• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Legal to use celebs face

TheLyricSnitch

TubeBuddy Pro
I am in a hurry so sorry if this is a question already addressed. I see lots of people using celebs, singers, stars faces in their thumbnail, Ibwant to start doing this too, is it really legal, will I get in trouble. Aldo I have an old post and I don't know how to delete itm

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I am in a hurry so sorry if this is a question already addressed. I see lots of people using celebs, singers, stars faces in their thumbnail, Ibwant to start doing this too, is it really legal, will I get in trouble. Aldo I have an old post and I don't know how to delete itm

It's a grey area of YouTube. Who owns the rights to the photo you used? The celeb, the photographer, etc. Is it public aka able for anyone to use, or private with resale? It's one of those things, I can't give you a solid answer because it's too grey.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It's a grey area of YouTube. Who owns the rights to the photo you used? The celeb, the photographer, etc. Is it public aka able for anyone to use, or private with resale? It's one of those things, I can't give you a solid answer because it's too grey.

This. You'd have to consult a lawyer realistically. The original photographer would own the copyright to the photo, and the celebrity would own the copyright to the likeness. But if celebrities could sue tabloid magazines for using their likeness, there'd be no tabloid magazines. I know some celebrities have actually copyrighted their own face to ensure people cant use it.

That said, it's HIGHLY unlikely YouTube or anyone else would care. If the celebrity is dicussed in your video, go for it. Defranco does it all the time and I doubt he obtains any rights to use people's photos (maybe he does and I'm wrong)

IF you do ever find yourself in "trouble" for it, it would most likely be from the original photographer's lawyer asking you to take down the photo. The chances of that actually happening are incredibly low.

Reactions: TubeBuddy