that can be exhausting. A balance is what I'd recommend :D

OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Trending is dangerous, because if the trend dies your channel can die too, and you're always searching and running for trends, and that can be exhausting. A balance is what I'd recommend :D
Yeah that's true. I was thinking about that too. I think a mix of trending topics and evergreen content is good!

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal

Exactly. Last year this time there were a bunch of channels about the AAF. The Alliance of American Football was a spring football league. It lasted two weeks. There were a tons of channels that had gotten caught up in the hype leading up to opening day, but what happened, every singe one of those channels had to rebrand. Some of these channel went form nothing to 8k sub in a few days or something.

Build your own brand, and build your own products. It's the longer but often more sustainable path. There is nothing wrong with capitalizing on something, but ultimately trends do end. Then what?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Exactly. Last year this time there were a bunch of channels about the AAF. The Alliance of American Football was a spring football league. It lasted two weeks. There were a tons of channels that had gotten caught up in the hype leading up to opening day, but what happened, every singe one of those channels had to rebrand. Some of these channel went form nothing to 8k sub in a few days or something.

Build your own brand, and build your own products. It's the longer but often more sustainable path. There is nothing wrong with capitalizing on something, but ultimately trends do end. Then what?

Exactly! Ideally when the trend ends you can say. It doesn't matter, I know what my channel is about, and we're back to our regularly scheduled programming!

• Love