• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Zooms vs Primes?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Now that I have a cinema camera, I'm considering saving up to buy a real cinema lens. There are tons of old Super 16mm lenses out there. Do you use zooms or primes mostly?

Daan

I mostly use Primes on my bmpcc4k. I use the meike 12mm, 16mm and 25mm. All T2.2 . The con is that its very expensive for an indie filmmaker and if your on a budget a zoomlens would be a better option maybe because you cover all the vocal lenghts.

• Love
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Nice! I've been using old Canon FD stills primes. I love the vintage look. Vintage is a good way to save cash and still get good glass.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Now that I have a cinema camera, I'm considering saving up to buy a real cinema lens. There are tons of old Super 16mm lenses out there. Do you use zooms or primes mostly?

I use primes, but don't estimate the power of a good constant aperture zoom. Each lenses has it's only strengths, just depends what would you want the primes for? :)

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, the reason I have been using vintage stills primes is because they are affordable, easily accessible, high quality glass. Fast affordable glass was the goal when I collected my current Canon FD set. The reality is there is a tons of fast affordable 16 and Super 16mm glass out there.

For me I want the Super 16mm look more than anything. I love my Canon FD glass, but I want that Super 16 look. That's the main reason I want a Super 16 zoom. The only problems with Super 16 glass is often the minimal focal distance is something like 5 feet. That's fine when I'm behind the camera, but in front of the camera I'd still rely on my 24mm and 50mm macro for close up work.

So a 15-150mm Canon Super 16 T.V. lens paired with my 24mm and 50mm macro Canon FD would be a simple, versatile set.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Back when I was more into photography I was hearing about the importance of prime lenses for sharpness and focus. Apparently to get the best bokeh and aperture you need a prime lens.

I mean, when you think about it, for talking head videos and interviews, you don't need a zoom lens. Record with a prime and do your zooms in post because unless you have a camera operator, you won't be doing zooms anyway.

Though a 15-140mm would be nice, that way you get those wide angle frames while being able to get the zoomed shots you otherwise wouldn't be able to see in a pinch, and in some situations you don't want to be walking around with multiple lenses, and sometimes you don't have enough time to change lenses before the subject goes away.

In a studio I'd go prime. Out and about I'd go zoom.

Reactions: TubeBuddy and Damon

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I use primes, but don't estimate the power of a good constant aperture zoom. Each lenses has it's only strengths, just depends what would you want the primes for? :)
I agree. I use constant aperture zoom lenses a lot especially for event coverage and wedding films!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree. I use constant aperture zoom lenses a lot especially for event coverage and wedding films!

They're so good! I just purchased a few more, and it really changes things! I love my primes for interviews or talking head coverage, but when running and gunning you can't beat it!

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
They're so good! I just purchased a few more, and it really changes things! I love my primes for interviews or talking head coverage, but when running and gunning you can't beat it!
Couldn't agree more!