• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review New YouTuber on the Block | Looking for some honest feedback as I have recently started a YouTube channel

RonZena

TubeBuddy User
User name: RonZena
Title of thread: New YouTuber on the Block | Looking for some honest feedback as I have recently started a YouTube channel
Self review: Hey y'all I am new to YouTube and it definitely feels like I am the new girl on the vlog. At the moment, I only have 4 videos uploaded but now that I have a vlogging camera *insert YAY sound effect* I plan to start uploading regularly. I am looking for advice on anything from equipment, to layout, timing etc. My audio has been an issue when filming so if anyone has recommendations for any mics. that would be greatly appreciated as well!
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcWfBQW6RPg4YxX9hi3-bw?view_as=subscriber
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/23475/post-62458

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello @RonZena,

Before I give you my thoughts let me first say that this is just my opinion. It's meant to be constructive criticism I the hope helps you grow your channel. You are, obviously, in no way required or obligated to take my advice. My goal is to simply provide my view based on my experience as both a viewer and a YTer. With that said...

I'll start with the channel art. The banner is beautiful. Very eye-catching. There are a couple of things I would suggest adding and maybe changing. First, the white box around the name slightly disappears around the white side of the background. I think you should consider changing the color of the part of the white box within the white part of the background to match the light purple color of the other side. Kinda like symmetry. That way the box can be seen all around the banner and it won't disappear when it passes over the darker purple of the center box. I would also suggest adding a subtitle to your banner, something that describes what the channel is about, something short, sweet and to the point, in a smaller text, under the name. That way people know what your channel is about when they visit the channel page. Also adding a simple schedule of your videos in the banner helps people know when to expect your next video if you have a schedule. Like, say "new videos weekly, daily, monthly, etc".

The video titles could use a bit more consistency. This is mostly just for visual effect. Some videos have all caps, others have all lower caps, others have several words in all caps and other words with caps and no caps mixed. I would suggest using Caps on each word and all CAPS when you want emphasis on certain words.

On your videos, your intro is really nice but I would personally recommend a shorter intro. You'd be surprised how often people get turned off by long intros and believe it or not 15 seconds is long for a lot of people. People often just want to get to the content. Some may even suggest scrapping the intro altogether. I like intros, short intros. It adds to the brand. I keep mine to 5 seconds for now and as I get a larger audience I can extend it a bit more as I update it. I try to base my videos on how I look at other people's channels and avoid what I don't like in their videos, such as long intros.

Your videos are well composed. I would suggest adding some simple transitions between scene changes for a nice effect. Nothing too fancy or exaggerated. Also you should add more of your voice to the videos. People will wanna see and hear you more in your videos.

If you wanna promote your own videos more I would recommend a static ending to the video of at least 20 seconds long, an endscreen where you can add links to previous videos and a link to your subscribe button right on the video from the upload settings. This is also a great chance to add your voice and remind people to subscribe if they want more of your videos and to watch your previous videos. Makes it more personal and can get people's attention.

Your thumbnails are fantastic. My only suggestion is to make sure your text is more visible on the thumbnails. Either use a bigger or thinker font or like your second video put the text in an area that has very little background that can distort the text and make it harder to read plus make sure to use light colors on dark backgrounds or vice verse. Consistency can be nice on thumbnails. using specific fonts and styles for your text can create a brand that will make your videos more easy to find through the thumbnails.

This is my take on your channel and videos. Like I said it's only meant as constructive criticism, it's not intended to insult or hurt you in any way. Just giving you some ideas that could potentially help make your YTing experience better. Thank you.

OP
OP
RonZena

RonZena

TubeBuddy User
Thank-you for taking the time to compose a well constructed response! I really appreciate you not simply skimming over my channel but actually delving deeper into my channel to figure out where my structural weakness lie and relaying it back to me! I will definitely take your critiques and apply it to future videos. :)

Reactions: Damon and BraveStar

Barryb64

First, I would like to welcome you to the club. I notice in the description that you asked about audio gear. May I suggest getting a $20 lavalier Microphone? It will help the viewers hear your voice and cut down on the background noise. I got one and the audio quality is phenomenal; as opposed to a straight smartphone. I have the wired version. There should be a wireless one available.

I certainly liked teh text transition. Nice touch. You may want to put the text in bold; so the text stands out better. The next comment may be a reflection of my first point. Did you say that we're watchinng a "road trip"? I didn't catch that? Don't worry, you should have seen some of my earlier videos.

skrach

Subscriber Goal
I recently tried two different wireless lavelier mics if you are interested in Barry's suggestion.

One wifi and one that used traditional UHF frequencies. The wifi one was a less than satisfying experience. It didn't work half the time due to interference and I had no ability to change the spectrum. The UHF one has been much better because I can scan the frequency bands for a clear channel if needed.

I realize that wasn't exactly your question, but since lav mics were mentioned and I recently had to go through that issue... I thought I'd offer the benefit of my recent experience.

Good luck to you.

-skrach

Just Terry Being Me

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
User name: RonZena
Title of thread: New YouTuber on the Block | Looking for some honest feedback as I have recently started a YouTube channel
Self review: Hey y'all I am new to YouTube and it definitely feels like I am the new girl on the vlog. At the moment, I only have 4 videos uploaded but now that I have a vlogging camera *insert YAY sound effect* I plan to start uploading regularly. I am looking for advice on anything from equipment, to layout, timing etc. My audio has been an issue when filming so if anyone has recommendations for any mics. that would be greatly appreciated as well!
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcWfBQW6RPg4YxX9hi3-bw?view_as=subscriber
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/23475/post-62458
Hi I just viewed some of your videos on your channel. I love the animation!