• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Requests for a Shout-Out

StarrSales

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Good morning all! I have two YouTube Channels and want to get people to notice. Right now I have 20 subscribers for one and none for the other. Other creators have talked on their videos about other channels and how good they are and recommended their subscribers go to that channel to see for themselves, then post a link in the video description. When I do this and request a shout out from people with similar content, I get crickets. I get that you are busy and it isn't like I am stealing money from you. I understand if you say no (and my respect for your willingness to help others will be lowered significantly), but I think it is cruel of you to ignore me like I wasn't even there. If you want to do something, you make time in your busy life. (OK end of rant)

What can I do to get these people to pay attention other than making a :cold_sweat:video about how they don't pay attention and don't care enough to reply? I am very frustrated with this. Thanks for reading.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Lets just say shoutouts RARELY do anything.

Take for example the pewdiepie shoutout competition he did... LOTS of channels were shouted out in that video... maybe one or 2 actually got any traction from it, the rest of those channels still didn't grow. They're nice, but I wouldn't rely on them

Also, ASKING for shoutouts is usually the quickest way to have your request deleted, ignored, or even worse, BANNED. There's a reason why ASKING for shoutouts results in crickets.

When someone asks for a shoutout, to me it just speaks of self centeredness, sorry to be harsh there, but when you're asking for a shoutout all you're doing is making it about yourself.

Your content should be about providing something to the audience, not growing your own ego, asking for more attention and asking for shoutouts simply points out this "me me me" attitude and I'm personally not a fan of it.

I'll give shoutouts from time to time, but I guarantee that the people who get a shoutout from me have no idea it's coming. It's up to other creators to decide how generous they want to be.

I get that shoutouts are nice... but ASKING for shoutouts just doesn't sit well with me at all.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Lets just say shoutouts RARELY do anything.

Take for example the pewdiepie shoutout competition he did... LOTS of channels were shouted out in that video... maybe one or 2 actually got any traction from it, the rest of those channels still didn't grow. They're nice, but I wouldn't rely on them

Also, ASKING for shoutouts is usually the quickest way to have your request deleted, ignored, or even worse, BANNED. There's a reason why ASKING for shoutouts results in crickets.

When someone asks for a shoutout, to me it just speaks of self centeredness, sorry to be harsh there, but when you're asking for a shoutout all you're doing is making it about yourself.

Your content should be about providing something to the audience, not growing your own ego, asking for more attention and asking for shoutouts simply points out this "me me me" attitude and I'm personally not a fan of it.

I'll give shoutouts from time to time, but I guarantee that the people who get a shoutout from me have no idea it's coming. It's up to other creators to decide how generous they want to be.

I get that shoutouts are nice... but ASKING for shoutouts just doesn't sit well with me at all.

Beanie is pretty spot on. Also asking for shoutout doesn't work really well. Moved this to YT stragegies under need advice.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I think the best kind of shoutouts are from people you know and you don't have to ask. And you know that they like your content instead of just giving a shoutout just because.

I don't know who the people you asked for a shoutout for, but it's in good practice to not ask for shoutouts. As @Beanie Draws said, it can get you banned. I've gotten a shoutout before, and you know what happened? Nothing really lol. In the end, collabs work way better than a simple shoutout. :)

OP
OP
StarrSales

StarrSales

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
One of the lessons I have learned as I have gotten older is that nice girls don't make history and that, to quote Eleanor Roosevelt, it is easier to get forgiveness than get permission. What a world we would live in if people looked more often from their ivory tower and said a few nice words to help another person who is struggling so. There is nothing in the YouTube rules that say one cannot or should not ask for a shout out. If I were an insect on your foot I could either sting you and risk getting smacked into bug Vahalla or you could just shoo me away. I subscribe to a lot of people, both with personal interests and to people I consider colleagues. I comment on their channels telling them that I appreciate their efforts, tell them the name of my channel and ask them to look when they have a minute. Since I can see views and subscriber requests, they do nothing. That is why I used the insect analogy. No one will notice me unless I am a pain. I don't feel entitled to it. I see it as a courtesy. If you become successful what the HELL is wrong with people who refuse to help others? You are encouraging bad karma here and I am the nuisance???

