• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Evaluating "Redesigning Godzilla"

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So like all my thumbnails, I'm trying to find a balance between detail and simplicity. I'm trying to flex my art skills by showing off how much detail I managed to show off, but keeping the overall design as simple and minimal as possible with a splash of detailed red to really grab your eye.

Initially i was going to call this "Drawing A New Godzilla" but over the time of creating it (I also recorded the design process) I tried to narrow down everything this video is about in 2 simple words.

I'm hoping it does enough to say everything it needs to say, without oversaying things.

If you see anything in there that I've missed or have any suggestions, I'm all ears, but I think I'm pretty proud of this one, and I may try and change my older thumbnails to possibly follow this design style.

Redesigning Godzilla.jpg

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I LOVE IT! Also that Godzilla looks amazing! Makes him look more like a real dinosaur! Looks like a lil bit of Carnotaurus in there :eek:

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I LOVE IT! Also that Godzilla looks amazing! Makes him look more like a real dinosaur! Looks like a lil bit of Carnotaurus in there :eek:
It's actually fused with Indominus Rex which has a bit of carnotaurus in it I believe :) but i do need to get my carnotaurus video edited as well :p I appreciate that :D and a good eye :)

Reactions: Aaron

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
First, let me say the thumbnail looks amazing and so does the redesigned Godzilla. With that said I have to say I prefer the look of the current Godzilla. I like how his nose is longer than on this one. That's all. But I can't help it, I've been watching Godzilla since I was a child, I'm a huge fan, have every movie so I am a bit picky about the looks. Let's just say I didn't mind the 1998 New York version with Matthew Broderick but I didn't like how they made him look more like a lizard, less like Godzilla.

Second, this is just a suggestion/idea. Have you considered doing a half-sketched/half complete image thumbnail? I hope you don't mind but I took your image and just made a rough draft concept of what I mean. The black and white side is the design before its colored in. I think it would look great. Of course, it's just an idea. :grinning:

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
First, let me say the thumbnail looks amazing and so does the redesigned Godzilla. With that said I have to say I prefer the look of the current Godzilla. I like how his nose is longer than on this one. That's all. But I can't help it, I've been watching Godzilla since I was a child, I'm a huge fan, have every movie so I am a bit picky about the looks. Let's just say I didn't mind the 1998 New York version with Matthew Broderick but I didn't like how they made him look more like a lizard, less like Godzilla.

Second, this is just a suggestion/idea. Have you considered doing a half-sketched/half complete image thumbnail? I hope you don't mind but I took your image and just made a rough draft concept of what I mean. The black and white side is the design before its colored in. I think it would look great. Of course, it's just an idea. :grinning:

View attachment 3041

The "redesigning" was more a way to fuse it with jurassic world because it just kinda popped into my head at some point, but I agree with you, I prefer current godzilla as well. I like to muck around with ideas sometimes hehe.

As for the suggestion, I kind of like that idea. I think I played around with it once before on an old video, but I guess the only way to truly know is to try the A/B feather
@Andrew @Aaron what do you think of the idea? :) it could be a way to blend my black and white, and colour style on a lot of my more recent videos too. I mostly went with the full colour style for impact, but you could have a point there with this idea.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The "redesigning" was more a way to fuse it with jurassic world because it just kinda popped into my head at some point, but I agree with you, I prefer current godzilla as well. I like to muck around with ideas sometimes hehe.

As for the suggestion, I kind of like that idea. I think I played around with it once before on an old video, but I guess the only way to truly know is to try the A/B feather
@Andrew @Aaron what do you think of the idea? :) it could be a way to blend my black and white, and colour style on a lot of my more recent videos too. I mostly went with the full colour style for impact, but you could have a point there with this idea.

I've seen other videos of art where they use part of the sketch and part of the final work and it looks really cool to see a before and after style on the thumbnail.

Reactions: Beanie Draws