• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Advice for beginners

Kuerton

Subscriber Goal
I just started my channel and I was needing advice for being a beginner. The do and donΓÇÖts .

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've moved this to YouTube Strategies as it's not a TubeBuddy specific question, but there are definitely a lot of resources on the TubeBuddy channel that can help, as well as Nick Nimmin's channel.

But to get you off to a good start, DON'T beg for subs, DON'T sub for sub, and DON'T spam :)
DO learn graphic design (lots of tutorials on youtube) because THUMBNAILS are almost more important than your video it'self :)

I see a lot of beginning channels that use a screenshot or whatever the default thumbnail is, but you actually have the option to upload a custom thumbnail and I HIGHLY recommend that.

Again, learn some graphic design concepts because not everyone has graphic design skills, so that would be my first tip :)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Do identify your target audience, do research for videos before you make them, do find what makes you the happiest to create! Do, look at the creator academy! Do download TB ;)

Don't take it too seriously, Don't sub 4 sub it's against YT Tos, don't expect overnight success, especially if you haven't done any of the fundamentals!

Reactions: Kuerton and Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
And also what we enjoy may not be scalable to build a YouTube channel. For instance if you have a Mount Everest channel, well, you can't climb Mount Everest three times a week! So, you may have to do content you hate like teaching tutorials on tying mountain climbing rope knots or something.

Or you may enjoy the tutorials, but your people don't care about them and only want to see you climb Mount Everest. Sometimes you just can't scale what you're passionate about.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Sometimes you just can't scale what you're passionate about.

I'd argue you can, but it'll take YEARS most people take five years on platform average to hit 1,000 subscribers imagine the scale of growing that everest channel. HOWEVER, since it's so unique it could just work. All up to research, good content, and a little bit of luck.

TinyBatchGoods

Subscriber Goal
I'd argue you can, but it'll take YEARS most people take five years on platform average to hit 1,000 subscribers imagine the scale of growing that everest channel. HOWEVER, since it's so unique it could just work. All up to research, good content, and a little bit of luck.
Also, the personal definition of success matters. If they are after a high sub-count, maybe they should focus on making content that is scalable. If they are after just sharing something they enjoy with a niche audience, that could be success to them.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Also, the personal definition of success matters. If they are after a high sub-count, maybe they should focus on making content that is scalable. If they are after just sharing something they enjoy with a niche audience, that could be success to them.

True as well! I guess it goes to show what we all find successful! Me I find it in telling stories, that inspire and help others. I can do that through tutorials, or films I'm happy either way!

Reactions: TinyBatchGoods

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal

Okay, I see what you mean: The time frame would be much much longer to accumulate the mass/backlog of videos needed. Also that's what I mean by scale: the backlog.

Reactions: TubeBuddy
OP
OP
Kuerton

Kuerton

Subscriber Goal
Learn about filmmaking, video production and/or graphic design. They will help you make better content and thumbnails. Don't worry about other people's success. You just focus on getting better everyday.
I have realized using my phone is so much hard than I thought . What is a good camp for filling would you recommend? Also I figured out how to be more creative with my thumbnails but how would that attract my audience if I have no subscribers . I have many views but no one really subscribed to my channel.

TinyBatchGoods

Subscriber Goal
If you can, set the ISO of the camera to a low number, things will get dark - Set the F-Stop to something like 1.8 (Lower = more light, shallower depth of field) - Then set the Shutter speed to be double your frame rate, which in your case is most likely 60.
Then, if its dark, Add more lights, That'll help give a more cinematic look.

Next up is audio.. For that, you're going to want to get yourself either a Lav microphone or some sort of shotgun microphone. Get that setup (pointed at your chest for a shotgun microphone, placed near your chest with a lav) - You can get wireless lav microphones these days that can record directly to your phone.

Make sure to sync the audio and video recording with a loud clap. It'll make editing easier later.
If you can, say a take number at the front of the audio too, makes it easier to find it.

Put them together in a video editor and you should have good audio and lighting.

TinyBatchGoods

Subscriber Goal
If you can, set the ISO of the camera to a low number, things will get dark - Set the F-Stop to something like 1.8 (Lower = more light, shallower depth of field) - Then set the Shutter speed to be double your frame rate, which in your case is most likely 60.
Then, if its dark, Add more lights, That'll help give a more cinematic look.

Next up is audio.. For that, you're going to want to get yourself either a Lav microphone or some sort of shotgun microphone. Get that setup (pointed at your chest for a shotgun microphone, placed near your chest with a lav) - You can get wireless lav microphones these days that can record directly to your phone.

Make sure to sync the audio and video recording with a loud clap. It'll make editing easier later.
If you can, say a take number at the front of the audio too, makes it easier to find it.

Put them together in a video editor and you should have good audio and lighting.
Oh, also low ISO = less noise. Higher ISO numbers introduce noise which some phones try to remove, which can lead to blurry artifacts.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You can get away with a bad camera with good lighting and audio
Funnily enough one of my highest viewed and commented video, is also one of my worst sounding
but in my niche, as long as you can see the drawing, the audio isnΓÇÖt always as important. Art can even transcend language. I get a lot of compliments from Spanish speakers. but itΓÇÖs harder to forgive a poorly lit video. I usually find it difficult watching poorly lit videos.

Reactions: TinyBatchGoods