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
One of the lessons I have learned as I have gotten older is that nice girls don't make history and that, to quote Eleanor Roosevelt, it is easier to get forgiveness than get permission. What a world we would live in if people looked more often from their ivory tower and said a few nice words to help another person who is struggling so. There is nothing in the YouTube rules that say one cannot or should not ask for a shout out. If I were an insect on your foot I could either sting you and risk getting smacked into bug Vahalla or you could just shoo me away. I subscribe to a lot of people, both with personal interests and to people I consider colleagues. I comment on their channels telling them that I appreciate their efforts, tell them the name of my channel and ask them to look when they have a minute. Since I can see views and subscriber requests, they do nothing. That is why I used the insect analogy. No one will notice me unless I am a pain. I don't feel entitled to it. I see it as a courtesy. If you become successful what the HELL is wrong with people who refuse to help others? You are encouraging bad karma here and I am the nuisance???

Well, first of all, generally speaking "shoutout" is flagged by YouTube as "spam" and generally get's "held for review" in comment sections, and depending on how busy "bigger" channel comment sections are, it could take weeks, if not months for channels owners to look into the "spam" folder that YouTube often puts such requests into. That right there might be why you get no response from people, because they've never seen your request to begin with, because YouTube has most likely sorted it into a spam filter. You could also be one of hundreds of other people asking for the same shoutout.

I think you're approach of this is all wrong, you may THINK the more noise you make means the more attention you get, but you'll be getting the wrong kinds of attention.

Ike was correct about collabs being far more worthwhile than a shoutout.

I've been shouted out by a channel with over a million subscribers, and a channel with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, neither shoutout did anything to grow my channel at all.

Instead of asking for a shoutout, you know what generally gets a lot more attention from a creator... you telling them how much their content has made an impact on your happiness, how much they have changed your life. Don't expect any return, don't put hints that you want something out of it, simply say something really nice without any expectation of reward, and you MIGHT discover they mentioned you somewhere, they might highlight a super nice comment in their stories, or on twitter, some people even mention comments in their own videos if the comment really made them feel something.

OP
OP
StarrSales

StarrSales

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I don't write things that say that their channel is my savior, but I do tell them I appreciate their hard work because I know that running a channel is hard. I have two-remember? YouTube does prohibit spam but they do not prohibit these requests. Spam has always been subjective to the receiver anyway. In my regular work life, I have been asked to keep in touch and when I did I was accused of spamming, so I don't give any validity to your argument. I also get that you are a shark who has forgotten how to scramble and you have no time in your life to use your words to help others. You have done everything but stomp on my carcass, so I will let you stew and will never bother you again unless I must. Please have a nice a nice life and don't argue with your karma.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't write things that say that their channel is my savior, but I do tell them I appreciate their hard work because I know that running a channel is hard. I have two-remember? YouTube does prohibit spam but they do not prohibit these requests. Spam has always been subjective to the receiver anyway. In my regular work life, I have been asked to keep in touch and when I did I was accused of spamming, so I don't give any validity to your argument. I also get that you are a shark who has forgotten how to scramble and you have no time in your life to use your words to help others. You have done everything but stomp on my carcass, so I will let you stew and will never bother you again unless I must. Please have a nice a nice life and don't argue with your karma.
I was simply trying to give you some insight as to why OTHERS might not like people asking them for shoutouts, but if you want to call me a shark for giving you some honest reality advice without lying to you, that's on you (as you say, don't argue with your karm)

Instead of just saying "it's not a good idea" I like to give some insight and perspective as to WHY it might not be a good idea, but it's up to you now how you interpret other people's perspectives when they don't align with what you want. I don't mean them as attacks as you're interpreting them

I do hope your channel goes well, it's tough out there.

Reactions: TubeBuddy