• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Resources Tags??

SpiritualGuidanceNat

TubeBuddy User
www.facebook.com
Subscriber Goal
I have been hearing mixed things about tags on videos lately... Saying that tags don't matter on videos anymore .. surely that's untrue, Iam still tagging my videos (also not long learnt how to do that right haha) Nat

Poulpc

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
tags are super important if you can find the right ones to use as a small YouTuber, if you're a big YouTube and your audience keeps coming back tags don't matter that much

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I have been hearing mixed things about tags on videos lately... Saying that tags don't matter on videos anymore .. surely that's untrue, Iam still tagging my videos (also not long learnt how to do that right haha) Nat

Tags still matter, if they didn't YT wouldn't have added them to the new studio, or new upload page. The thing is people expect great tags to save bad quality videos, and that's not the case. They aren't the end all be all, but they still matter. Having good practices there help you understand who you're creating content for, and that's SUPER important, and tags can help you do just that.

OP
OP
SpiritualGuidanceNat

SpiritualGuidanceNat

TubeBuddy User
www.facebook.com
Subscriber Goal
Tags still matter, if they didn't YT wouldn't have added them to the new studio, or new upload page. The thing is people expect great tags to save bad quality videos, and that's not the case. They aren't the end all be all, but they still matter. Having good practices there help you understand who you're creating content for, and that's SUPER important, and tags can help you do just that.
Thank you yes I can relate to that

OP
OP
SpiritualGuidanceNat

SpiritualGuidanceNat

TubeBuddy User
www.facebook.com
Subscriber Goal
Happy to help! Now to continue this conversation, one word tags are pretty much NEAR impossible to rank for unless you're a massive YouTuber, but even then they don't stay ranking too long, since YouTube prioritizes relevancy.
Thank you I didn't know this... Iam if to tweak my tags

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been hearing some interesting things this last month, because I know people have been saying "tags don't matter" (keeping in mind those folks generally have well over 300thousand subscribers, so they're already ranking regardless)

But Roberto Blake predicted that the algorithm might be shifting closer towards search rather than suggested.

If tags weren't important, they wouldn't give us the ability to add them.

Sure, suggested and browse are apparently what people should be aiming for, but I still search specifically for a lot of videos like "how to edit with davinci resolve" I most recently searched "metal cover of madonna frozen"

There's a whole bunch of videos people are SEARCHING for. Do we get distracted with recommendations YouTube thing we'll rather watch? sure, but how often do you use the search bar? That alone should be enough to tell anyone that tags for search is still relevant.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
In the long-term search is the way to go. No matter what you'll have videos hit like three years down the road. Why? search. For whatever reason there was a spike in search on the terms you positioned way back when, and all your videos show up before anyone else does. Search is definitely a long-term "evergreen" ploy.

Content with Depi

TubeBuddy User
Tags are the only way to tell youtube what your video is about and define your target audience. OK and description and captios and your title but tags are the number 1.

Reactions: Jonnoi

McCloud94

TubeBuddy Pro
Tags can be useful if content in your video is commonly misspelled. Otherwise, tags play a minimal role in helping viewers find your video.

This is literally written underneath the Tags.
How is it then that everyone pays so much importance to tags?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Tags play a roll... it helps YT to focus on the specific keywords they find in your Title and Description when determining what audience to suggest the video to. Having tags also allows you to see where you rank for them, so it gives some feedback on how the work you are doing is performing and where your own focus should be. Individually they don't do much, but when combined with these other assets they can be valuable.

Reactions: Jonnoi and Ikerot

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
From my experience this past 2 weeks. I started using Tubebuddy Tag explorer effectively and my views hve increased without my taking out ads on facebook. I am still learning and working on it but it has made my video more searchable. It depends on your content. My videos are mainly on current events and issues so people use search engines for my topic a lot. Having the right tag and title have really made a difference. On the other hand, my competitor who started like 5 years ago with 200 subcribers don't use tags. I believe that for growing account all tools available should be used.

Jonnoi

Recognized Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
As a new YouTube I can surely say tags have really helped me to grow. And as @Stanley Orchard said It shows where your video is ranked in the search results.After that observation I made it my goal to use the tag section as best as I can using both short and long tail tags. Many successful YouTubers May say tags aren't that important anymore because they already have the their audience. I will forever use tags because they make your video search results more specific in case you didn't mention in your title or video description

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB